Lack of a true Center et cetera

Ckelle

Reaction score
It has been years. Someone posted that we were becoming guard U. Couldn't agree more. Not being to adequately compete on the boards is stunting the program. Defections through the portal is also a killer. Lindsay said on KFAN that other programs are being hit also. True. Some coming from head coaching changes but other program are basically losing backup players. The Gophers losing front line starters is a disaster. Perfect time (minus the ill advised extension) for a coaching change.

It has been years. Someone posted that we were becoming guard U. Couldn't agree more. Not being to adequately compete on the boards is stunting the program. Defections through the portal is also a killer. Lindsay said on KFAN that other programs are being hit also. True. Some coming from head coaching changes but other program are basically losing backup players. The Gophers losing front line starters is a disaster. Perfect time (minus the ill advised extension) for a coaching change.
FYI…..Maryland lost 5 players to the portal in which 2 were their top players. No coaching change and they were 23-9.

FYI…..Maryland lost 5 players to the portal in which 2 were their top players. No coaching change and they were 23-9.
Maryland lost players because they left looking for NLI money, Minnesota lost players due to poor coaching. Big difference. Brenda will recover quickly because she knows how to coach.

Glad your first post is to join all the other new members to the WBB forum to call for a coaching change. You might want to read the numerous other posts on this topic where the title didn't confuse your main point. Also, Destinee Oberg who plays the center position is returning home to MN to play for the Gophers.

It is true that the Gophers have lacked a true center for awhile. Oberg hopefully will alleviate the problem but I think they need another Big to spell her. Many teams are loaded with guards because they play run-and-gun. The 3-point play has become critical in today's game. Comparing Minnesota basketball to Maryland BB reminds me of the TV analyst comparing Minnesota volleyball to Maryland VB. She said, 'Maryland is rebuilding every year whereas Minnesota is reloading every year. Both Gopher basketball teams have a long way to go to the reloading every year stage.

It is true that the Gophers have lacked a true center for awhile. Oberg hopefully will alleviate the problem but I think they need another Big to spell her. Many teams are loaded with guards because they play run-and-gun. The 3-point play has become critical in today's game. Comparing Minnesota basketball to Maryland BB reminds me of the TV analyst comparing Minnesota volleyball to Maryland VB. She said, 'Maryland is rebuilding every year whereas Minnesota is reloading every year. Both Gopher basketball teams have a long way to go to the reloading every year stage.
My point of comparison with Maryland is that ALOT of teams have ALOT of players in the portal! Not just losing teams or not just players unhappy with their playing time. I do realize our two programs are at totally different ends of the spectrum.

Glad your first post is to join all the other new members to the WBB forum to call for a coaching change. You might want to read the numerous other posts on this topic where the title didn't confuse your main point. Also, Destinee Oberg who plays the center position is returning home to MN to play for the Gophers.
I hope the best for Oberg, although thinking she will prevail any better in Minnesota after a bleak stat line at Arkansas {1-pt per game & 1.6 Reb.} a Razorback team desperate for frontcourt rebounding...would be a reach, unless she improves overnight...Minnesota needed to be extremely active in the transfer portal with all the abundant roster defections, thus far time is everything with several key players already finding new colleges.....

I hope the best for Oberg, although thinking she will prevail any better in Minnesota after a bleak stat line at Arkansas {1-pt per game & 1.6 Reb.} a Razorback team desperate for frontcourt rebounding...would be a reach, unless she improves overnight...Minnesota needed to be extremely active in the transfer portal with all the abundant roster defections, thus far time is everything with several key players already finding new colleges.....
This is relatively meaningless given her average of ~6 minutes/game. The vast number of those minutes were in 3 or 4 games so it skews the average up. Most of the games she was in for only a couple minutes. The last couple minutes of a game are rarely productive since the winning team is really trying to milk the clock.

Minutes/game is more of a concern to me than this stat line, i.e. does the coach really think she can't contribute enough to get more minutes? or are the other players ahead of her so much better? or does she not fit the scheme? I don't know the answer to these but I suspect the answer to the 3rd is that, YES, she doesn't fit the scheme since she is the only player listed as a center and they are guard heavy.

Given her meager game minutes one really needs to watch her play and/or talk to her current or past coaches to have a good evaluation about what she can bring to your team. I did a breakdown of her and Helgren in another thread (based on the limited stats and some video cuts of her), and I feel good about here being a net improvement over Helgren. But I do still have doubts, as you clearly do too. I would love to see another center with a stronger division 1 resume or at least 1-2 big forwards with a stronger resume.

Arkansas is the one sec team that plays a 5 out system that tries to play fast and shoots alot of 3's. I do think she was a bad fit there. I think she can be a fine backup center in a 15-20 minute a game role. I dont expect much more than that though.

Top Bottom