Kill's main worry re current talent level...

Reaction score
per his press conference and style of O/D platooning/packaging (apparently somewhat Tubby-style in using personnel to keep players fresh and at high speed), he said that based on a quick look at returning talent he is concerned about lack of depth.

Interesting that this was one of TB's main concerns as well throughout his tenure here.

Do our our GH recruiting/talent gurus see this as really limiting success/wins in his first year?

per his press conference and style of O/D platooning/packaging (apparently somewhat Tubby-style in using personnel to keep players fresh and at high speed), he said that based on a quick look at returning talent he is concerned about lack of depth.

Wait...so this was a Tubby Smith-like hire?

I don't think Kill will be able to have success with a Platoon style system in the BigTen, not when the top teams leave their top players on the field for the majority of the game. This isn't the MAC, it is hard to get an entire roster of players good enough to play down for down with OSU, Nebraska, MI (usually). That is why you see teams like WI IA ebb and flow based on when they have a senior dominated teams.

We will have some depth issues at a few spots.

WR and DB are both very thin. He don't have a lot of experienced depth at OL.

I don't think Kill will be able to have success with a Platoon style system in the BigTen, not when the top teams leave their top players on the field for the majority of the game. This isn't the MAC, it is hard to get an entire roster of players good enough to play down for down with OSU, Nebraska, MI (usually). That is why you see teams like WI IA ebb and flow based on when they have a senior dominated teams.

Having seen NIU live a couple times I would say Kill uses a "packaging" system rather than a "platooning" system in order to put different players in the right situations to succeed and to give opposing teams multiple looks to concern themselves with.

49 Freshman/RS Freshman

64 Bak, Caleb DL 6-3 262 Fr. Columbia Heights, Minn. (Concordia Academy)
47 Bisch, Alex TE 6-6 235 Fr. Northfield, Minn. (Northfield HS)
46 Botticelli, Cameron DL 6-5 256 Fr. Milwaukee, Wis. (Marquette University HS)
7 Bouie, Tyrone DB 6-0 180 Fr. Sanford, Fla. (Seminole HS)
17 Cesario, C.J. WR 5-10 193 Fr. Arlington Heights, Ill. (St. Victor HS)
32 Edwards, Lamonte RB 6-2 215 Fr. Woodbury, Minn. (Woodbury HS)
77 Eggen, Matt OL 6-5 290 Fr. LaCrosse, Wis. (Logan HS)
52 Epping, Zac OL 6-2 281 Fr. Kenosha, Wis. (Tremper HS)
98 Ferguson, Sean DL 6-6 303 Fr. Philadelphia, Penn. (The Hun School)
48 Filkins, Jake LS 6-2 197 Fr. Prescott, Wis. (Prescott HS)
66 Gjere, Jimmy OL 6-7 300 Fr. New Brighton, Minn. (Irondale HS)
55 Henry, Mike LB 6-1 240 Fr. Mahtomedi, Minn. (Mahtomedi)
89 Hutton, Logan WR 6-1 170 Fr. La Marque, Texas (La Marque HS)
20 Kirkwood, Donnell RB 5-10 200 Fr. Delray Beach, Fla. (Atlantic HS)
94 Legania, Harold DL 6-4 303 Fr. New Orleans, La. (Edna Karr HS)
74 Lenkiewicz, Marek OL 6-5 260 Fr. Tinley Park, Ill. (Victor J. Andrew HS)
24 Manuel, James DB 6-2 210 Fr. Indianapolis, Ind. (Warren Central HS)
39 Mezzenga, Gabe LB 6-4 230 Fr. Shoreview, Minn. (Totino-Grace HS)
17 Mitchell, Dwayne LB 6-2 224 Fr. New Orleans, La. (Edna Karr HS)
48 Paffrath, Judd LB 6-2 244 Fr. Alexandria, Minn. (Alexandria)
16 Parish, Tom QB 6-3 200 Fr. Hartland, Wis. (Arrowhead HS)
93 Perry, Ben DE 6-5 252 Fr. Southlake, Texas (Carroll HS)
13 Pride, J.D. QB 6-1 190 Fr. Brooklyn Park, Minn. (Totino-Grace HS)
79 Ragoo, Johnathan OL 6-7 325 Fr. Opa Locka, Fla. (Monsignor Pace HS)
61 Ramlet, Dave LS 6-2 230 Fr. Appleton, Wis. (Xavier HS)
42 Tatum, Willie LB 6-2 200 Fr. Pickerington, Ohio
56 Tauaefa, Josh DL 6-2 281 Fr. Corinth, Texas (Lake Dallas HS)
21 Vereen, Brock DB 6-0 180 Fr. Valencia, Calif. (Valencia HS)
15 Wilson, Cameron WR 6-3 200 Fr. Rockwall, Texas (Rockwall Heath HS)
25 Wright, Devon RB 6-0 190 Fr. Coral Springs, Fla. (Taravella HS)
12 Alipate, Moses QB 6-5 235 RFr. Bloomington, Minn. (Bloomington Jefferson HS)
59 Balthazor, Joey LB 6-3 221 RFr. Hartland, Wis. (Arrowhead HS)
82 Barker, A.J. WR 6-1 188 RFr. St. Paul, Minn. (De La Salle HS)
14 Cosgrove, Connor WR 6-0 175 RFr. Fitchburg, Wis. (St. Cloud State)
49 Garin, Matt DE 6-4 245 RFr. Apple Valley, Minn. (Eastview HS)
91 Gregory-McGhee, Kendall DE 6-5 275 RFr. Aurora, Colo. (Cherokee Trail HS)
99 Hageman, Ra'Shede DE 6-6 294 RFr. Minneapolis, Minn. (Washburn HS)
70 Haney, Brandon OL 6-4 300 RFr. DeForest, Wis. (St. Cloud State)
36 Haviland, Chase DB 5-9 177 RFr. Thief River Falls, Minn. (Lincoln HS)
57 Hill, Aaron LB 6-2 220 RFr. St. Charles, Mo. (Lutheran HS)
65 Jacques, Eric DL 6-2 287 RFr. Pompano Beach, Fla. (Ely HS)
84 Keise, Victor WR 6-1 180 RFr. Coral Springs, Fla. (North Broward Prep HS)
75 Michel, Brooks OL 6-7 311 RFr. Carmel, Ind. (Carmel HS)
62 Mottla, Zach OL 6-2 294 RFr. Edina, Minn. (Cretin-Derham Hall HS)
87 Ngekia, Sahr TE 6-4 229 RFr. Richfield, Minn. (Academy of Holy Angels)
58 Olson, Ed OL 6-7 305 RFr. Mahtomedi, Minn. (Mahtomedi HS)
41 Orseske, Dan P 6-3 200 RFr. Chicago, Ill. (Brother Rice HS)
44 Singleton, Brent LB 6-1 227 RFr. Plantation, Fla. (American Heritage HS)
28 Watkins, Kenny DB 6-0 205 RFr. Detroit, Mich. (Brother Rice HS)

