KUDOS - To Students upper\lower deck for staying the whole game!

Parski1

Banned
Reaction score
KUDOS to students for staying the whole game! Since the first game at TCF (Air Force) the student section upper\lower stayed for 4 quarters. Wish there was support good and bad - but they represented today! So student section...jump on it...jump on it...jumo on it!!

+1.

Although a stronger turnout last week (NMSU) than this week (Miami)...fact is that those who came STAYED for the most part.

Plus, the cheering and noise was there to the end too. This is a good thing.

Progress is occurring slow but sure.

Go Gophers! In Kill We Trust!

I was a little nervous at the start of the game when I looked up and noticed the upper bowl still empty, but when I turned around a few minutes later I was quite impressed with the turnout. Keep it up students!

Best bottle-necking at the exit since the Air Force game, which is a very good sign. Definitely noticed some thinning out over the course of the game around me in the upper rows of the lower deck, but not nearly as much as in previous games. Pretty good amount seemed to stay through Hail, Minnesota! too.

The coach has definitely created a bond with the students. It was great how they chanted "Jerry, Jerry" at beginning and end of the game--when was the last time a coach ellicited such a positive response?

There are always more students than there appear to be. They pack at least an extra 5 bodies per row per section in the lower bowl.

I've never said the student section was perfect, but they have shown up in higher % of total seats than season ticket holders have game in and out the last 3 years. The maroon/gold seat backs make it a lot harder to tell the true number of fans in the regular seats but I assure you even when this board is calling out the student section if you look at attendance overall they are pretty darn good. They responded very well to a tough loss last week where the rest of us did not.

I've never said the student section was perfect, but they have shown up in higher % of total seats than season ticket holders have game in and out the last 3 years. The maroon/gold seat backs make it a lot harder to tell the true number of fans in the regular seats but I assure you even when this board is calling out the student section if you look at attendance overall they are pretty darn good. They responded very well to a tough loss last week where the rest of us did not.

I think your a little off on students showing up at a higher percentage then season ticket holders...but still one of the best games at TCF for students staying for 4 quarters. Keep supporting your student athletes!

I think your a little off on students showing up at a higher percentage then season ticket holders...but still one of the best games at TCF for students staying for 4 quarters. Keep supporting your student athletes!

I only have a small sample of pictures with a good comparison of in-game attendance of student section vs season ticket holders, but I'll give it my best using just USD from last year:

2010 vs USD
CIMG2273.jpgCIMG2274.jpg

Here's a couple more of the sidelines during the games without the student section to compare:

2009 vs SDSU
CIMG1269.jpg

2010 vs Northwestern (pre-game but seats were clearly 60-70% empty)
CIMG2283.jpg

2009 vs Purdue (student section only but check out the empty seats directly near it)
CIMG1189.jpg

I guess it's totally a judgment call but when I look back at picture comparisons I see a lot (percentally) of open seats in the regular seats and the student section mostly full (most students who buy tickets come, how long they stay is another question entirely).

As people always state (and I can attest to after sitting in the student section for a year for most of the games) upper deck seats being open is indicative of students packing 4-5 people for every 3 spots. Next game, count how many clearly empty chairback seats there are on the sidelines vs student section. It may not be a good test since so many Bison fans will be there, so maybe we wait til the B1G season?

The coach has definitely created a bond with the students. It was great how they chanted "Jerry, Jerry" at beginning and end of the game--when was the last time a coach ellicited such a positive response?

There are always more students than there appear to be. They pack at least an extra 5 bodies per row per section in the lower bowl.

True about cramming extra bodies in tight corridors but nothing that can't be fixed with a decade or two of tailgating as true Gopher fans! By then, they'll be harden fans and will need an extra 5 or more inches of seat space like us ol' timers ;-)
GO GOPHERS both young and old!

I only have a small sample of pictures with a good comparison of in-game attendance of student section vs season ticket holders, but I'll give it my best using just USD from last year:

2010 vs USD
View attachment 1128View attachment 1129

Here's a couple more of the sidelines during the games without the student section to compare:

2009 vs SDSU
View attachment 1130

2010 vs Northwestern (pre-game but seats were clearly 60-70% empty)
View attachment 1132

2009 vs Purdue (student section only but check out the empty seats directly near it)
View attachment 1131

I guess it's totally a judgment call but when I look back at picture comparisons I see a lot (percentally) of open seats in the regular seats and the student section mostly full (most students who buy tickets come, how long they stay is another question entirely).

As people always state (and I can attest to after sitting in the student section for a year for most of the games) upper deck seats being open is indicative of students packing 4-5 people for every 3 spots. Next game, count how many clearly empty chairback seats there are on the sidelines vs student section. It may not be a good test since so many Bison fans will be there, so maybe we wait til the B1G season?

I don't think pre-game counts because the lower bowl does not start to fill until 5:00 before game time. We will have to wait for the Big 10. We can't compare Nebraska because they are the best traveling team in the country and I heard they already have 20K taken up. It will be red...and that's too bad.

I don't think pre-game counts because the lower bowl does not start to fill until 5:00 before game time. We will have to wait for the Big 10. We can't compare Nebraska because they are the best traveling team in the country and I heard they already have 20K taken up. It will be red...and that's too bad.

You're right about pregame, which is funny because this picture is taken with only 5:00 to go before the game starts. All that is left to do in the pregame routine is march Our Minn downfield, get in position for the gauntlet/national anthem, get off the field and do the coin toss. I remember this game specifically and it was surprisingly empty.

There are a lot of late arriving fans. Many of the tailgators have to squeeze in one last hot dog or beer before they make there trek to the stadium. I would be willing to bet there are 10,000 to 15,000 or more fans that arrive late every game.
The seats next to us on both sides these are the same people since year one in TCF and they are always late. Many do not realize how good the pre-game is because they are always gone or arrive late. Victory walk is the same way most cannot be bothered to show up early.

Top Bottom