Kill looking at Student atmosphere-Marcus Fuller Blog

no one will go to this, or at least it wont be sustainable if students can't drink. Good effort but probably wont work

The facepaint McNamara fun kept getting smaller and smaller (does it even still exist?) and it DID serve beer and wine. So, now they are moving a block down without booze? The definition of insanity pops into my mind but that involves doing the SAME THING and expecting different results. This is doing something worse, and expecting different results.
Are they really closing the pregame at McNamara? Because if they are, then this is dumb. Creating a new tailgate spot without booze while keeping pregame booze sales elsewhere is one thing. Eliminating the pregame booze entirely is asking for failure.

Are they really closing the pregame at McNamara? Because if they are, then this is dumb. Creating a new tailgate spot without booze while keeping pregame booze sales elsewhere is one thing. Eliminating the pregame booze entirely is asking for failure.

Nothing is going to change except that Oak Street will be closed off for non-alcohol related activities. People will still be able to drink beer and wine in McNamara, BW3, the tailgate lots, and the bars in Stadium Village. The U and the City of Minneapolis will NEVER allow people to randomly walk around Oak Street and outside the Gopher's Stadium with a beer in their hand. And they clearly should not do that. Get over it.

I just talked with McNamara staff member and she said there is still booze sales pregame inside the building (along with food) and usually outside under a tent next to the building. The McNamara Alumni Center is a privately owned and can operate outside of the U's restrictions, within in a certain area around the building.

Nothing is going to change except that Oak Street will be closed off for non-alcohol related activities. People will still be able to drink beer and wine in McNamara, BW3, the tailgate lots, and the bars in Stadium Village. The U and the City of Minneapolis will NEVER allow people to randomly walk around outside the Gophers Stadium with a beer in their hand. And they clearly should not do that. Get over it.

According to who? They can't make an exception to the rules for 7 days a year where drinking alcohol, playing games, and milling about is clearly a big tradition? Here's the problem: gameday atmosphere around the stadium is not that great. A lot has to do with no winning, but the U certainly isn't helping matters. They're nothing or doing the wrong things instead of just plain nothing at all (or better yet, the RIGHT things) to get students, recent grads, and general attending crowd excited to be there during the games.

I don't see how it's ok to have booze in a public space like the MN state fair (a very family-friendly environment) or in front of the Dome at Vikings games but not at TCF on college football Saturdays. Hell, the U doesn't even have to be the ones liable. Sell rights to vendors like Sally's or bars that aren't near campus to come in to the street and sell beer and their top food choices. Set up a DH with big speakers playing music (or get a band to come for the biggest game of the year - they have bands come play free at Coffman all the time). Have a couple cops police the area in a relaxed way and let people have a good time. Do the same at the mall but allow people to bring a cooler. Cop checks you at a couple entrance points and checks ID and gives a wristband. Anyone without a wristband drinking is kicked out. Come on.

Nothing is going to change except that Oak Street will be closed off for non-alcohol related activities. People will still be able to drink beer and wine in McNamara, BW3, the tailgate lots, and the bars in Stadium Village. The U and the City of Minneapolis will NEVER allow people to randomly walk around outside the Gophers Stadium with a beer in their hand. And they clearly should not do that. Get over it.

Then the city needs to get bent.
Anyone for Dinkytown declaring independence from Minneapolis? Maybe goldy can ride his cart when the Minneapolis troops(aka hippies riding bikes, vegan pigeon warriors, and hipster coffeeshop berserkers) come, light one of the banks' video screens if they come from the washington bridge, both if they come down 15th from Como.
We can set up an ambush of bacon wrapped jalepeno poppers, and beer, after a few volleys they'd convert or perish!

Seriously though this blows, has blown, and will continue to blow until something gets changed, the U can help the process, they simply must be refusing to do so.

Nothing is going to change except that Oak Street will be closed off for non-alcohol related activities. People will still be able to drink beer and wine in McNamara, BW3, the tailgate lots, and the bars in Stadium Village. The U and the City of Minneapolis will NEVER allow people to randomly walk around Oak Street and outside the Gopher's Stadium with a beer in their hand. And they clearly should not do that. Get over it.

Jeebus G4B...who pissed in your coffee today? I have nothing to get over. Maybe you missed the post where I noted that no booze on Oak is not a surprise to me and b/c of that I'm not upset? I was simply trying to say that if Schnauzer was right that it would be a bad move. As it turns out, he was not. Thus, nothing to critique. Sheesh.

I'm sorry but isn't the plaza in front of the Metrodome also a normally operated city street - Chicago Ave? I'm dead positive that during Vikings pregames they manage to have tons of things going on - games, portable bars, food stands, it's like a mini county fair but all Vikings themed. Loud music playing, people walking around drinking beers, not to mention if you walk up from the big tailgate lot between 3rd and 4th St you can just walk in with a beer. I have seen it happen.