Let's see how it plays out.

I think we will have a lot of issues with depth. We may have numbers, according to the previous post, but I can't believe that many of them are ready for the Big 10. My biggest concerns after this year is both lines and the d-backs. Linemen need time to develop, except for the truly special ones and d-backs who contribute early are hard to find. I hope next year we have 22 starters who are ready to play. Developing depth will take a couple of years.

I cringed when I saw true frosh playing in our DB this Fall. No way can we compete in the BT with that scenerio.

Take a closer look and see what could have been if players had stuck with the program, been healthy a took care of academics: Kim Royston, Curtis Thomas, Shane Potter, Tim Dandridge, Jimmy Thompson, Kerry Lewis and Michael Carter. Plus Mason didn't recruit one DB in his 2006 class that stuck it out.

I hope Coach Kill can create an environment where kids will stick it out, work hard, and wait their turn to contribute. Mason failed to keep close to 50% of his last 3 or 4 year recruits and some promising talent left when Brewster came in and during his tenure. The lack of players left from the 2006 class really hurt more than people may realize.

Interesting that this was one of TB's main concerns as well throughout his tenure here.

Do our our GH recruiting/talent gurus see this as really limiting success/wins in his first year?

How could depth be an issue next season??

Next fall, that great recruiting class of 2008, ranked in the Top 20 in America at the time, will have its seniors and 4th year juniors ready to lead the Gopher squad to its best bowl game in decades.

The loaded recruiting class of 2009 will have a ton of junior and 3rd year sophomores ready to go.

The 49 current true freshmen and redshirt freshmen will provide enormous amounts of depth...not to mention a starter or two on both sides of the ball.

The vast majority of verbal commitments for the recruiting class of 2011 look like they will stay put.

Why would there be a depth issue next year? It looks like Brew left the cupboard rather full.

Depth will be a concern at certain areas.

-Defensive Line should have absolutely no concerns regarding depth
-Linebackers shouldn't have a concern
-The RB position is deep
-QB position is supposedly deep

The areas of concern are WR (especially with injury question marks on Green and Allen), DB (tons of ? marks. Carter? Vareen/Manuel improve? Stoudermire stays?), and some questions on the OLine.

With the OLine we are returning some guys with a lot of experience though (Bunders, Orton, Wynn) and some guys with some experience last season (Olson, Michel). The depth beyond those 5 is a little bit of a question mark but unlike the DB and WR position we have some supposedly good prospects who should be able to step up (Gjere, Haney, Lenciawicz(spelling?), Epping).

With that many young players, Kill may want to groom his depth to match situational needs that occur during the game. As these younger players get more experience, they can expand the number of situations in which they can effectively perform.

I think our lack of depth was aggrivated this year by the poor coaching.

I think Kill will get more done with close to the same talent level.

Who knows, maybe Kill will get some unexpected recruits in hear in a short amount of time but I think he's going to have to make do with the current roster.

hard worker lunch pail blue collar

Yes. I guess. I'm just saying that Brewster was such a terrible coach that when any coach worth anything gets in hear things wll probably be better.

I think he'll get more done than Brew because he is a better coach. It has nothing to do with his farming background or being blue collar or whatever other stupid figure of speech. More than anything, I think Kill will get more out of the talent he has because he has experience, a system/identity, and therefore the kids will know what he is looking for on a consistant basis.

teams will be tougher. hard nosed.

Top Bottom