KSTP hating on the gophers and Jerry Kill

SDGopherFan

Reaction score
I'm not sure who these Judd & Phun guys are but they are blasting the sh!t out of then for basically everything, gray is horrible, Nelson is horrible and shouldn't be playing, North Carolina lost to Duke and we're ducking them, Max Shortell should transfer and is not good enough to ever play again, wtf? who the hell are these guys, did the university of MN's check bounce this week. I am frustrated as anyone but why does the media have to overreact on everything, jeezus balls, it is what it is, its the gophers, were they expecting a rose bowl.

The media in the Twin Cities is so conditioned to pro sports that they have no perspective on what it takes to win in college athletics.

The gophers are 4-3 in year 1.5 of Jerry Kill's tenure. Wisconsin is in year 6.5 of Bielema's tenure (or year 21.5 of the Alvarez system), Iowa is in year 13.5 of Ferentz's tenure and Northwestern is in year 6.5 of Fitzgerald's tenure.

There's nothing wrong with hoping the gophers were playing better or hoping they would have won at least one of the past three but expecting them to be much farther ahead and ripping them for being "horrible" is idiotic given where the program has been and where it's currently at.

Just trying to generate phone calls and web hits. After the past week ripping the Gophers or talking about the Vikings. That's all they got.

Turn the channel or don't tell anybody you listen. That's your only shot, unless they beat the Boilermakers of course! Then all will be forgiven.

I have already tuned out KFAN for any reasonable gopher talk for the morning time slot, hadn't realized these KSTP bozos were as bad, over reaction, the sky is falling radio. Back to Bob and Tom unless someone has a recommendation for morning radio.

if you like music, the u of m radio station is one of the best (in my opinion) radiok.org

I think once we start winning (which we will), the good press will come. They are too chicken to stick their neck out for a rebuilding program.

As much as I hate the ripping and negativity from the media what else can we really expect from them right now? The team is on a three game losing streak, the coach and AD made fools of themselves with the UNC mess, and all they have been getting out of Jerry is one excuse after another about how young the team is and how it can't compete.

The print media has not been all that hard on the program but the radio guys need to get people movitvated to listen and talking Gopher football by saying the team will be good in a couple of years isn't going to motivate anyone to call into the show. They are going to go with the general tide of the program and things have not been good the past couple of weeks.

Then i'm apparently not normal, because this radio bit they are putting on does not motivate me to call in it motivated me to turn the channel.

As much as I hate the ripping and negativity from the media what else can we really expect from them right now? The team is on a three game losing streak, the coach and AD made fools of themselves with the UNC mess, and all they have been getting out of Jerry is one excuse after another about how young the team is and how it can't compete.

The print media has not been all that hard on the program but the radio guys need to get people movitvated to listen and talking Gopher football by saying the team will be good in a couple of years isn't going to motivate anyone to call into the show. They are going to go with the general tide of the program and things have not been good the past couple of weeks.

Then i'm apparently not normal, because this radio bit they are putting on does not motivate me to call in it motivated me to turn the channel.

Nope, me either; but that's why they can't fill 50,000 seats Saturday at TCF either. There are far more cynics and/or haters out there than ticket buying fans or even die hard loyalists of Gopher Football.

I'm usually a huge fan of Judd & Phunn. Judd is usually pretty level headed when it comes to talking about the Gophers (something everyone else in the Minnesota media isn't), but he went off the deep end today.

The media is blowing this up. The Vikings are doing well, so they feel they can tee off on the Gophers. You will never hear anyone in this state talk about Christian Ponder (who by the way threw for like 6 yards yesterday) like they do about the Gopher's Quarterbacks. It's just a bias. Nothing more.

The media is not supposed to be a cheerleader.

They are negative because things are negative right now. Decades of losing, terrible play on the field, and horrible decisions by the idiots running the football program will do that.

Its amazing how fans think the media should be a program builder. Don't write a negative article......cause in 4 years we MIGHT be good.

Teague and Kill don't care about media coverage, if they did they would have played UNC. Ultimately it comes down to winning, not much point in worrying about much else.

For the record I am not wanting a cheerleading radio station, thats the other reason I can't stand KFAN and PA (vikings), but is there nowhere in between, can radio personalities talk about a team and not cheer or rip them to death. I think it reflects laziness, my quess is they don't invest much time in really anything having to do with there show and really just skip around topic to topic sport to sport.

