KSTP: Ex-Gophers QB Mitch Leidner chats rivalry with Badgers, and much more

I think man won a bowl game that year. Everyone thought Mitch did well enough and he had the fans support.

If he had PJ as a coach and these receivers he’d be playing pro ball.
No to NFL but yes to CFL, Mitch had the heart but just didn't have the talent to stay in the NFL. CFL most definitely.

I have PTSD from watching Mitchell try to throw a forward pass.
Really bad attempt at humor. PTSD is not a funny issue in any way and your statement is an insult to our veterans that truly suffer from PTSD.

It does us no good to rip players or former players. If we are Gopher fans we are family. Mitch Leidner and Adam Weber before him were absolutely ripped and that's just not cool. Instead of bringing up the faults, how about the good things? Tanner Morgan brings some special skills to the QB position, and he has some excellent receivers, but he also has a very good system in which to throw and you can tell he is well coached. I think both Leidner and Weber would have benefited greatly under the present system and been even better players. And I tell you one thing about Leidner - he was a great runner for sure, but he was one of the toughest SOB's I have ever seen out there. He was just a warrior when he played for us.

Statistically Mitch was an “average” college QB with above average heart, with a weak offensive coaching staff and a weak supporting cast. He sacrificed his body for the team many times. I don’t believe in “fluffing” people that compete and work at the highest levels and honesty is always valuable but we don’t need to rehash weaknesses as they’ve been discussed here ad nauseum. One only needs to look at some of the QBs we’ve faced in this season alone to realize Mitch was much, much better than them. Consider Jonny Langan or any of the Northwestern QBs to name a few. Closer to home he wasn’t an emotional quitter like Mankato Jesus. We’re in a better place now talent-wise but I’ll always have respect for Mitch.

Statistically Mitch was an “average” college QB with above average heart, with a weak offensive coaching staff and a weak supporting cast. He sacrificed his body for the team many times. I don’t believe in “fluffing” people that compete and work at the highest levels and honesty is always valuable but we don’t need to rehash weaknesses as they’ve been discussed here ad nauseum. One only needs to look at some of the QBs we’ve faced in this season alone to realize Mitch was much, much better than them. Consider Jonny Langan or any of the Northwestern QBs to name a few. Closer to home he wasn’t an emotional quitter like Mankato Jesus. We’re in a better place now talent-wise but I’ll always have respect for Mitch.

Nicely written.

i for one, couldnt stand mitch as QB. He was terrible and severly hurt the gophers being back there. luckly most of the time he just needed to hand the ball off. HOWEVER, this was not his fault. It was completly unfair for him to be playing QB..He was and is not a QB. Jerry Kill and company were horrible recruiters at the QB position and DL... I wish mitch well ... but am very very glad his QB playing days are done.
As a passer, when Mitch was hot, he was very, very hot (hit 21 of 31 for 258 yards and a TD against Missouri in the Citrus Bowl), but when he was bad he was terrible, as the saying goes. His guts and enthusiasm were undeniable and he ran like a truck without brakes.

That dirty word concussion keeps popping up here and there. Glad Mitch got out somewhat healthy and is hopefully doing well in sales whatever that is.
If he got concussed during his Viking preseason game he should hit the justice jackpot in the ca lawsuit.

Not a fan of Doogie, but good interview for the most part. Trying to drag Mitch into the Kill-Fleck feud wasn’t necessary.
Garbage interview. Doogie talked more than Mitch. There is no worse sports personality in the TC than Doogie. Mitch is great though.

Always felt bad for ML.
The previous regime was so bad at creating easy throws for quarterbacks. Never a ton of opportunity to throw the ball.

I personally think they put QBs in really tough situations.
I wish ML did better in those si
this is pretty spot on

That era of coaches really mishandled the QB position.
Never really got them easy throws.
Never surrounded them with talent.
Never really developed one to be much better late than they were early in their career.

None of that is ML’s fault. He did a pretty good job all things considered. I wish we had better QB play, but I’m thankful for his efforts.

People love to rip on Mitch, but ever REALLY watch Ricky Foggie and Tony Dungy play? Mitch was a better QB than both. And won more games. Reply?

People love to rip on Mitch, but ever REALLY watch Ricky Foggie and Tony Dungy play? Mitch was a better QB than both. And won more games. Reply?
yeah the gophs won 9 games his se season but Doogie treated him like ‘ok, you were crap that year - are you over it?

It always bugged me how people ripped on Mitch when he played. No, he wasn’t a great QB. He had his deficiencies. But was that his fault? No. Was it his fault that he was recruited to play here and was the best option we had at QB? No. Did he play his but off for our team? Yes. He represented the team well and absolutely played his hardest. We can’t expect any more and should give this guy a huge pat on the back.
I was a Mitch apologist for sure.

Passed and ran for only 69 touchdowns. Awful.

Top Bottom