Kirk Ciarrocca out at Penn St

He’ll find a job quickly.

People are not as patient at big time programs.

Good luck to Kirk and his family. Being close to home is what brought him to Penn State.

I only would hire family-less coaches. Orphans are ideal. Then it can go Faith, Football. Cut out the family.

Family though ... can be a motivating factor. Everyone wants their family to be safe... be a shame if... well, who really wants to think about a thing like that?

/s

Too bad for Kirk. PJ is loyal to his coaches, so I doubt he terminates Sanford after a year.

Too bad for Kirk. PJ is loyal to his coaches, so I doubt he terminates Sanford after a year.

Assuming Kirk is still making money from Penn St..... have Kirk come back and 'consult'.

He could still spend a lot of time at home with family and etc.

Assuming everyone involved wants to do those things... but there are ways to have him involved in case someone leaves, he can spend more time at home, and etc.

I honestly think he had some bad luck. If he had had a regular off-season to acquaint the players with his offensive style I think Penn State does a lot better and he keeps his job.

I honestly think he had some bad luck. If he had had a regular off-season to acquaint the players with his offensive style I think Penn State does a lot better and he keeps his job.
Agree, it's weird for a school to fire a coach after one year where it basically amounts to a practice season. Must have been something deeper going on there.

Assuming Kirk is still making money from Penn St..... have Kirk come back and 'consult'.

He could still spend a lot of time at home with family and etc.

Assuming everyone involved wants to do those things... but there are ways to have him involved in case someone leaves, he can spend more time at home, and etc.

His kids are in college on the east coast along with his family. I could see him wanting to stay in the area.

This story made me feel sad. Kirk wanted to go back to his Pennsylvania roots, so that hasn't changed. Making a living has been slightly altered. He will not get the money that he was offered by Fleck and received from Franklin. The salad days have passed for him.

For the life of me, I could never figure out how PSU was going to be elevated by the hiring of KC. He always just seemed above average without a lot of creativity to me. I was not upset when he left, however the circumstances for him to have been let go during this Covid season are peculiar. I do wish him all the best though, apparently he just didn't throw to the tight ends at PSU like they were used to being featured.

Agree, it's weird for a school to fire a coach after one year where it basically amounts to a practice season. Must have been something deeper going on there.
Tell that to the folks calling for Sanford’s head!!

If Sanford is offered a head coaching job elsewhere and takes it, will PJ Fleck hire him back? Will KC want to come back to MN?

I think it came down to a candidate with strong Pennsylvania ties and a strong resume became available, so they spent the money to get him. If the new guy PSU hired doesn't get fired at Texas and remains employed in Austin, then KC is likely still at PSU.

They should've beaten IU in the first week. Freak circumstance. That would get them to a winning record, at least. They weren't going to beat Ohio St and Iowa.

Maryland they caught at the worst possible time: they figured out they could score a bunch of points, because they just played our defense. And the hangover carried over to the game in Lincoln.

If they find a way to beat Maryland and Nebraska, and don't flub the IU game at the start ... 7-2 looks a hell of a lot different than 4-5.

All the same, Franklin evaluated what he saw out of the offense. He had the opportunity to hire Yurcich, who is from Ohio, played college QB at a DII school in Pennsylvania, and has coached QB's and been OC at some high level programs for a while, thought that he would be a better fit for PSU, and pulled the trigger.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

If Sanford is offered a head coaching job elsewhere and takes it, will PJ Fleck hire him back? Will KC want to come back to MN?
I would like to see Fleck get it right and promote Simon, in that case.

I suppose another possibility is that he could just hire a QB coach, and take over playcalling himself? For all we know, Fleck might have had some kind of role in playcalling at some point last year?

Top Bottom