Kirk Ferentz on Brews firing and if MN can be as good as IA and WI

GoldenHerbs

Reaction score
I just ran across this video on youtube from a few days after Brew got canned. They ask him about Brews firing and then if there is any reason that Minnesota cannot become as good as Iowa or Wisconsin. He kinda dodges the last question, I thought he would be like, "I dont see any reason why not". But what do you expect from Squawkeye scum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydp5Yi0gmU8

Wouldn't make anything out of it myself. Awkward questions and moment making comments that might be construed as a statement about the abilities of another coach.

*insert tap dance emoticon*

Iowa and Wisconsin don't have intrinsic advantages over us. It's not as if Wisconsin and Iowa are at any special recruiting advantage. If when Alvarez or Fry was hired, you could have asked the same question about Wisconsin, and people would have considered it just as unlikely. Iowa had a gap of 21 years between Big Ten Titles, from 1960 to 1981. Wisconsin had a larger gap, from 1960 to 1993. What happened? They made the right hires. No reason we can't do that now.

Iowa starting defensive ends are from Minnesota. A strong Minnesota team will make his recruiting that much more difficult.

Boise and Utah are also now the GOLD Standard. I just bought a coke. Coke is now the best soda in the world.

I definetly believe there is no reason we cant be as good as them and much better. I think it will take the right hire and dedication from the University to the football program. Ive heard the Pres and AD talk about how they really want to get the program to the level it should be but talk is cheap, we will have to wait and see.

Iowa starting defensive ends are from Minnesota. A strong Minnesota team will make his recruiting that much more difficult.

The right hire could really lock down the borders, Id love to stop seeing Minnesota kids playing for Iowa and Wisconsin, it literally makes me sick.

i would like for someone to intercept the CDH to ND pipeline, well and the Litchfield to ND pipeline, and the... I could go on and on. and I don't mean North Dakota

There are idiots on here that think its a good thing for Bucky and Iowa to be good. They don't seem to realize that when they are really good they steal our recruits.

This is one of the only good things to come out of the Brew tenure. During his time, he shut out Iowa in MN and greatly reduced WI's ability to recruit MN. Now we just need a guy who can that and be a decent coach.

People are complaining about this? I don't see anything wrong or mildly unpredictable with what Ferentz said. He liked Brewster. Brewster's an adult and knows the risks of the business. He doesn't know about Minnesota's situation. He said we'd get a good coach.

This is one of the only good things to come out of the Brew tenure. During his time, he shut out Iowa in MN and greatly reduced WI's ability to recruit MN. Now we just need a guy who can that and be a decent coach.

TCF has devastated Wisconsin and Iowa's ability to recruit Minnesota as they once did. But they deserve it: they openly used the Metrodome in negative recruiting for decades, and now they just can't make as compelling a case as they could a decade ago. A small-part of their success this year can be attributed to the Minnesota guys they landed while Minnesota was in crisis-mode the last time around. They will get a guy or two on occasion. But it isn't ever going to be the way it used to be.

IMO, the fact that recruiting is becoming increasingly national is a greater threat to Minnesota's ability to recruit in-sate.

TCF has devastated Wisconsin and Iowa's ability to recruit Minnesota as they once did.

TCF has hurt, it has nowhere near devestated. Wisconsin and Iowa are still a lot better Big Ten experiences than TCF. With winning the experience will be better. Most recruits would still be much more impressed with the gameday environment around Camp Randall or Kinnick than they would be with TCF.

TCF definitely helps, but it doesn't "devestate" anybody.

i would like for someone to intercept the CDH to ND pipeline, well and the Litchfield to ND pipeline, and the... I could go on and on. and I don't mean North Dakota

The CDH pipeline doesn't exist in the way that a lot of people in MN think it exists. People use to say that it was Rob Ianello (former ND coach), but it really is more of a product of the nature of the two schools. They are both Catholic private schools and kids from Cretin often look towards other private schools (non division 1 CDH players often end up at St. Thomas and St. Johns rather than UMD and Winona).

I will say this, the situation between CDH and MN has gotten considerably better in the last 5 years.

TCF has devastated Wisconsin and Iowa's ability to recruit Minnesota as they once did. But they deserve it: they openly used the Metrodome in negative recruiting for decades, and now they just can't make as compelling a case as they could a decade ago. A small-part of their success this year can be attributed to the Minnesota guys they landed while Minnesota was in crisis-mode the last time around. They will get a guy or two on occasion. But it isn't ever going to be the way it used to be.

