Ky Thomas enters the transfer portal again

As an IT (now College of Science and Engineering) grad who has several friends that are lawyers, I will agree with that statement. 🙂 Doesn't mean they aren't smart though just because they had easier classes.
No, it doesn't make lawyers automatically dumb but it definitely doesn't make them automatically smart.

If you can read a book and memorize a few things, you can drink your way through college and do alright in law school.

As an IT (now College of Science and Engineering) grad who has several friends that are lawyers, I will agree with that statement. 🙂 Doesn't mean they aren't smart though just because they had easier classes.
So true.

The majors that heavily encouraged taking easy classes to up your grades always seemed suspect to me.

He looked great pre-injury. I think his drop off this year has to be injury related.
I think it's Mo related. Fleck rode one back this year. When Potts has significant carries he's fine.

I don't really have any skin in the game and think there <1% that he comes here (so you're saying there's a chance!)...

I keep hearing Potts 2021 vs 2022 and how he may have lost some abilities (or still recovering possibly).

Barely any talk of Ty 2021 vs 2022. What about his 2022 numbers (53 for 162 (3.2 yards per carry)) are making people think he's been progressing and would be an upgrade? I'd argue it was more OL from 2021 as everyone was cranking out yards...even freaking LeCaptain! My best guess is that they're a wash.

Hopefully. He was our #1 against Purdue and he was so awful that he got benched at halftime.
Potts missed the next game (Illinois) with a back injury, so perhaps he was hurt during the Purdue game which limited his effectiveness and playing time.

I don't really have any skin in the game and think there <1% that he comes here (so you're saying there's a chance!)...

I keep hearing Potts 2021 vs 2022 and how he may have lost some abilities (or still recovering possibly).

Barely any talk of Ty 2021 vs 2022. What about his 2022 numbers (53 for 162 (3.2 yards per carry)) are making people think he's been progressing and would be an upgrade? I'd argue it was more OL from 2021 as everyone was cranking out yards...even freaking LeCaptain! My best guess is that they're a wash.

I saw the 2022 numbers too and was a little shocked. If Thomas wasn't hurt, his 2022 3.1 YPC is not good and would explain the lack of carries. Still, Thomas had similar numbers to Irving last year, both near 5 YPC. No doubt the OL had something to do with that.

Ky's best games in 21 were against Colorado (of course), Maryland, NW, and then had a really nice bowl game. I'm using 5yd/attempt as a yardstick for "good".

He did average 4.3 y/a against Iowa on 29 carries, so most probably would say that was a solid game too.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ky-thomas-1/gamelog/2021/

Just didn't get anywhere near that run this year with KU. Not really comparable.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ky-thomas-1/gamelog/2022/

Potts missed the next game (Illinois) with a back injury, so perhaps he was hurt during the Purdue game which limited his effectiveness and playing time.
I'm rooting for him and the Gophers, so I hope you're right.

Also (and I have no idea, didn't watch a game of theirs) if KU did most of their running plays out of a shotgun spread offense, that is probably a lot different feel of running than what we were doing?

Also (and I have no idea, didn't watch a game of theirs) if KU did most of their running plays out of a shotgun spread offense, that is probably a lot different feel of running than what we were doing?

Without watching more than maybe 5 minutes of Kansas this year, my hunch is that Kansas used Thomas in short yardage situations into stacked boxes. If he didn't break any big runs off from that, the YPC average would be terrible.

Along with average Yards Per Carry average, the nerd in me would love to see the median Yards Per Carry. That stat would probably paint a significantly different picture for the Gopher backs.

I saw the 2022 numbers too and was a little shocked. If Thomas wasn't hurt, his 2022 3.1 YPC is not good and would explain the lack of carries. Still, Thomas had similar numbers to Irving last year, both near 5 YPC. No doubt the OL had something to do with that.
While here, he seemed to lack that next gear that other great backs have. (Mo doesn't have it either but has SO many other skills he is still a phenomenal back). Ky seemed to be able to get all the yards the OL opened for him and a few extra after that. He could be Potts 2.0 or a slightly better Potts...not sure that's worth disrupting the RB room. Again, I've watch about 10 minutes of Kansas football this year lol

Without watching more than maybe 5 minutes of Kansas this year, my hunch is that Kansas used Thomas in short yardage situations into stacked boxes. If he didn't break any big runs off from that, the YPC average would be terrible.

Along with average Yards Per Carry average, the nerd in me would love to see the median Yards Per Carry. That stat would probably paint a significantly different picture for the Gopher backs.
I watched Kansas a bit this year and he actually looked really slow to me. I know that probably sounds weird because I'm saying I'd take him back (maybe I'm talking myself out of it), but I think he was also out of shape and pretty slow.

His problem is that he's not that big for a power back - he's the smallest of the Kansas RBs, so if his quickness gets impacted, he's not very good.

If you remember, this was a problem here in 2020 where PJ talked about needing to get him into shape. I think he was out of shape last year.

I watched Kansas a bit this year and he actually looked really slow to me. I know that probably sounds weird because I'm saying I'd take him back (maybe I'm talking myself out of it), but I think he was also out of shape and pretty slow.

His problem is that he's not that big for a power back - he's the smallest of the Kansas RBs, so if his quickness gets impacted, he's not very good.

If you remember, this was a problem here in 2020 where PJ talked about needing to get him into shape. I think he was out of shape last year.

I took a look at their roster and Kansas does like big RBs. It sounds weird to hear Thomas is the smallest RB just based on last year where he was clearly the better option in short yardage situations over Irving.

He looked great pre-injury. I think his drop off this year has to be injury related.
Agree. When he gets to the line, he seems to slow down and almost stop. When he runs wide, he seems hesitant and typically ran for no gain, on wide runs. IMO

Go watch Potts’ high school tape. He does a ton of east west running where he was faster than the competition. He still does that too much sometimes.

Guessing it was a reference to Willis
I think so too, but he’s being pretty generous with saying “it worked out well” for the team. I know Willis did ok, but not much team success.

I was referring to mentally being able to be back to pre-injury form - good gosh, he had an internal injury from my understanding. Needed to get back on the field to start building the confidence that he can take some hits and trust his body again - some players might not have even come back from that to step on the field. I think we need to have more patience an understanding.
Don't get me wrong, I hold no ill will and based on how bad the injury appeared to be I totally get it. And if it is mental and he does get passed it I will gladly eat my words! But this is big time college football not rec league he needs to produce or take a backseat to someone else who can.

I think so too, but he’s being pretty generous with saying “it worked out well” for the team. I know Willis did ok, but not much team success.
He played solid and it didn't blow up the lockerroom is how I meant it.

I think we as fans overblow the impact on the lockerroom this stuff has.

No, it doesn't make lawyers automatically dumb but it definitely doesn't make them automatically smart.

If you can read a book and memorize a few things, you can drink your way through college and do alright in law school.
But then there's the bar exam.

Top Bottom