KJ Maye

Rosemountian

Reaction score
Shouldn't he be getting 8-12 touches per game? He seems to me to be the one guy with the speed and agility to potentially take any play for a score. He's obviously not a feature back type, but we need to find a way to get our best playmakers the ball.

Anyone else agree on Maye?

Is there a backstory I'm missing like an injury?

Shouldn't he be getting 8-12 touches per game? He seems to me to be the one guy with the speed and agility to potentially take any play for a score. He's obviously not a feature back type, but we need to find a way to get our best playmakers the ball.

Anyone else agree on Maye?

Is there a backstory I'm missing like an injury?

Yes!! He looked great against San Jose State. Don't think he ever touched the ball against Iowa? We needed a big play in that game desperately!

100% agree. Whatever it takes, get him the ball. Jet sweep, jail break screen, a shovel pass off the motion. Whatever it takes.

Marcus, the Gopher beat writer from the Pioneer Press suggested the Gophers use a screen for Maye against Iowa. Iowa instead must have taken his suggestion and absolutely killed us on that screen.

I agree with the OP - it boggles my mind why they don't use Maye more. He and Maxx Williams seem to be our two biggest weapons on offense and they both barely touch the ball.

I also agree with 4thStreet - the third head of this missing players monster is Harbison. Now I realize he had a torn ACL and all, but supposedly he was our best WR last year in camp. And that was before we lost Barker, McDonald, & DCT. I don't think he's caught a pass and I've barely seen him on the field.

Wolitarsky looked good in very limited action Saturday, hopefully we'll see him more too. I know the coaches know a lot more about these players than we do. I also realize Kill runs a tight ship and it seems like he won't put a guy in unless he knows the position 100%. That said, it's agonizing as a fan to catch glimpses of guys who seem like they could help out the team a lot more than they are being allowed to.

I agree with the OP - it boggles my mind why they don't use Maye more. He and Maxx Williams seem to be our two biggest weapons on offense and they both barely touch the ball.

I also agree with 4thStreet - the third head of this missing players monster is Harbison. Now I realize he had a torn ACL and all, but supposedly he was our best WR last year in camp. And that was before we lost Barker, McDonald, & DCT. I don't think he's caught a pass and I've barely seen him on the field.

Wolitarsky looked good in very limited action Saturday, hopefully we'll see him more too. I know the coaches know a lot more about these players than we do. I also realize Kill runs a tight ship and it seems like he won't put a guy in unless he knows the position 100%. That said, it's agonizing as a fan to catch glimpses of guys who seem like they could help out the team a lot more than they are being allowed to.

As critical as I am of this coaching staff I dislike threads like this one. The coaches see all the same stuff that we do and a whole lot more. If guys like Maye, Harbison, and Williams are not being used in the game there is probably a good reason for it. The coaches aren't going to avoid a weapon if they think that player can make a difference. Sure there are times where a guy gets in the dog house but for the most part if a guy can get it done the coaches are going to find a way to use him.

As critical as I am of this coaching staff I dislike threads like this one. The coaches see all the same stuff that we do and a whole lot more. If guys like Maye, Harbison, and Williams are not being used in the game there is probably a good reason for it. The coaches aren't going to avoid a weapon if they think that player can make a difference. Sure there are times where a guy gets in the dog house but for the most part if a guy can get it done the coaches are going to find a way to use him.

All three of those guys do play a good amount. They all have a chance to get the ball in the regular flow of the game but sometimes you have to make a conscious effort to get them the ball. Maye and Williams have already proven they are play makers, and Harbison seems like one.

I don't view Maye as a game-breaker type, but he's ideal for jet sweeps and bubble screens (or any sort of screen), but we don't seem to believe in the screen play (it may be because the few times we've tried to throw it - I think to R. Williams every time - it's been a complete mess).

Max Williams had to fill in at H back a lot because Mike Henry the fullback is injure

I think Williams has ended up playing the H back blocking fullback type position instead of the Y that Goodger has because he simply must be a better blocker than Goodger. Maxx seemed to be limitted in the routes he was involved in a lot on Saturday because he was attempting to be the lead blocker a lot, and Williams was involved a lot in trying to help the offensive line block.
You could tell the Gophers missed Mike Henry's blocking Saturday, not saying it was the sole reason that the running game and offensive line struggled but it did play a role. Could have used Henry's ability to leak out and run a few wheel routes on Satuday, he is a physically strong guy and takes on a lot of linebackers for the Gophers, we definitely missed his play and lead blocking ability against Iowa.

