Konate Out A Month

golfing18now

Reaction score

Ouch. Perhaps Konate is back by game 1 but all that time lost really is going to hurt. I assume Gaston and even Buggs will be working at center while he is out.

Outside of Mason, probably the person we can least afford to be without. Is playing Murphy at C an option? I prefer that over 35 minutes of Gaston.

Gaston better grow up fast. This team's depth is screwed up bad by transfers sitting out and Jarvis. The future looks bright but this season being competitive seems to be all we can hope for.

Well we have until the 19th until Temple. Missing out on the practice etc. is huge but sounds like he could be back for the start of the season and for sure by our first big game.

Dr.-Who.gif

Love-and-Other-Drugs.gif

This will linger all season, book it. Stress fractures are a terrible injury for bball players, as we all know from the Al Nolen era.

If Reggie Lynch shaves off his fro and changes his name, would anybody even notice? We could just say he was a late walk on addition.

Seriously

Across all sports...there were never the number of injuries that there are today. Today we have better nutrition, better health care, better conditioning but something isn't right.
It's not just the Gophers...all teams have more injuries than there used to be. Did guys just play hurt in the Musselman, Dutcher, Haskins eras? Same for football and MLB.

Konate is a tough guy to lose for practice time and a foot injury for a big guy can be a major problem.

Doggone..

Across all sports...there were never the number of injuries that there are today. Today we have better nutrition, better health care, better conditioning but something isn't right. It's not just the Gophers...all teams have more injuries than there used to be. Did guys just play hurt in the Musselman, Dutcher, Haskins eras? Same for football and MLB. Konate is a tough guy to lose for practice time and a foot injury for a big guy can be a major problem. Doggone..

In basketball I'd argue it's over use, playing too much. With not enough recovery and not enough weight lifting to strengthen surrounding muscles.

I say all that, to disregard it all for the Gophers because our S&C coach Shaun Brown is one of the quoted people in this article about why there are so many more injuries in basketball-

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13217004/the-four-injury-risks-today-young-nba-players-face

Yup. Different types of players. But is this a similar injury as Kevin Durant had last year?

I don't think we know where Bakary's stress fracture has occured. Durant had a "Jones" stress fracture. It occurs farther back in the foot where the circulation is not as good, therefore it's harder for it to heal on it's own without surgery. Hopefully BK can avoid that.

In basketball I'd argue it's over use, playing too much. With not enough recovery and not enough weight lifting to strengthen surrounding muscles.

I say all that, to disregard it all for the Gophers because our S&C coach Shaun Brown is one of the quoted people in this article about why there are so many more injuries in basketball-

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13217004/the-four-injury-risks-today-young-nba-players-face

Great article...I knew I was onto something...lol Thank you for the link!

I think its a combination of specific muscules, joints, and bones taking a beating when guys play the same sport year all year rather than switching sports with the season and in the past more players just playing injured.

Well we have until the 19th until Temple. Missing out on the practice etc. is huge but sounds like he could be back for the start of the season and for sure by our first big game.

Gophers center Bakary Konate, a projected starter this season, is expected to miss a few weeks because of a stress fracture in his foot.

Who knows when he will be back, hope it is closer to 20 days.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus: Gophers looking at Bakary Konate's injury as an opportunity

Pitino said Konate will not play in the team's two exhibition games, but he is hopeful about his center being ready to play in the regular-season opener against UMKC on Nov. 13 at Williams Arena.

The Gophers are using 6-10, 240-pound sophomore Gaston Diedhiou to replace Konate in practice right now. But Pitino also said they could go with a smaller lineup that matches 6-9 senior Joey King and 6-6 freshman Jordan Murphy together inside.

"I think it's a good opportunity for Gaston to kind of step forward, improve and get more opportunity, get more reps in practice," Pitino said. "Another thing we're going to have to look at is playing small in the frontcourt with Joey King and Jordan Murphy, who is a freshman. So it gives those guys opportunities."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_28973868/gophers-looking-at-bakary-konates-injury-an-opportunity

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom