Kozlo: Michigan State football should be realigned to Big Ten West

Does the SEC talk about realigning the East and West? The SEC West is murderer's row compared the SEC East.

Big Ten West is better from top to bottom, Big Ten East is very top heavy. Big Ten West doesn't have the marquee program, maybe Wisconsin, but Wisconsin football isn't on the level of PSU, OSU, or Michigan. I know Wisconsin competes well those schools but historically and on the national scene they haven't accomplished the same.
I mean Michigan last won a national title in 1997
Penn state before that.
College players were born in the 2000s

At what point is Minnesota and Iowa in the 1960s are relevant as 1980s Penn state?

10 more years? 20?

That wasn’t my question

I didn’t say “ how likely is it?” I said what does the rule book say you do if it happens?
Even if it never happens you’d either need to schedule to avoid it or have to have a rule in place on what to do if it happens s

what if it’s 3 8-1 teams none of which played each other?
Got it. Thought maybe you were hinting at it being a reason to not get rid of divisions.

I'm guessing something like record against common opponents, scoring differential, etc.

I mean Michigan last won a national title in 1997
Penn state before that.
College players were born in the 2000s

At what point is Minnesota and Iowa in the 1960s are relevant as 1980s Penn state?

10 more years? 20?
I mean Michigan has more wins than any other college football program and Penn State has the 8th most wins.

Wisconsin football began in 1993 or so.

Got it. Thought maybe you were hinting at it being a reason to not get rid of divisions.

I'm guessing something like record against common opponents, scoring differential, etc.
So we are going to exclude a 9-0 team because they went 9-0 by an average of 10 points while two others averaged 13 and 12?

who is signing up for those rules

I mean Michigan has more wins than any other college football program and Penn State has the 8th most wins.

Wisconsin football began in 1993 or so.
At what point is that not relevant. Minnesota has national titles. Iowa has one.
Minnesota has the same number of national titles as Michigan since 1949

How do you break ties between 3 teams 9-0 in conference play
The proposal is 8 conf games per year, not 9, with 3 locked per year per team, the other five cycling through the remaining 10 teams home/home every 4 years.

There's no way you're ever going to have three teams that are each 8-0 and didn't play each other, in that format.

Go ahead and propose a hypothetical example of it.

You'd have to concoct it such that the three teams (say A,B,C) have exactly the same three other teams (say D,E,F) that they all play every year, which is not going to be the case.

Even if you somehow did it, then there are lots of objective, simple ways to do it like overall record, record against common opponents, etc., to pick the final two for the champ game.

Divisions are inferior.

Last edited:

I've got an idea - on odd years Ohio St plays in the west division, even years in the east division. That way there's better balance of conference winner

So we are going to exclude a 9-0 team because they went 9-0 by an average of 10 points while two others averaged 13 and 12?

who is signing up for those rules
I just threw out common tie breakers. I don’t know. The chances of there being three 9-0 teams is near impossible.

I want to partner the B1G and the MAC to form a 'Premier' league structure. Relegate the bottom 2 schools to the MAC and promote the top 2 MAC schools to the B1G for football only. I think it would make everything way more meaningful. I know - TV contracts, facilities, other associations, etc...but, I can dream.

I want to partner the B1G and the MAC to form a 'Premier' league structure. Relegate the bottom 2 schools to the MAC and promote the top 2 MAC schools to the B1G for football only. I think it would make everything way more meaningful. I know - TV contracts, facilities, other associations, etc...but, I can dream.
Because you think Indiana and northwestern being sent down for Kent state and northern Illinois would benefit the 12 that stayed up?

Top Bottom