Kill: No Starters Locked in Now; says he needs 3 recruiting classes to turn around

No. "We will need" would be future tense. Try again.

Might I suggest:

$T2eC16hHJIkE9qU3l4DUBQh6Hz7hEw~~60_35.JPG

Might I suggest:

$T2eC16hHJIkE9qU3l4DUBQh6Hz7hEw~~60_35.JPG

Nice advertisement.

I misread nothing. Ol' Jer either needs to learn English, as do his proteges; or, his audience needs to read Jer's intent as something else than what he states. You don't have a right to question what I believe about Jer at any time. And, it is impossible for you to take away, no matter how often you try or what propaganda you create to satisfy your bloated ego, my opinion. Keep trying.

And, by the way, I do support Coach Kill. I merely stated my opinion that my faith in the coach diminished as his claim is for 3 more years. If he meant one, so be it. It wouldn't change my opinion of him. It would degrade it more since he obviously is still burdened with the typical American confusion over tenses, which plagues "English" majors.

I need 3 more drinks. Simple present tense. The wait staff should go straight to the bartender and bring the drinks right away.
I shall need 3 more drinks. Simple future tense of an indeterminate period when it will occur. The wait staff should bring the drinks in less than 5 minutes.
I will need 3 more drinks. Simple future tense with a sense of immediate need, but not necessarily in the near future. Should the wait staff bring the drinks right away, you betcha. Because the fool ordering it doesn't know what they really want or when they want it.

I need 3 more drinks. Simple present tense. The wait staff should go straight to the bartender and bring the drinks right away.
I shall need 3 more drinks. Simple future tense of an indeterminate period when it will occur. The wait staff should bring the drinks in less than 5 minutes.
I will need 3 more drinks. Simple future tense with a sense of immediate need, but not necessarily in the near future. Should the wait staff bring the drinks right away, you betcha. Because the fool ordering it doesn't know what they really want or when they want it.

Interesting that you didn't include the ACTUAL phrase that you have been debating.

"I need 3 drinks to get drunk." - If I say that and I am 2 drinks in, will the wait staff bring me 3 additional drinks? If so, I hope they are ready for me to be passed out on their counter, as I will have had 5 drinks total, which does not match the meaning of the statement I made.

...his audience needs to read Jer's intent as something else than what he states.

You are the lone voice in the (thus far 3,222) views of this post to put forth the notion that Kill's intent is anything other than what he stated. Your singular argument is based on
No. "We will need" would be future tense. Try again.
The phrase "We will need" does not appear anywhere in the original post by Bleed, nor does it appear anywhere in the link Bleed provided.

Here is the direct quote from the link:
For Kill and his assistants this will be the third spring practice but the coach’s perspective on the program is shaped by recruiting classes. Kill wasn't hired until December of 2010 so his impact on the 2011 recruiting class was minimal.

“We need about three recruiting classes to get this thing turned around,” he said. “I think we’re moving in the right direction.”

I don't understand how, but you may have interpreted that statement as 3 more classes, but as I stated, you are a singular voice in this effort. And to assume that you (again, alone) are the the one to construe that he is somehow misleading the reader reeks of arrogance on your part.

You don't have a right to question what I believe about Jer at any time. And, it is impossible for you to take away, no matter how often you try or what propaganda you create to satisfy your bloated ego, my opinion. Keep trying.

Yes, I do have a right to question your belief in anything. Whether I'm right or wrong makes no difference; I sincerely have a right to question your belief. But beyond that, please just re-read that quote. I'll wait..........done? Good. The hubris expressed that you are so incredibly insulted that by placing a picture to illustrate just how butt-hurt you are by virtue of misinterpreting a quote is somehow gratifying to my "bloated ego" is beyond the pale. Pot, meet kettle.

Nice advertisement.

I misread nothing. Ol' Jer either needs to learn English, as do his proteges; or, his audience needs to read Jer's intent as something else than what he states. You don't have a right to question what I believe about Jer at any time. And, it is impossible for you to take away, no matter how often you try or what propaganda you create to satisfy your bloated ego, my opinion. Keep trying.

And, by the way, I do support Coach Kill. I merely stated my opinion that my faith in the coach diminished as his claim is for 3 more years. If he meant one, so be it. It wouldn't change my opinion of him. It would degrade it more since he obviously is still burdened with the typical American confusion over tenses, which plagues "English" majors.

