King-Sized Bits: The basketbrawl that changed the country (1972 Gophers-Buckeyes brawl)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Steve King:

A lot of things changed for a lot of people – the whole country, in fact, especially for those in sports – 49 years ago on Monday.

It was Jan. 25, 1972 that the infamous “Melee in Minnesota” occurred involving – and actually centering on – former Marlington High School and Ohio State basketball star Luke Witte.

With the Buckeyes leading host Minnesota 50-44 with 36 seconds left in a key Big Ten matchup at Williams Arena, the Golden Gophers’ Clyde Turner was ejected for committing a flagrant foul on Witte. While sitting on the floor, Witte grabbed the hand of Minnesota’s Corky Taylor, who appeared to be offering to help him to his feet. But it was a ruse – a trick – as Taylor instead kneed the 7-foot- center in the groin, at which time Ron Behagen and Dave Winfield, the Baseball Hall of Famer who played on the Cleveland Indians’ 1995 World Series team, came off the Gophers bench and started pounding Witte senseless.

A brawl involved – still the worst such event of its kind in college basketball history – with both benches emptying and fans storming the floor to also take some shots at Witte.

The game was called at that point, but the damage was done.

The Buckeyes, as late, great Columbus sportscaster Jimmy Crum, who had the TV call of the game, told me in an interview 20 years ago, had to exit the locker room to their bus through an air duct to avoid the rioters as police and security continued to lose total control of the situation.

Years and years later, Witte got together with those Minnesota players for the first time to talk about the incident and try to mend fences. According to the men, it worked – to a degree, at least – but can you ever patch up a wound like that?

Go Gophers!!

per Steve King:

A lot of things changed for a lot of people – the whole country, in fact, especially for those in sports – 49 years ago on Monday.

It was Jan. 25, 1972 that the infamous “Melee in Minnesota” occurred involving – and actually centering on – former Marlington High School and Ohio State basketball star Luke Witte.

With the Buckeyes leading host Minnesota 50-44 with 36 seconds left in a key Big Ten matchup at Williams Arena, the Golden Gophers’ Clyde Turner was ejected for committing a flagrant foul on Witte. While sitting on the floor, Witte grabbed the hand of Minnesota’s Corky Taylor, who appeared to be offering to help him to his feet. But it was a ruse – a trick – as Taylor instead kneed the 7-foot- center in the groin, at which time Ron Behagen and Dave Winfield, the Baseball Hall of Famer who played on the Cleveland Indians’ 1995 World Series team, came off the Gophers bench and started pounding Witte senseless.

A brawl involved – still the worst such event of its kind in college basketball history – with both benches emptying and fans storming the floor to also take some shots at Witte.

The game was called at that point, but the damage was done.

The Buckeyes, as late, great Columbus sportscaster Jimmy Crum, who had the TV call of the game, told me in an interview 20 years ago, had to exit the locker room to their bus through an air duct to avoid the rioters as police and security continued to lose total control of the situation.

Years and years later, Witte got together with those Minnesota players for the first time to talk about the incident and try to mend fences. According to the men, it worked – to a degree, at least – but can you ever patch up a wound like that?

Go Gophers!!

Does this need to be brought up every year? Everyone knows the story.

At least get your facts right. I was seated 50 feet from Witte when it happened. Winfield was not on the floor at that time, and entered the floor at the opposite end and engaged in a fight with someone far from the main brawl a bit later. He was not a focus of the investigation and was not suspended, in fact he moved into the starting lineup the next game. The fight was so intense on the other end that they really never noticed Winfield. He never touched Witte.

Although it doesn’t justify what happened, don’t forget that Witte played a role in provoking the incident when he threw an elbow at Gopher players as the two teams crossed paths when leaving the floor at the end of the first half.

At least get your facts right. I was seated 50 feet from Witte when it happened. Winfield was not on the floor at that time, and entered the floor at the opposite end and engaged in a fight with someone far from the main brawl a bit later. He was not a focus of the investigation and was not suspended, in fact he moved into the starting lineup the next game. The fight was so intense on the other end that they really never noticed Winfield. He never touched Witte.
I was listening to the game on the radio. I hear it was very physical game the whole way but I have never talked to someone with in 50 feet. No one could have expected what happened but can you tell me how much led up to it? Video does not show the emotion. SI was very hard on the Gophers after that.

As I recall, the Gophers had to do some fancy fast-talking to keep Winfield from being suspended, because he clearly left the bench and was involved in the mayhem on the floor. but somehow, they were able to convince the powers-that-be that Winfield was somehow not involved. There might have been something about this in Sid's book.

And a thought - can you imagine the reaction if this would have happened in the ESPN and internet era? ESPN would have been playing highlights of the brawl on a tape-loop 24/7.

Even back then, the national coverage painted the event as the evil, bad-character Gophers attacking the saintly Luke Witte. (witte, as I recall, was active in FCA). Gophs and Musselman were public enemy #1 for the rest of the season.

The National Media by and large ignored the racial aspcts/overtones. Not excusing the Gophers, but OSU was not lily-white. I beleive Witte has talked about that, a little bit......

