Kill's statement

wetgopherhole

Reaction score
I am so excited to have the opportunity to be the head coach at the University of Minnesota. It is a tremendous opportunity and -- I think -- great timing. I can promise all the people at the University of Minnesota and throughout the entire state that I am going to give them every single ounce that I can give them. I have done that on every job that I have taken. I was raised the old-school way by my father and mother to do my job to the very best of my ability. You go full speed at it and you don’t let anyone out-work you. I have lived by that motto my entire life and that is what I intend to do at the University of Minnesota."

--sorry if already posted--but I like his comments (better than saying tremendous every fifth word)

I like that statement too! The NIU AD was interviewed and he spoke very highly of Kill and his coaches. He said that they have a system that they recruit to which means they share a vision of the identity they create and maintain. Another program that does that is Iowa's. Kill is not fancy. He sounds like a coach who can coach the talent he gets.I really like this hire.

I really hope this guy does well here. He seems like a really good guy.

I like his comments but I am guessing the Iron Range part of Maturi sold him on Kill when in reality this program needs a proven winner who can also sell this program and Jerry Kill is not exactly that instantly marketable coach.

Well, if he can bring in a decent amount of Minnesota recruits who contribute to the program and attract other players who can buy in to making this a stellar program, then good on him.

Two words of warning in emulating Iowa's recruiting process: Rick Stanzi.

What I like most about his comments is he didn't mention Rose Bowl, Big Ten Championship and how he is going to take Gopher nation to the promise land. What I would like to see him talk about in his press conference are words like being competitive, beating are rivals, winning trophy games and doing these things on a consistent basis.

Two words of warning in emulating Iowa's recruiting process: Rick Stanzi.

Yeah, god forbid we ever get a quarterback who throws for 25 TDs and 4 INTs in a season. That would sure suck.

What I like most about his comments is he didn't mention Rose Bowl, Big Ten Championship and how he is going to take Gopher nation to the promise land. What I would like to see him talk about in his press conference are words like being competitive, beating are rivals, winning trophy games and doing these things on a consistent basis.

It's ridiculous to not talk about BT championships and Rose Bowls. I want to hear that he wants to take the Gophers to more than just mediocre, but to being champions.

Yeah, at least he knows his place. :rolleyes:

It's ridiculous to not talk about BT championships and Rose Bowls. I want to hear that he wants to take the Gophers to more than just mediocre, but to being champions.

You have got to start with the things were not doing now that will get us to the next level. We heard all that hype from Wacker and Brew right off the bat and I am getting tired of all the hype with no action.

At least he has work ethic. Mason never had that.

But seriously, could we get him to shave/wear a toupee?

I like his comments but I am guessing the Iron Range part of Maturi sold him on Kill when in reality this program needs a proven winner who can also sell this program and Jerry Kill is not exactly that instantly marketable coach.

Thanks to Maturi we were unable to get a "Tubby Smith type". Does that surprise you? Not me.

Somebody needs to put a gag order on the guy and introduce him to a bit of reality. Tubby Smith wanted to get out of the spotlight and hide and along came Maturi. Minnesota is not the dream job of 99% of the topline names.

In the meantime, I had Coach Kill as my #1 after all the bigs nixed us. He is a proven winner.

Thanks to Maturi we were unable to get a "Tubby Smith type". Does that surprise you? Not me.

Somebody needs to put a gag order on the guy and introduce him to a bit of reality. Tubby Smith wanted to get out of the spotlight and hide and along came Maturi. Minnesota is not the dream job of 99% of the topline names.

In the meantime, I had Coach Kill as my #1 after all the bigs nixed us. He is a proven winner.

I'm not going to lay our 40-year record of mediocrity at Maturi's doorstep. That's what prevented a "Tubby Smith" hire more than anything else. We're viewed as a college football wasteland from the outside. Maturi should have been more circumspect, but that's about the only thing I'll blame him for in this search. He clearly put in the time and the miles.

It's tough to het a big time name when your boosters publicly sabotage your coaching search and the archives of all of the fan websites are filled with a bunch of whining, unsuportive babys. That being said, when I read about coach Kill being in the mix a week or so ago I started hoping the gophs would move this way. In my opinion he is better than the summlin hoke crowd because his record leaves no doubt that he knows how to win.

Anyone know when the presser is going to be?

Somebody should e-mail Coach Kill and tell him not to use the word tremendous again.

Honestly, if we are going to hold Kill to Brewster's standards (on the field and off), Kill will end up looking really good.

Except, of course, his ability to convince local rap talent to write songs about the football team. Not sure if Kill can match that.

Let's not forget the guys that hired Mason, Wacker, Guti, Salem etc. Kill has the best record and resume other than Holtz in the last 30+ years.

Top Bottom