Kudos to the Student Section

began11

GOPHER11
Reaction score
They were very loud and crazy last night. I almost felt sorry for #5 and the "Airball" chants!

I thought they were mean to the Siena coach.

Yeah, the basketball student section has been great. As much as I've ragged on the students for their terrible showings at football games this year, the basketball student section has shown up and been very involved this year.

Shown up? I was disappointed that there were hundreds and of empty seats in the student section (and throughout the building).

Agreed - great job. Ya'll seem in sync, which is where the power is. One note: After the "Tubbbbyy Smiiiitttth" announcement before the game, I love the bowing. But if it was all in sync, that would look awesome, and be repeated on TV a LOT - that is, bowing up-and-down at the exact same time. It looked good, but everyone was bowing separately.

Obviously, this needs a leader and everyone else to follow that person or those people. Is there someone everyone could key off/follow?

Keep it up!!

Oh come on, from the opening tip on he was constantly berating his players or the refs or both. Even when his team was doing well he was screaming at someone. At one point he almost pushed one of his players to the ground as he sent him to the scorers table. If he doesn't deserve to take some heat from us, nobody does.

never been to a bball game. how big is the student section? 500? 1000?

Imitating the coach at the very end of the game was classic. He didn't know what to do.

Also excellent work on the countdown at the end of the shot clock for Siena.

That "Airball" chant for #5 Griffin needed some work. They were doing it too fast. Old people around me thought they were saying "terrible."

Can we chant for Nolen to pass to Blake to hit free throws at the end of games?? Haha.

I skipped my night class for this game, a buddy had a ticket but couldn't go. Well worth it, the Rodney alley-oop was sick!

I was on the other side of the student section and couldn't really hear what they were saying, what was the chant against the coach?

The chant against the coach wasn't really a chant. Just every single time he faced the student section when he was pacing down the sidelines the student section all just threw up their hands in the air and imitated him getting pissed off and yelling at the refs.

I watched the game on tv and was impressed with the student section. They were loud, had some great chants, didn't die down as Gophers trailed. Had me wishing I was a student so I could join in the madness.

I am in section 105 and the entire area was doubled over in laughter at the end of the game when the students were imitating the coach...

I was about 10 rows back in the barnyard section and by the end the game the whole section was doing it every time the coach turned around towards us. It took him a while to notice but once he did the look on his face was priceless, he didn't know what to think. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Its too bad you couldn't really see it on TV, it was pretty funny.

We had a lot of fun in the SS last night. It obviously helps when there is a fun opponent in those non-conference match-ups which can often be very boring. It also helps when the Gophers have an athletic team that can fly around the court and play with some emotion (Mbakwe comes to mind). It just makes the games more enjoyable during the non-conference part of the schedule. The BigTen games are usually loud and fun regardless of the opponent (except for Iowa, they sucked last year and it was boring).

I am in section 105 and the entire area was doubled over in laughter at the end of the game when the students were imitating the coach...

I had a midterm last night and got there by the 15 minute mark of the 1st half. I love basketball games... They're the funniest and best to go to...

I love mocking the coaches that are a$$holes to their players.

Go Gophs!!! Should be a great year!

From Section201

Being an old Norwegian in Section 201 rafters, the student chants are as decipherable to me as the PA System.

Wish I had a quarter for every tinme I turned to me wife and asked, "what are they saying?"

:)

Originally Posted by sec105

Oh come on, from the opening tip on he was constantly berating his players or the refs or both. Even when his team was doing well he was screaming at someone. At one point he almost pushed one of his players to the ground as he sent him to the scorers table. If he doesn't deserve to take some heat from us, nobody does.

I was being facisious. I thought the students were great and very funny. I have always loved the left right left chant on foul outs.

One thing I have noticed the more savy players do is stand until just before our player shoots his free throw and then sit down. The students erupt with "SIT DOWN" and it could disrupt the shooter. It is always funny especially when we are winning.

I was being facisious. I thought the students were great and very funny. I have always loved the left right left chant on foul outs.

One thing I have noticed the more savy players do is stand until just before our player shoots his free throw and then sit down. The students erupt with "SIT DOWN" and it could disrupt the shooter. It is always funny especially when we are winning.

I admit, the left right left right sit down chant is one I CAN understand.

:)

the coach was great to make fun of. ha.

the barn got super quiet midway through the 1st while a siena guy was shooting FTs, he made the first, i yelled 'you still suck' and then he bricked the next one...with how quiet it got no way he didnt hear me... :3

The mocking of the coach at the end of the game was worth the admission price. Fabulous. Was somebody wise enough to record it from the opposite side?

Top Bottom