Koi Perich is the man

I heard he is in over his head...and when has hello-world ever been wrong before amirtite? ;)

As for whether he will be Winfield Jr I don't much care. He doesn't really need to be. In some ways he is ahead (he has half the career turnovers AWJr had already) and in some ways he is "behind" (he isnt a ball hawk) but we also don't need to lean on him as much as we leaned on Winfield.

Koi does what the team asks him to do and he does it very well. That is all that matters :)

Koi has been the best true freshman defensive player Ive ever seen on the Gophers.

AWJr is the football player I’ve ever seen for the Gophers. But Koi has been better than Winfield through week 7 of his freshman year.

It’s been awesome to watch. He is a really special football player.

Our school, Pequot Lakes, and Esko have been intense rivals the last few years in FB and BB. The winner usually goes to state in our section. Koi had the upper hand in FB, and we clipped em in hoops. He was our nemesis with plenty of swagger. It’s quite a change to cheer for him now. He’s good and quite a character.
My wife has an incredibly consistent tradition of saying “pee squat” every time we drive though/past Pequot Lakes and we do that twice a week for most the summer.

Sometimes she just mutters it to herself but one way or another, she always says it in some form.

In fairness, she grew up with a family cabin on Leech and the term developed in the back seat of the family car with her sisters. So now it is some sort of unflinching tradition for her.

I am sorry.

Koi has been the best true freshman defensive player Ive ever seen on the Gophers.

AWJr is the football player I’ve ever seen for the Gophers. But Koi has been better than Winfield through week 7 of his freshman year.

It’s been awesome to watch. He is a really special football player.
Tyrone Carter comes to mind, but it was a long time ago..

AWjr seemed to play every position on the field well. Koi needs some sacks to get into AW territory. I see him more as a young Harrison Smith. AWjr is not in the conversation yet.
So he isn't like one All Pro future HoFer But he is like another All Pro future HOfer. Got it. And I agree, he is a a future pro bowl Safety, no doubt.

AWjr seemed to play every position on the field well. Koi needs some sacks to get into AW territory. I see him more as a young Harrison Smith. AWjr is not in the conversation yet.

AWjr only had 1 sack, in his sophomore season, before he had 3 in his final season. Koi will definitely end up with sacks by the time he's done here.

AWjr also only had 2 total interceptions through his first 3 years, then had 7 his SR year. Koi already has 4.

I'd like to see Koi taken off of kickoff and punt returns. Hate to have him seriously injured on a special teams play.
You only get him for a limited time, his return ability is too valuable to not take advantage of it.

He’s pretty much all I could ask for in terms of a home grown Minnesota boy making good on his dreams. If he continues on this path he’ll be a folk hero who will absolutely have an impact on future in-state recruiting.

It’s extremely hard not to cheer for the kid. Earlier this seasons hope felt dashed against the rocks - but I can see some talent developing and some growth even on PJs end that has me thinking maybe we’re gonna be alright in a couple years.

Paul Giel, a Heisman runner-up, was from Winona, I believe. Great baseball player as well as footballer.

Punt returns can make huge field position and momentum shifts. And Koi has a gift. I'd keep him on punt returns. Might take him off KO returns.
agreed the TV said we had the most punt return yards since 1958 or something like that

I agree he is fun to watch! Most exciting Gopher in some time and a true freshman.
But, not sure about the "Ready for the NFL" blurb. He is tiny out there...going great, awesome but lets just enjoy the present for a couple years.
Fans always want to go overboard in situations like this. Agree that the NFL talk is silly right now but he is playing extremely well for a true freshman and the sky is the limit for him as he continues to learn, grow, and develop.

I'd like to see Koi taken off of kickoff and punt returns. Hate to have him seriously injured on a special teams play.
Wouldn't be opposed to someone else handling the kickoff returns but you 100% do not take him off of punt returns because he is a threat to house it. They just have to convince him to fair catch it ia little more when there is no real shot at a return so that he doesn't take a hit like he did against UCLA on one he should have fair caught.

My wife has an incredibly consistent tradition of saying “pee squat” every time we drive though/past Pequot Lakes and we do that twice a week for most the summer.

Sometimes she just mutters it to herself but one way or another, she always says it in some form.

In fairness, she grew up with a family cabin on Leech and the term developed in the back seat of the family car with her sisters. So now it is some sort of unflinching tradition for her.

I am sorry.

This is a good story. I don't think it's a coincidence that Koi is good at football too.

Did Koi get caught peeking on the long TD throw over Robinson?
I don't think so. We brought pressure and they picked it up.

At least from watching the game, unless he completely played the wrong coverage, it looks like we brought pressure and dared Garbers and that WR to make an awesome play. They did.

I don't think so. We brought pressure and they picked it up.

At least from watching the game, unless he completely played the wrong coverage, it looks like we brought pressure and dared Garbers and that WR to make an awesome play. They did.
Play still bugs me because UCLA had an illegal formation on the play.

How long has it been since a freshman from the arrowhead region of Minn started for the U in football? I cant remember.

Top Bottom