Kirk leaving for Penn State in 2020

PoockItInfor6

Reaction score
Looking back now, I feel like this may have been a blessing in disguise as it’s a reminder that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. It feels to me like KC is probably going to want to stay here, with Fleck, for a very long time.

I'm trying to figure travel for the Penn State game coming up and can only assume Kirk had to think long and hard about leaving for Penn State in 2020.

Interesting as I had a total different thought watching the game today. With the caveat that there is so much more season to be played, I wondered "Where would the Gopher program be today if Kirk never left?" It seems likely 2020 wouldn't have been a huge step back and that we win the West in '21 (we should have won it anyway). I imagine Tanner would have looked a lot better and the receivers would have got more balls...so how different would QB and WR recruiting have looked the past year or two or recruiting overall if we didn't have those embarrassing National TV losses in '20 coming off the best season in 40-50 years or whatever?

Would it be fair to say Coyle obviously should have put together a whatever it takes package to keep Kirk after '19? On one hand, he only had that one year of fantastic production as an OC, but on the other that year lead to a top 10 ranking and the only season of note we've had.

A lot of "what if's?" and it's possible by mid October or late November, Kirk doesn't look like a great addition.

Hard to imagine the orignal reason for KC leaving to be closer to family is still not there.

That said, as a FB coach he has to know that he, Rossi, and Coach Fleck really have an opportunity here as FleckBall is jelling to become a recognizable brand.

Glad both he and Coach were smart enough to bring the band back together. Tanner is the No. 1 beneficiary of the re-union.

I look at it as "I now see the proof I need to compare KC 2019, Sanferd '20, '21, KC again 2022 and can make a logical decision based on results how important he is".

Granted, as EG#9 said, it's possible things go south, but I believe it can't ever be as bad as Sanferd made it.

Completely understand leaving for family reasons and definitely no hard feelings for leaving. Just a hell of a lot of gratitude for coming back.

The best coach named Kirk in the BIG.

Will be tough to do, but if they could somehow keep Fleck, Rossi and KC together for about 10 more years, I think we become a year-in, year-out, dominant team.

Will be tough to do, but if they could somehow keep Fleck, Rossi and KC together for about 10 more years, I think we become a year-in, year-out, dominant team.
I almost think that could be possible. Rossi and Kirk look like they could be satisfied as coordinator roles/"assistant head coach" types. I have nothing to base that off, just a feeling. But if the money is right and they make Minnesota into what it looks like it will be, I'd sure be willing to be part of a Disney movie scenario. (Although screw disney and the SEC).

I almost think that could be possible. Rossi and Kirk look like they could be satisfied as coordinator roles/"assistant head coach" types. I have nothing to base that off, just a feeling. But if the money is right and they make Minnesota into what it looks like it will be, I'd sure be willing to be part of a Disney movie scenario. (Although screw disney and the SEC).
I get that vibe from KC, not sure about Rossi though. Obviously I hope they stay a long time, or at least have an apprentice type on staff that can learn from them.

I get that vibe from KC, not sure about Rossi though. Obviously I hope they stay a long time, or at least have an apprentice type on staff that can learn from them.
I understand completely. KC looks satisfied where he is. Rossi is a guy that has "Superstar" written all over him, and I can see him going after that head coach/CEO position. I want them both forever, but either way, I will be forever grateful for what they both have done for the U.

As far as the apprentice type on staff, I'm putting my faith in PJ's vision of the future and knowing he is building one of the best coaching trees in the country. I don't think Rossi would leave with the cupboard bare. Of course the U has to pony up the money to make that happen, but I think Rossi is that type of guy to sacrifice for the better of his players and coaches (to an extent).

As I survey the glorious sunshine from my living room window this morning...

We do have going for us the fact that Minnesota is a great place to live if you can handle the winters...and spring...and fall...and summer.

Apparently living on Lake Minnetonka works great for HCs too...

Looking back now, I feel like this may have been a blessing in disguise as it’s a reminder that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. It feels to me like KC is probably going to want to stay here, with Fleck, for a very long time.
I’m hoping the “grass isn’t greener” scenario applies to Fleck as well. There are so many instances that coaches fail when they move on from a perfectly good situation. Hopefully Fleck is a lifer with Minnesota.
If a young man wants to become a better person and a better football player, under Fleck and company, there is no other place that is any better than Minnesota these days.

I’m hoping the “grass isn’t greener” scenario applies to Fleck as well. There are so many instances that coaches fail when they move on from a perfectly good situation. Hopefully Fleck is a lifer with Minnesota.
If a young man wants to become a better person and a better football player, under Fleck and company, there is no other place that is any better than Minnesota these days.
I have thought from basically day 1 that Fleck is going to be here 20+ years (I mean he technically could coach for 30 years if he wanted! 😂😂)! Our administration will have to keep paying him more and more as we move along, but he’s worth every penny!

I understand completely. KC looks satisfied where he is. Rossi is a guy that has "Superstar" written all over him, and I can see him going after that head coach/CEO position. I want them both forever, but either way, I will be forever grateful for what they both have done for the U.

As far as the apprentice type on staff, I'm putting my faith in PJ's vision of the future and knowing he is building one of the best coaching trees in the country. I don't think Rossi would leave with the cupboard bare. Of course the U has to pony up the money to make that happen, but I think Rossi is that type of guy to sacrifice for the better of his players and coaches (to an extent).
What makes you say that. I've always gotten the mild mannered craftsman sort of vibe from him, where I think he really likes being a coordinator.

If PJ can change his best and figure out why not to hire another Mike Sanford he should be good. We've cycled through DLine and DB coaches throughout his time but that hasn't seen to hurt us.

What makes you say that. I've always gotten the mild mannered craftsman sort of vibe from him, where I think he really likes being a coordinator.

If PJ can change his best and figure out why not to hire another Mike Sanford he should be good. We've cycled through DLine and DB coaches throughout his time but that hasn't seen to hurt us.
How long has Kenni Burns been around? He seems really important with the amount of strong runners we’ve had. Whether it’s him coaching them up or recruiting less heralded guys that get overlooked or selling a vision to future commits. I know very little about position coaches.

How long has Kenni Burns been around? He seems really important with the amount of strong runners we’ve had. Whether it’s him coaching them up or recruiting less heralded guys that get overlooked or selling a vision to future commits. I know very little about position coaches.
Burns joined Fleck in '16

I may have worded that wrong. I had a few beers when I wrote that. I meant it as he has the tools to be highly sought after. I can see him staying if he's satisfied, but if he wants to get that bigger gig, there would be a lot of people happy to have him. Of course not based on anything more than a drunken eye test......

Reading "he is building one of the best coaching trees in the country" gives me chills because I can see it happen. His leadership is unmatched and he has been instrumental in helping me fall in love with football!

I cannot wait for some amazing Gopher football ahead.

Top Bottom