Kill on Fleck: Coach has done a good job. There’s no doubt about that. MN has won. My personal feelings—one way or another—coach has done a good job.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shama:

Kill looks back at his program and knows it would have been helpful to have the state-of-art football facilities that are now part of the Athletes Village, a project he pushed for. He thinks the Gopher job is a good one and doesn’t buy into the long-held argument it’s difficult to win at Minnesota because the state high schools don’t produce a lot of Division I recruits.

“To be honest with you, I think that’s an excuse,” Kill said.

Making recruiting easier in-state, per Kill, is that the Gophers are the only Division I program and also have first class facilities. NIL is another positive and the Gophers’ success in that area is growing.

“You just gotta find a way to get it done,” Kill said about Gopher recruiting. “People will come to Minnesota. I mean, shoot, we got kids from the south that came to Minnesota, and they were all starters for us. They played well, and I think P.J. (Fleck) has done some of the same thing. And kids want to get away from home anyway. …It’s hard to keep kids in your own state for anybody.”

Kill has been critical about Fleck in the past, bothered by Fleck comments that to him didn’t validate the culture already in place at Minnesota and questioning the young coach’s relationship with players. But Kill calls that “water underneath the bridge now.”

”I’ve always cheered for the Gophers and always will,” Kill said. “Coach has done a good job. There’s no doubt about that. Minnesota has won. My personal feelings—one way or another—coach has done a good job.”

With the college football playoff field expanding to 12 teams, Kill believes the Gophers might be a contender in future years. “Do I think they could? Yeah, I do. But it comes down to recruiting and hitting that (transfer) portal right.”

Go Gophers!!

I think we're past due for a reminder from the gopherhole poster to let us know how Jerry turns boys into men...............

Per Shama:

Kill looks back at his program and knows it would have been helpful to have the state-of-art football facilities that are now part of the Athletes Village, a project he pushed for. He thinks the Gopher job is a good one and doesn’t buy into the long-held argument it’s difficult to win at Minnesota because the state high schools don’t produce a lot of Division I recruits.

“To be honest with you, I think that’s an excuse,” Kill said.

Making recruiting easier in-state, per Kill, is that the Gophers are the only Division I program and also have first class facilities. NIL is another positive and the Gophers’ success in that area is growing.

“You just gotta find a way to get it done,” Kill said about Gopher recruiting. “People will come to Minnesota. I mean, shoot, we got kids from the south that came to Minnesota, and they were all starters for us. They played well, and I think P.J. (Fleck) has done some of the same thing. And kids want to get away from home anyway. …It’s hard to keep kids in your own state for anybody.”

Kill has been critical about Fleck in the past, bothered by Fleck comments that to him didn’t validate the culture already in place at Minnesota and questioning the young coach’s relationship with players. But Kill calls that “water underneath the bridge now.”

”I’ve always cheered for the Gophers and always will,” Kill said. “Coach has done a good job. There’s no doubt about that. Minnesota has won. My personal feelings—one way or another—coach has done a good job.”

With the college football playoff field expanding to 12 teams, Kill believes the Gophers might be a contender in future years. “Do I think they could? Yeah, I do. But it comes down to recruiting and hitting that (transfer) portal right.”

Go Gophers!!

While I'm not surprised by MN sportswriters continuing to go back to this well, why is anyone still asking Kill about his opinion of the Gophers?

I think that ship has sailed, docked, sailed on again. Docked, sailed on again.....
And holy crap, here it comes again!

What I think Shama missed here is that Jerry turns boys into men. He takes em and coaches em up. Brick by brick. You gotta build those boys and by golly make em men. You take a boy and in a few years you make em into a man. Now, jerry wasnt the first choice and for these boys he's gonna make into men, they might not be his first choice but thats something jerry knows and uses when eh turns them into men.

Even in this interview, he's got to take a subtle jab at Fleck. When will the man get over it???

To be fair, Shama is still beating the dead horse by interviewing Kill. Kill might want the subject laid to rest for all we know.
If he wanted to lay things to rest he could show some actual remorse for the comments he made about PJ, especially those hinting at things with his first wife.

If he wanted to lay things to rest he could show some actual remorse for the comments he made about PJ, especially those hinting at things with his first wife.
I revisited the original Kill interview and he did mention he met Fleck's first wife. Honestly, I'm not sure what he is hinting at with his first wife. Elaborate please?

Even in this interview, he's got to take a subtle jab at Fleck. When will the man get over it???
As others mentioned the bigger issue is that we have members of our local "media" that keep going back to Kill because apparently they can't come up with anything better to write about.

Kill will never be over it. But if the local people would stop interviewing him we would never hear about it.

I revisited the original Kill interview and he did mention he met Fleck's first wife. Honestly, I'm not sure what he is hinting at with his first wife. Elaborate please?
He purposely left it vague so people could speculate without saying that Jerry directly said what happened. Kind of a "I know something but I'm not going to say it" thing where you're better off just saying nothing. Because that's the type of stuff Jerry Kill does, and that's why despite being a very accomplished football coach, the guy is miserable and seems to burn bridges everywhere he goes.

To be fair, Shama is still beating the dead horse by interviewing Kill. Kill might want the subject laid to rest for all we know.
if he did then you say i have no comment or you don't just insert a random jab at PJ which adds absolutely nothing to the story

I'm not sure Jerry even knew... it may have been as simple as "old man shits on someone else who got divorced / moved on with his life" without knowing jack shit.

Jerry rambles on at times. I don't think his words are always precise.

He purposely left it vague so people could speculate without saying that Jerry directly said what happened. Kind of a "I know something but I'm not going to say it" thing where you're better off just saying nothing. Because that's the type of stuff Jerry Kill does, and that's why despite being a very accomplished football coach, the guy is miserable and seems to burn bridges everywhere he goes.
I always assumed it was just another way to throw a jab at Fleck by saying she was a nice person and insinuating that he is a bad guy because he divorced a nice person.

Tough for sports writers when their plate is empty, the pressure to just write something sucks. I’m sure he’d be thrilled to write about something else with more value than opinion of somebody that garners little interest from Gopher fans

Northwestern winning last year shut the door on what would have been an amazing NW football hire. JK to NW.

Tragic. Just tragic.

Tough for sports writers when their plate is empty, the pressure to just write something sucks. I’m sure he’d be thrilled to write about something else with more value than opinion of somebody that garners little interest from Gopher fans
I’m not so sure with Shama.

Kill can not hold a candle to PJ on or off the field.
Kill was a better fit in MN, as a person. He is a down to earth, aw shucks kind of guy that you can have a beer with. I have met them both. While Jerry is very easy going, P.J. is very guarded. His high energy and hus positivity are very infectious. But, let's not forget who recruited a lot of those guys from that best team since 1967, the 2019 top 10 team. While P.J. may be able to get us further than Jerry did, those Bowling Green, Illinois and Purdue losses are head scratches over the last 3 years. Nobody's more of a Gopher fan and a P.J. supporter than I am. And I have the "Ultimate Fan" jersey and video to prove it. I think it is time for P. J. to prove he is the coach that can get us back to 1967 or better yet 1960!

I’m sure he’d be thrilled to write about something else with more value...
I dunno, maaaaybe something about our new transfers from the SEC? That might be more useful. Outside of the people on this message board, how many people in the Twin Cities are aware of those transfers?

Keep in mind, Kill knows PJ 100X better than we ever will...he knows stuff, he worked with him.

Top Bottom