Ky Thomas enters the transfer portal again

Has anyone explained how some of these players are transferring multiple times?

maybe I'm slow today, but I thought you got one "free" transfer.

after that, any subsequent transfers you either sat out a year or applied for a waiver on family or medical grounds - which is why Dawson Garcia is playing hoops this year for the Gophers - his 3rd school in 3 seasons.

unless the NCAA just said fook it and is handing out waivers like people in supermarkets handing out free samples of pizza rolls.

after that, any subsequent transfers you either sat out a year or applied for a waiver on family or medical grounds - which is why Dawson Garcia is playing hoops this year for the Gophers - his 3rd school in 3 seasons.

unless the NCAA just said fook it and is handing out waivers like people in supermarkets handing out free samples of pizza rolls.
There was a story I ran across recently that said the NCAA was going to try to grant fewer waivers for second transfers or something like that. But it also had a component that would make it pretty easy to work around in order to get a waiver.

Can't remember where I saw it though.

Almost. He needed to go in the portal, commit to Georgia, back out and return to Kansas then go to Kent State to complete the full cycle. :)

Mason:
Kent State
Kansas
Georgia for 7 days
Kansas
Minnesota
You forgot Ohio State for 15 minutes in his mind.

I believe the NCAA granted a second free waiver (or one easily obtainable) for anyone playing during the short Covid year.

If he hasn't graduated with a Bachelor's degree from his credits at the U and Kansas, then there is no possible justification for granting Ky Thomas a waiver to be immediately eligible at Kent State for the 2023 season, and I hope he has to sit out.

If he did graduate, then good on him and good luck this coming fall.

There was a story I ran across recently that said the NCAA was going to try to grant fewer waivers for second transfers or something like that. But it also had a component that would make it pretty easy to work around in order to get a waiver.

Can't remember where I saw it though.
I like the waiver explanation a prior poster gave: Ky wanted to move further away from his family!

I like the waiver explanation a prior poster gave: Ky wanted to move further away from his family!
and how many P5 programs are going to give scholarships to guys that have to sit out a year?

Gophers had nothing behind Mo this year. Ky would have looked very good behind Mo. Now he can pound sand.

Respectfully, it absolutely is common sense that Trey is better than Ty, from a statistical standpoint alone. Sure, Trey didn't do much outside of the first handful of games this season and he looks like he lost a step, but he put up better numbers. Last year Trey's and Ky's TD numbers were identical while Thomas had 50 more rushes due to Trey's injury.

Thomas was the fourth (sixth if you include qbs) best running back on a 6-7 Kansas team this year. If Thomas was a phenom like Bucky Irving he'd have the stats to show it. I'd take Potts over Thomas any day. Plus, we have a stable of good backs coming up who have stayed patient and remained here.
Not sure what games you watched this year, but Potts was
Pots is 100 percent better than Ky. KY didn't do dick at an inferior Kansas program he was what 5th string there. Potts was the bell cow or KY and bucky pre injury and he will prove it again next year when he gets more carries. Dude was leading the big ten in rushing pre injury. KY will be at an FCS program next fall or at best a mediocre G5
Potts only excelled at stutter-steps (going nowhere) or losing yards running sideways. He had a rough year. Not sure what you were watching this past year.

Top Bottom