KSTP: U of M Compliance Staff Member to Travel on Road Trips

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://kstp.com/news/university-of-minnesota-coyle-athletics-ncaa-stollings/4283289/?cat=1

The University of Minnesota is taking steps to monitor its athletic program.

This season the University will have a compliance staff member travel on road trips to make sure all NCAA regulations are being followed. It's a new initiative by U of M Athletic Director Mark Coyle since taking over the department earlier this year. A staff member will travel with the football team, along with the men's and women's basketball teams.

"The more we can spread the word about what we do from an internal standpoint administratively we love those folks to be part of our program," Women's Basketball Head Coach Marlene Stollings said

so we're paying someone to watch over the coaches shoulders to make sure they fill up their gas tank and don't tip more than 15%.

I wonder do you suppose this happens at Ohio State or Michigan or even Iowa? Is it a directive from the Board of Regents or President? Maybe this was a requirement for Coyle to be hired. Perhaps the Star Tribune or KSTP thought this might be a way to investigate the athletic department.

Or - Coyle feels that rules are not being followed correctly, and feels this is necessary to prevent any violations - intentional or unintentional.

If you need this, you have the wrong people leading your athletics programs.

On another note, this person will undoubtedly be paid way to much money for essentially playing glorified mall cop.

Why just the men's bball/football and women's basketball? I find that interesting; just luck of the draw or do those staff have reputations? We know Pitino doesn't know **** from shinola when it comes to money, but Claeys?

Why not just have bodycams and monitor from a central nerve center? Cash cards instead of credit cards?

Why not just let the NCAA do their (porous) job of enforcing the rules and save the cash? I can't recall a major scandal that would have been prevented by having a compliance officer traveling with the team. Anyone?

The Compliance Officer will, of course, need to be monitored.

The Compliance Officer will, of course, need to be monitored.

I doubt it. There is a more likely chance that the U will hire a consulting firm that will organize a committee which will form a search committee that will recommend the school select a candidate who was the most obvious person right from the start though. That's how things get done at the U administration.

I should add this whole process will take no less than 9 months before a compliance officer assigned to this job is selected.

I doubt it. There is a more likely chance that the U will hire a consulting firm that will organize a committee which will form a search committee that will recommend the school select a candidate who was the most obvious person right from the start though. That's how things get done at the U administration.

I should add this whole process will take no less than 9 months before a compliance officer assigned to this job is selected.

At the cost of 1.5 million dollars

And then select the wrong candidate.

This person is only going along to make sure the gas tanks are filled when rental cars are returned.

you do realize that the committee will have to be monitored by the ACLU as well as a lieutenant from the NCAA to make sure they aren't violating Title nine. Then of course the Governor's office will need to kept in the loop and let's not forget that the Star Tribune will need representation. Otherwise the "big Chip" will have to write his columns sitting on stool - wait a minute, that's where he writes them now. Maybe he doesn't need the committee after all.

On another note, this person will undoubtedly be paid way to much money for essentially playing glorified mall cop.

If they were paid hourly or paid overtime, you'd have a great point. They're taking an empty seat on an already booked charter plane.

The things we b*tch and moan about.

This sounds like the communist party submarine monitor role.

If they were paid hourly or paid overtime, you'd have a great point. They're taking an empty seat on an already booked charter plane.

Second that.

See nothing wrong with this. Coyle is a smart man, not a buffoon like the previous AD. This is not a big deal.

It's Thursday, what else is there to do? ; )

I'm sure it's not too much more money, but it certainly isn't free. Food, lodging, etc.

In general, I think the Athletic Department needs to be coming up with ways to make or save more money, not finding more ways to spend it. That's all.

Why just the men's bball/football and women's basketball? I find that interesting; just luck of the draw or do those staff have reputations? We know Pitino doesn't know **** from shinola when it comes to money, but Claeys?

Why not just have bodycams and monitor from a central nerve center? Cash cards instead of credit cards?

Why not just let the NCAA do their (porous) job of enforcing the rules and save the cash? I can't recall a major scandal that would have been prevented by having a compliance officer traveling with the team. Anyone?

To answer the bolded part I think that is where the highest likelihood of inappropriate activity would take place due to the amount of money involved. Though men's hockey would certainly seem like a more likely candidate than women's basketball...

However, wouldn't Title IX dictate that they would need to have equal monitoring of men's and women's programs??? :)

This person is only going along to make sure the gas tanks are filled when rental cars are returned.

AND making sure Richard Pitino is not taking his dogs on the road trip at U expense.

This is the dumbest drama since the demand for names of Claeys supporters...

Color me unsurprised that a fanbase which glorifies widespread systemic academic cheating would mock and ridicule sincere attempts to foster a culture of compliance.

Finding something overwrought and relatively pointless is not the same as finding it an important topic.

Serious question: are there staff that are full-time compliance officers, or is this a collateral duty like laundry officer in the military? What do these folks do during a typical 9 hour day? I envision holding in-services, reviewing receipts, etc. Are they really performing surveillance of employees and staff? Cloak and dagger stuff? I'm genuinely curious.

Finding something overwrought and relatively pointless is not the same as finding it an important topic.

Serious question: are there staff that are full-time compliance officers, or is this a collateral duty like laundry officer in the military? What do these folks do during a typical 9 hour day? I envision holding in-services, reviewing receipts, etc. Are they really performing surveillance of employees and staff? Cloak and dagger stuff? I'm genuinely curious.

Here's one example:

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/8470773/compliance-analyst

Responsibilities: • Analyze information provided by student-athletes on required NCAA, Big Ten and institutional eligibility forms; • Review all department expenditures related to student athlete recruiting, team travel, team meals, awards, and other student-athlete expenses; • Monitor student-athlete part-time and summer employment, vehicle and housing arrangements; • Manage all aspects of Jumpforward software, responsible for daily management of software, including coordinating educational efforts for coaches and staff, serving as liaison between software company and department. Provide software support and troubleshooting to coaches and staff. • Oversee distribution and completion of all Big Ten, NCAA and institutional compliance documentation each fall and spring for all sports • Review and approve team travel rosters; • Review and approve weekly practice logs; • Approve complimentary admissions for student-athletes; • Monitor meals, snacks, and per diem provided to student-athletes; • Monitor promotional activities for student-athletes; • Coordinate approval of non-university activity and employment of DIA staff; • Review camp personnel and compensation for compliance with NCAA rules; • Assist in the preparation of the Compliance Office Annual Report as well as NCAA surveys and reports. • Knowledge of and compliance with, specific NCAA, Big Ten Conference, and institutional rules that relate to this position is required.

Who Cares?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who Cares?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a big deal. But I suspect you would find it equally pointless if you were footing the bill. You're not, so...

How many of these rascals do we have running around? Fascinating stuff. Still sounds like a collateral duty description to me.

It's not a big deal. But I suspect you would find it equally pointless if you were footing the bill. You're not, so...

How many of these rascals do we have running around? Fascinating stuff. Still sounds like a collateral duty description to me.

Have you ever looked at the athletic department staff? There's a whole hell of a lot of people doing things supposedly important. No different than most any other place--price of big-time college athletics.

Amazing how many people are indignant about this.

Top Bottom