The media is not supposed to be a cheerleader.

They are negative because things are negative right now. Decades of losing, terrible play on the field, and horrible decisions by the idiots running the football program will do that.

Its amazing how fans think the media should be a program builder. Don't write a negative article......cause in 4 years we MIGHT be good.

The media is negative about Gopher football because Gopher football has been one of the worst programs in America for the last 50 years. Honestly sometimes I am surprised sometimes that the media still cares enough to talk about Gopher football at all.

I'm not sure who these Judd & Phun guys are but they are blasting the sh!t out of then for basically everything, gray is horrible, Nelson is horrible and shouldn't be playing, North Carolina lost to Duke and we're ducking them, Max Shortell should transfer and is not good enough to ever play again, wtf? who the hell are these guys, did the university of MN's check bounce this week. I am frustrated as anyone but why does the media have to overreact on everything, jeezus balls, it is what it is, its the gophers, were they expecting a rose bowl.

KSTP radio is about as irrelevant as it gets in regards to sports coverage.

The media is negative about Gopher football because Gopher football has been one of the worst programs in America for the last 50 years. Honestly sometimes I am surprised sometimes that the media still cares enough to talk about Gopher football at all.

excuse me?! you are so far off base in this stupid-ass statement it is not even funny. get a freaking clue. head on back over to the rube chat board at kfan. please!

excuse me?! you are so far off base in this stupid-ass statement it is not even funny. get a freaking clue. head on back over to the rube chat board at kfan. please!

Why does the King of Hyperbole complain so much about others using hyperbole?

there's nowhere in between, can radio personalities talk about a team and not cheer or rip them to death. I think it reflects laziness

I'm always impressed with the sports media every time I travel to the Chicago. Sure there are just as many extremists and blowhards but in addition they have lots of objective, in depth coverage. That's what I think is missing for the Gophers in this market.

who's been worse?

Since 1947, according to overall winning %, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Wake Forest, Duke, Vanderbilt, Miss St, Kentucky, Baylor, Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, Washington State among others.

who's been worse?

Minnesotans generally are just negative towards their sports teams. I don't know what it is. I've lived in several different areas around the country, and it's generally much different, even if their team is really bad too.

My dad is always saying "they're gonna lose" or "they'll get their butt's kicked" regardless if it's the Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, or Gophers. When things have gone bad for so long, it's much easier to be negative because then you don't get disappointed.

These media guys know who their customers are, so they will just beat on them when they're already down because that's what many of their customers do as well.

Since 1947, according to overall winning %, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Wake Forest, Duke, Vanderbilt, Miss St, Kentucky, Baylor, Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, Washington State among others.

Not to be pedantic or argumentative, but the poster's condition was "in the past 50 years." By including another 15 years in your comparison, you've picked up some pretty good Gopher years. I'd be interested in the 50-year list, though.

Overall winning percentage is a very narrow way to define success.

Northwestern has at least earned a Big Ten Championship and gone to a Rose Bowl in recent memory.
Illinois has been to a Rose Bowl and a Sugar Bowl in the past 10 seasons.
Wake Forest had an 11-3 record and went to the Orange Bowl in '06.
Miss St has two decades of success in the SEC.
Kansas went 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl in '07.
Kansas St has two decades of 10 and 11 win seasons.
Washington St has been to two Rose Bowls the past 15 seasons.

Despite having historically low winning-percentages, at least the above schools make a legitimate push occasionally. That makes them significantly more 'successful' than Minnesota.

I didn't actually count!

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/ncaa_1a.htm

I went based off this website which started in that year, you can do the number crunching from there for every team if you have that kind of time available.

Not to be pedantic or argumentative, but the poster's condition was "in the past 50 years." By including another 15 years in your comparison, you've picked up some pretty good Gopher years. I'd be interested in the 50-year list, though.

People still listen to the radio?

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "fans" on this website have been doing plenty of ripping the program in the last week. I'm not shocked that the media jackals have decided to do the same.

I heard those guys this morning. They were convinced that Jerry Kill started Nelson because he was "in a panic".

Simply awful.

Top Bottom