Here is what I remember. Winfield survived because his scuffle was one on one at the opposite end of the court and he did not join in the overall brawl. I have lots of other memories. It all started with Musselman's pregame show which other teams hated. He truly got the Barn rocking, and it carried over to the game. Fans were rabid, unlike anything that had happened at the barn in the recent past. It was a big game, and was played roughly throughout. Inside play in that era was far less physical than it is today, but Behagen especially foreshadowed today's inside game. Taylor was only slightly less physical inside. I was row seven behind the basket where the crucial foul happened. It was not the first hard foul that night. Witte was dishing it out as well. Witte was quite simply knocked to the floor by Taylor. It likely was a flagrant under today's rules. Taylor and Behagen were suspended not just for brawling, but for conduct during the brawl that was over the top. Winfield's part was standard brawling.

As I recall, the Gophers had to do some fancy fast-talking to keep Winfield from being suspended, because he clearly left the bench and was involved in the mayhem on the floor. but somehow, they were able to convince the powers-that-be that Winfield was somehow not involved. There might have been something about this in Sid's book.

And a thought - can you imagine the reaction if this would have happened in the ESPN and internet era? ESPN would have been playing highlights of the brawl on a tape-loop 24/7.

Even back then, the national coverage painted the event as the evil, bad-character Gophers attacking the saintly Luke Witte. (witte, as I recall, was active in FCA). Gophs and Musselman were public enemy #1 for the rest of the season.

I'm not entirely familiar with every player involved in this, as it happened before I was born by a long ways. However...Winfield, Turner, Behagan and Taylor all seem to have something in common that may have made the national media vilify them beyond the on court incident........

You have to remember this was 1972 and you can't ignore the black/white aspect of this incident. A lot of the coverage of this was tinged in racism. Not helped by the commentary of local, national media, OSU coaching staff and even the Ohio governor. If memory serves there was 1 black starter on that OSU team and maybe 1 or 2 on the bench.
It was a different time. In 1972, I was a sophomore in a City of Minneapolis high school that had one black student and he was the son of the school superintendent.
My brother was in the student section at this game and according to him the claims of a riot are untrue.
For the first time I did not look forward to receiving the next weeks Sports Illustrated.

Wow... this is like Festivus - a yearly airing of the grievances.

I can understand once every 5 years or so, but GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Here is what I remember. Winfield survived because his scuffle was one on one at the opposite end of the court and he did not join in the overall brawl. I have lots of other memories. It all started with Musselman's pregame show which other teams hated. He truly got the Barn rocking, and it carried over to the game. Fans were rabid, unlike anything that had happened at the barn in the recent past. It was a big game, and was played roughly throughout. Inside play in that era was far less physical than it is today, but Behagen especially foreshadowed today's inside game. Taylor was only slightly less physical inside. I was row seven behind the basket where the crucial foul happened. It was not the first hard foul that night. Witte was dishing it out as well. Witte was quite simply knocked to the floor by Taylor. It likely was a flagrant under today's rules. Taylor and Behagen were suspended not just for brawling, but for conduct during the brawl that was over the top. Winfield's part was standard brawling.
I realize that this is off topic about the thread’s subject but this has to be called out. What the hell does “reaction score” on Gopherhole mean? Reaction score, whatever the hell defines it, is a totally worthless metric. It is especially worthless here in this case. A responder to this thread spells out their thoughts at length with a lot of passion (at least to them) their thoughts on this thread’s subject and the entry generates a score of 2? Seriously? Does this motivate a potential responder in a thread to contribute in the future? Reaction score is totally useless. Yes, another gopherhole member may respond that you shouldn’t look at reaction score relative to what a different blogger writes, but curiosity draws me to this. By the way I liked Alaska’s entry if for no more reason but for his passionate response. Thank you Alaska. Alaska, you may need to find a different blog to be heard.

I never understood why the pregame show was so hated. Just a cool warmup act. Back then it was top 20 not top 25 and it was fun to see Gophers crawl into it. RIP Bill.

I never understood why the pregame show was so hated. Just a cool warmup act. Back then it was top 20 not top 25 and it was fun to see Gophers crawl into it. RIP Bill.
Same reason people don’t like PJ fleck running 30 to 30 at the quarter break.

Everyone needs something to complain about even if the something doesn’t matter at all

Well, if you were going to the games you absolutely loved it. I think opposing teams and fans hated it because it jacked up the atmosphere in the Barn to not being able to hear the person next to you and to swear the building was shaking before big games especially. Quite sure many fans around the conference viewed Minnesota as an outlaw program and coming out to do a Globetrotter routine with "Sweet Georgia Brown" blaring didn't do anything to dissuade them. We very well might have been "outlaw" since Musselman left town, I think, next year with about 130 infractions against the Gophers. And, sorry, but back then the fact that we had so many black players definitely played into it.

I was row seven behind the basket where the crucial foul happened. It was not the first hard foul that night. Witte was dishing it out as well. Witte was quite simply knocked to the floor by Taylor. It likely was a flagrant under today's rules. Taylor and Behagen were suspended not just for brawling, but for conduct during the brawl that was over the top. Winfield's part was standard brawling.
Oh, come on. I must have been sitting very close to you. He wasn't "simply knocked to the floor." He was kneed in the crotch as he was being helped in and then was literally stomped on. My memory of Winfield was him chasing an Ohio State player who was running away from him in fear and thinking, "God, I hope he doesn't catch him."

I meant he was knocked to the floor by the original foul. The additional stuff is well documented and was the reason for the suspensions against those two.

Top Bottom