Will you need Tucks before or after the three drinks?

Unregistered, do you want to be remembered as the guy who brought civility to the discussion or is your intent just to be negative about this. "I need" is a present tense phrase. Spin, spin, spin.

How come people are having a hard time figuring out Dean is just trying to piss people off? He knows what Kill meant and in his attempt to further his argument he has even altered the quote to make it fit by adding the word more. Kill would be an absolute fool to claim he needs 5 classes to get this thing going in the right direction. Dean knows this but he likes pissing people off so he keeps pretending he has some grasp on the English language that the rest of us are somehow lacking and then probably sits back and laughs while others try to prove him wrong.

False premise. Mike Leach is great at coaching guys up, but he'll never be able to take 330 lb. linemen, a running QB with no arm, and 6'5", 230 lb. possession receivers and run his offense. When it's said that someone is "great at coaching guys up" it's understood that the missing phrase is "...at their system". Everyone has a system, it's just a matter of how rigid or flexible the system is. Some systems are more flexible than others, but that doesn't necessarily make them better. It just means that they potentially have a greater margin for error.

The important thing is that coaches need to recognize how flexible their system is. If they have the more flexible system, they can jump at a great and interested recruit who isn't a perfect fit and make some tweeks, but on some of the more rigid ones, coaches can't really do that.

How come people are having a hard time figuring out Dean is just trying to piss people off? He knows what Kill meant and in his attempt to further his argument he has even altered the quote to make it fit by adding the word more. Kill would be an absolute fool to claim he needs 5 classes to get this thing going in the right direction. Dean knows this but he likes pissing people off so he keeps pretending he has some grasp on the English language that the rest of us are somehow lacking and then probably sits back and laughs while others try to prove him wrong.

This. Thanks MNVCGUY for explaining this so well.

I haven't posted in quite some time but generally enjoy dropping in every few days to read the ongoing banter. But this thread left me scratching my old head. Not sure what's up with Dean. He clearly should have determined his arguments were a lost cause back on page one. Instead he's like a scrambling Fran Tarkenton, 40-yards behind the line of scrimmage (time to chuck this one out of bounds Dean). Anyway, Coach Kill has always said it would take time to turn the program around. And three classes (full recruiting years from the time of his hire) is consistent with everything he's said. Nothing new here.

On a related note and specific to the team all Gopher fans dislike (i.e., Wisconsin) 2013 is likely a year to soon. But the smart money is planning a 2014 road trip to Wisconsin to watch the Gophers reclaim the Ax.

Its all about keeping players in the system and playing a bunch of 4th and 5th year guys...we won't compete with our Fr and So against Wiscy's Jrs and Srs...but I think we can compete with our 4th and 5th year guys against Wiscy's 3rd and 4th year guys. We need to be able to redshirt as many players as possible in year one.

+1

IMO, Coach Kill needs at least 5 classes to be in a possible position to be competitive with the big boys. I think he convinced Mr. Kaler of the same with his 7 year contract.

IMO, Coach Kill needs at least 5 classes to be in a possible position to be competitive with the big boys. I think he convinced Mr. Kaler of the same with his 7 year contract.

If the results don't follow he won't get the full 7 years....Maybe Kaler gave him the 7 year deal to lock him in at a low end salary, this administration doesn't seem overly concerned about paying buyouts. I don't care what the buyout is, job security and college athletics don't mesh well these days. If the administration hits a point here in the next few years where they don't feel Kill is going to get it done to the level they expect they will send him packing no matter how many years he has left on his contract.

Year 5 or maybe even year 6 should tell the story with Coach Kill's tenure. Either extend him or make a change.

My point is that there is lot of work to be done to raise the level of Gophers play to compete with the top teams.

Year 5 or maybe even year 6 should tell the story with Coach Kill's tenure. Either extend him or make a change.

My point is that there is lot of work to be done to raise the level of Gophers play to compete with the top teams.

Totally agree on a lot of work needing to be done but solid results (not championships) will need to be there by year 4. If we are still struggling to win more than a game or two in conference after 2014 there won't be a 2015 for Kill at the U of M. As long as he is at least flirting with .500 in the conference and his recruits are looking competitive in conference games then he should be safe to continue building. But I can't imagine NT and EK are going to be content with 2-6 Big Ten seasons for long. The bar he has to reach is not all that high but there is a bar.

Top Bottom