Kirk Ferentz commits recruiting violation

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
from The Athletic:

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz and wide receivers coach Jon Budmayr will receive a one-game suspension for committing a recruiting violation when courting quarterback Cade McNamara before the transfer portal opened in 2022, a source briefed on the violation said.

The suspension is related to an NCAA investigation, but it wasn’t immediately clear whether the sanction is being imposed by Iowa or the NCAA.

McNamara played his first three seasons at Michigan from 2020 to 2022, leading the Wolverines to the 2021 Big Ten championship but playing in only three games in 2022 after suffering a season-ending knee injury. He entered the transfer portal on Nov. 28 that year — the day it opened — and by Nov. 29 there was mutual interest between McNamara and the Hawkeyes, a team source told The Athletic. On Dec. 1, McNamara committed to Iowa.

Then, Budmayr was a special assistant to the head coach and as a former Wisconsin assistant previously recruited McNamara. Their past relationship contributed to McNamara joining the program.

Oh no, what will they do without an old man on the sidelines?

The proper punishment should be making Iowa wait an extra week to contact people after the portal opens.

Oh, back when there were still recruiting rules and guidelines. Pre-free-for-all recruiting.

Reminds me of the tiny wrist-slap the Falcons got for clearly tampering with Kirk Cousins this winter. As long as the penalties are insignificant the tampering will continue and escalate.

Hate Iowa, but just dumb. Tampering is everywhere, just like gambling. It is funny how Iowa keeps getting caught and they just build the "Why are we the only ones?" defense.

Hate Iowa, but just dumb. Tampering is everywhere, just like gambling. It is funny how Iowa keeps getting caught and they just build the "Why are we the only ones?" defense.
In theory it would be great if they were able to crack down on tampering and had a real punishment that would keep teams from doing it. But that is a pipe dream in this current landscape.

That said, I am all for Iowa getting busted and looking bad. At a time when there are seemingly no real rules they still found a way to get in trouble :)

In theory it would be great if they were able to crack down on tampering and had a real punishment that would keep teams from doing it. But that is a pipe dream in this current landscape.

That said, I am all for Iowa getting busted and looking bad. At a time when there are seemingly no real rules they still found a way to get in trouble :)
Exactly, I'm sure the Iowa fan forums are currently wild with why is Iowa the only one being targeted/persecuted for this type of thing. The real question they should ask is why is our staff one of the only ones stupid enough to do it in a way where you could get a violation enforced.

Remember when his son criticized Fleck for how he recruits? I think it was criticizing how many offers he makes to recruits or something. Oops.

I remember Brian complaining about other teams and recruiting.

Sometimes people think everyone else is cheating… and that’s their excuse for doing it.

Reminds me of the tiny wrist-slap the Falcons got for clearly tampering with Kirk Cousins this winter. As long as the penalties are insignificant the tampering will continue and escalate.
It's funny you mention Cousins because it was his big mouth that got his team in trouble. In this situation it was McNamara's big mouth on a podcast that got his squad in trouble.

Yep. And the offense scores at least two touchdowns. That's my prediction
Oh no, what will they do without an old man on the sidelines?

The proper punishment should be making Iowa wait an extra week to contact people after the portal opens.
Or a proper punishment should be calling back any touchdown made by a punt return.

The previous violation was a ticky-tack nothing burger. The current one is worse. Talking directly to a transfer in waiting before the portal opens certainly seems designed to gain an advantage.

The NCAA has created this incredible mess. No teeth to these attempts at enforcement. One game suspension. I imagine he can pick the game he chooses. Big deal!

Michigan egregiously violates a rule and cruises through last season unaffected by the ineffective penalties. Their coach gets his championship and waves goodbye to college football. Who has been held accountable? The institution? The violators? No one really.

Wasn’t there an issue with contacting a lineman this past year too? Another 1 game suspension next year for that?

Yep. And the offense scores at least two touchdowns. That's my prediction.
fe207076-18af-4387-8bae-2474aa24abb3_text.gif

Iowa fans were the meanest/ rudest fans i've ever encountered.
The ones that visit here for sure are. Going to Madison is an awful experience though for an opposing fan. Maybe similar at Iowa but I've never been there.

The ones that visit here for sure are. Going to Madison is an awful experience though for an opposing fan. Maybe similar at Iowa but I've never been there.
my first ever in person Gopher game (I'm from CA) was against Iowa at home in 2016. They were straight up A holes, even the women were mean lol.

Top Bottom