IMO, the fact that recruiting is becoming increasingly national is a greater threat to Minnesota's ability to recruit in-sate.

Very true. Gilreath, Anderson, and Sorenson were all gets against Mason not Brewster. I think in 2008 Wisconsin only got Joe Schafer from CDH and then it took a couple years before they nabbed Beau Allen who is the offspring of two badgers. Iowa has been even less impressive. Klug was on few people's radars and I think Binns is a 2007 guy.

We don't have to hire Urban Meyer to close the borders. We just have to not hire a stiff.

The only advantage Iowa and Wis. have is that they are the only game in their respective towns.

'Splain...

The Wisconsin one is easy...

First, the U of MN is located in the backyards of most of our better recruits (in the Twin Cities). So for a kid to choose to come to MN he also has to choose to not "go away" for school. This is a problem that doesn't exist at Madison. Most of their recruits aren't from the Madison area, so these kids get to "go away" to school and play for the team they grew up rooting for. It was one of the reasons that Beau Allen and Brandon Kelley gave for choosing Madison, they wanted to go away for school.

Second, Wisconsin doesn't have any division 2 football. Division 3 football does not give away scholorships. So they are more attractive to a lot of instate walk ons, because they could go play at Eau Claire for free or they could walk on in Madison for free. At the U, kids have to choose between scholorship offers from St. Cloud, Winona, UMD, etc., over possibly walking on at the U. There is also a closer connection to the IAA schools and MN than there is between those schools and Wisconsin. So WI, is more likely to get a higher percentage of quality walk ons who become a solid part of the program.

I don't think these are excuses for the U, but they are small advantages that Buckyville has over the U.

Very true. Gilreath, Anderson, and Sorenson were all gets against Mason not Brewster. I think in 2008 Wisconsin only got Joe Schafer from CDH and then it took a couple years before they nabbed Beau Allen who is the offspring of two badgers. Iowa has been even less impressive. Klug was on few people's radars and I think Binns is a 2007 guy.

We don't have to hire Urban Meyer to close the borders. We just have to not hire a stiff.

Schafer was an early commit as well, the U never had a chance on him.

There was Casey Dehn, who I believe is also the offspring of Badgers.

It is easier for Iowa State, Iowa, and Wisconsin to recruit the twin cities than it is for Minnesota to recruit Iowa or Wisconsin because so many people who went to those schools or grew up in those state move to the Twin Cities later in life. The opposite of that is not exactly true.

If Wisconsin has such a great advantage over us, why did they go 31 years without a Big Ten title between 1962 and 1993? It has come down much more to hiring.

If Wisconsin has such a great advantage over us, why did they go 31 years without a Big Ten title between 1962 and 1993? It has come down much more to hiring.

Wisconsin didn't have an advantage over the U of M till about 93....when they started winning. Now they definitely have an advantage. A great hire by the U of M can lessen that advantage, and winning could even that advantage.

The Wisconsin one is easy...

First, the U of MN is located in the backyards of most of our better recruits (in the Twin Cities). So for a kid to choose to come to MN he also has to choose to not "go away" for school. This is a problem that doesn't exist at Madison. Most of their recruits aren't from the Madison area, so these kids get to "go away" to school and play for the team they grew up rooting for. It was one of the reasons that Beau Allen and Brandon Kelley gave for choosing Madison, they wanted to go away for school.

Second, Wisconsin doesn't have any division 2 football. Division 3 football does not give away scholorships. So they are more attractive to a lot of instate walk ons, because they could go play at Eau Claire for free or they could walk on in Madison for free. At the U, kids have to choose between scholorship offers from St. Cloud, Winona, UMD, etc., over possibly walking on at the U. There is also a closer connection to the IAA schools and MN than there is between those schools and Wisconsin. So WI, is more likely to get a higher percentage of quality walk ons who become a solid part of the program.

I don't think these are excuses for the U, but they are small advantages that Buckyville has over the U.

Thank you for the response. You made some excellent points...

If you would have put brent enema in the Gopher situation after Mason was fired would he have been successful?

While winning will GREATLY improve the gameday experience, it is simply never going to be a selling point for our program. You guys saw the OSU vs UW game, it was insanity the entire day there. And then the team showed up as big as the fans. I simply cannot envision that type of environment at TCF - maybe I'm all wrong, but I doubt we'll be landing Gameday anytime soon.

I think you are wrong. Give Minnesota a winner and will you be surprised how things will change. Minnesota is very much a bandwagon state!

Top Bottom