This is one of the depth issues you have when an injury occurs to a primary blocker, and the team has become a little dependent on a certain play style or types of plays that they had executed well. Maxx had to fill in at H block because they needed him there. That is another reason I wasn't so sure about the run right at them game plan and philosophy on Saturday by Limegrover. Iowas was well versed in the read option and we were starting a returning off Injury Nelson at QB, you would have thought they would have worked on some new stuff last week after watching the film they had to know Iowa was really stout up front. Oh well live and learn, got to come up with something against Michigan that allows the team some chance for success on offense. I think Nelson started on saturday because they knew they needed to pass against Iowa and that Nelson gave them the best chance to accomplish that.
Not saying Mitch can't pass he just doesn't have the experience or opportunity's that Nelson has had.

Yes!! He looked great against San Jose State. Don't think he ever touched the ball against Iowa? We needed a big play in that game desperately!

I disagree, Maye doesn't have game breaking or changing type of speed I would agree if we were talking about Marcus Jones, he has the type of explosiveness to execute jail break screens, jet sweeps or reverese flip pitch type plays off moton. Marcus Jones is the missing ingredient on offense to open things up in the running game, he is game changer, something everyone else lacks.

He needs to focus on catching punts and not let the ball ounce in front of him ! He is doing great on kick offs!

I disagree, Maye doesn't have game breaking or changing type of speed I would agree if we were talking about Marcus Jones, he has the type of explosiveness to execute jail break screens, jet sweeps or reverese flip pitch type plays off moton. Marcus Jones is the missing ingredient on offense to open things up in the running game, he is game changer, something everyone else lacks.

I was thinking the exact same thing during the game. Why in the hell did they move him to DB. He is by FAR the fastest kid that is seeing the field. BTW if they NEED to play Edwards and put JONES in the game for gods sake. Why in the hell would you burn his RS for the 4th Q of the 1st game !?!? are they stupid!

I was thinking the exact same thing during the game. Why in the hell did they move him to DB. He is by FAR the fastest kid that is seeing the field. BTW if they NEED to play Edwards and put JONES in the game for gods sake. Why in the hell would you burn his RS for the 4th Q of the 1st game !?!? are they stupid!

Takes more than just speed to be a WR. Marcus is playing DB because he was not a great WR and the coaches feel DB is a better fit for him.

just a personal opinion, but the idea of "asserting our scheme" is kind of a fallacy when your scheme is overly predictable. i know we hate the badgers, but look at how they use a guy like Gordon on jet plays to get him the rock in space. it spreads the field. it makes it so LB's can't sit right up the freaking gut and stuff you over and over and over. i'm not saying we have the speed to get the edge every time, but it at least makes them honor it. we are not better than the teams we will play the rest of the way, so the idea we can just line up and say "here's what we're running, dare you to stop it", falls flat when, indeed, the opposing defense can and will stop it

i'm fine w edwards RS'ing, but agree. jones needs to see snaps. they already burned his RS, use him. I don't care if he's raw. this whole team looks raw. at least he has the speed and athleticism to make a big play. i'd rather go down swinging and giving our best athletes a chance than to run the ball up the middle 2x for 1 yard then throw incomplete on 3rd down just to try stay in the game. let the boys develop

i'm fine w edwards RS'ing, but agree. jones needs to see snaps. they already burned his RS, use him. I don't care if he's raw. this whole team looks raw. at least he has the speed and athleticism to make a big play. i'd rather go down swinging and giving our best athletes a chance than to run the ball up the middle 2x for 1 yard then throw incomplete on 3rd down just to try stay in the game. let the boys develop

Not red-shirting Edwards at this point would be pretty goofy.

He needs to focus on catching punts and not let the ball ounce in front of him ! He is doing great on kick offs!

I've been saying this for 3 weeks. He had the TD return and maybe one other decent one, and a whole bunch of times when he hasn't fielded the ball only to watch it roll 15-30 yards, costing the Gophers major field position. This will hurt even more during the B1G season. I think it's time for someone else myself. He just doesn't look that comfortable or confident back there to me, and the loss of field position is just astounding.

He is lost on the offense. Takes time to learn the WR position. Read coverages etc. look at McDonald freshmen year. He is at least a year away

Top Bottom