Kyle Theret

Nomellini

Reaction score
This spring we were in Grand Teton and stopped in at this western bar in Jackson Hole. I was wearing a Gopher hat and this guy came up and sat down next to my wife and me. We got to talking about Minnesota and after a while he mentioned that he had played for the Gophers and had 9 interceptions in his first 3 seasons and was headed for the school record but didn't get any in his last year (2010). I was taken aback and more than a little incredulous until he introduced himself as Kyle Theret. We spent an hour talking about specific plays from his largely painful Gopher era and he was hilarious as the memories flowed. His buddies stood by patiently waiting for him to wind up our conversation so they could hit another bar but he didn't want to leave. He is half-owner of a western-hat store down the street from the bar where we sat. I did some checking on the store site and he is doing very well. He is something of a genius when it comes to designing hats! Who knew?

That's a great story. I believe he went to HS with Clint Brewster and a lot of people thought he was originally offered because he was like buddies with the coach's son but Kyle turned out to be a really good player for us.

This spring we were in Grand Teton and stopped in at this western bar in Jackson Hole. I was wearing a Gopher hat and this guy came up and sat down next to my wife and me. We got to talking about Minnesota and after a while he mentioned that he had played for the Gophers and had 9 interceptions in his first 3 seasons and was headed for the school record but didn't get any in his last year (2010). I was taken aback and more than a little incredulous until he introduced himself as Kyle Theret. We spent an hour talking about specific plays from his largely painful Gopher era and he was hilarious as the memories flowed. His buddies stood by patiently waiting for him to wind up our conversation so they could hit another bar but he didn't want to leave. He is half-owner of a western-hat store down the street from the bar where we sat. I did some checking on the store site and he is doing very well. He is something of a genius when it comes to designing hats! Who knew?

What's the western store?

Love that story. Always like him and pulled for him. Glad to hear things are going well for him.

Didn't he play HS ball with Brew's kid in CO?

That guy gave his heart and soul on the field. He was a 180lb safety who wasn't afraid to take on anyone. I'm not sure he would have been the most physically talented safety in the MIAC.

Whew....sometimes when a thread pops up about an ex-player it is bad news. Glad to hear Kyle is doing well, good dude, solid player.

Didn't he play HS ball with Brew's kid in CO?

That guy gave his heart and soul on the field. He was a 180lb safety who wasn't afraid to take on anyone. I'm not sure he would have been the most physically talented safety in the MIAC.
He mentioned that he hoped to be red-shirted in 2007 so he could bulk up some. He knew he was undersized at that time. But the season went south so dramarically that he was asked to play and did so all through that death march.

Theret & Ryan Collado are two guys that left everything they had on the field. Another was Bryan Cupito in the '04 Music City Bowl.

I will always be fans of them. Great story & great to hear that he's living the dream!

Theret & Ryan Collado are two guys that left everything they had on the field. Another was Bryan Cupito in the '04 Music City Bowl.

I will always be fans of them. Great story & great to hear that he's living the dream!
Agreed, they were both undersized, Theret and Collado both they played their rear ends off. Seemed a lot of guy's had to play Brewster's first year because of attrition and just how banged up and slow the older guy's seemed on that defense. They were really thin in the back 7 to start those years.

Top Bottom