Tell me why a closed down street directly in front of TCF Bank Stadium should be ANY different???

I think the plaza is exempted under the same ordinance. It's that Vikings and Twins, folks, the have more pull than our own U. How many U games has our Glorious Mayor attended? Every time he shows up at a Twins or Vikings game, there's a City-wide celebration...;)

Before we get too worked up over the Alcohol thing again, how many other Universities sell beer or sponsored tailgate functions? I've been to away games and the parties have all been by private parties/bars. I don't think the U is doing any different than most other Universities.

This year, Johnsonville Sausage and the UW Athletic Department started an open tailgate function on the grounds outside Camp Randall serving food, beer, soda, kids games, etc. I haven't been to it yet, since we have our own tailgate, but it is University sponsored.

Link: http://www.uwbadgers.com/genrel/090611aaa.html

Interesting topic. I don't know the layout of the area in which all of you are talking about, but am surprised there isn't a good sized tailgate area already. Someone in an earlier post mentioned the Vanderbilt tailgate. Vandy is right in the heart of the Metro Nashville area. Tailgating there is fun. People DO walk around with beer. It isn't a frat party by any means. Just a bunch of people enjoying their time before the game and it is a family atmosphere. I can't see why the U couldn't do this as well.

Tailgating is such a big part of college and pro football. I do hope you all get to enjoy this too. The Titan tailgate is on a massive scale and if you ever get a chance to visit for a game I highly recommend you experience it.

Jeebus G4B...who pissed in your coffee today? I have nothing to get over. Maybe you missed the post where I noted that no booze on Oak is not a surprise to me and b/c of that I'm not upset? I was simply trying to say that if Schnauzer was right that it would be a bad move. As it turns out, he was not. Thus, nothing to critique. Sheesh.

Sorry, my mistake. My comment was directed to others. You are one of the voices of reason on the Football Board.

I was blown away too! Just awesome. Park your car in a ramp and roll your stuff to a sidewalk, quad, or other greenspace. I'd certainly consider switching to this style of tailgate if I got to party every week on Northrup Mall.

Heck, the U could make more money through something like this. Set up a section where the U provides the food, beer, tents, chairs, etc and does all the setup and teardown for you. Charge for the space (that's the profit) and for the food/labor (that covers costs). Some people would likely take them up on it. Vanderbilt actually does something just like this (it's where I got the idea).

Kind of like when you go to a pool in Vegas and rent a cabana. I love that idea. Rent-a-tailgate!!!! Email Maturi and Kill! This is also perfect for us out of town fans who want to fly in, catch the light rail, get the full game experience, and fly out. All you need is a wallet for a great gameday experience and the U would make some money.

Sorry, my mistake. My comment was directed to others. You are one of the voices of reason on the Football Board.
Thanks. I've done it too. Sorry I got all salty in my response as well. :)

Kind of like when you go to a pool in Vegas and rent a cabana. I love that idea. Rent-a-tailgate!!!! Email Maturi and Kill! This is also perfect for us out of town fans who want to fly in, catch the light rail, get the full game experience, and fly out. All you need is a wallet for a great gameday experience and the U would make some money.

Planning to. :) I've had ideas like this for a while but seeing the USC tailgates really focused my attention on just how easily something like this could catch on and just how awesome it could be. GREAT point with the light rail. I didn't even think how in 3 seasons that a rent a tailgate would be the perfect solution for fans who want to tailgate but hate traffic, love the LRT, etc.

Just thought of something. It appears the U technically cannot allow drinking of alcohol in the tailgate lots, but they do but just dont celebrate it. Maybe they have to say its not allowed to a local newspaper that is going to report it, but once you get there they will turn their heads and ignore it. Time will tell. I am gonna try to bring booze in there and walk around with a beer. What is the worst that can happen. "Sorry officer, I thought i heard you could drink here"

I am gonna try to bring booze in there and walk around with a beer. What is the worst that can happen. "Sorry officer, I thought i heard you could drink here"
A couple hundred $ ticket is probably the real worst case, but I'll be with you in spirit DL! ;o)

It appears the U technically cannot allow drinking of alcohol in the tailgate lots, but they do but just dont celebrate it.

What gave you that idea? This is from the U's own web site with the tailgating rules (emphasis mine):

The following items and activities are allowed in lots:
  • Gas grills with a maximum propane cylinder size of 20 pounds
  • Consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons of legal drinking age, and in compliance with all applicable state laws, city ordinances and University policies
  • Portable outdoor furniture
  • Tents and awnings that do not block adjacent parking spaces, impede drive aisles or require the use of stakes
  • Portable generators

Am I missing something?

What gave you that idea? This is from the U's own web site with the tailgating rules (emphasis mine):

• Consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons of legal drinking age, and in compliance with all applicable state laws, city ordinances and University policies
  • Tents and awnings that do not block adjacent parking spaces, impede drive aisles or require the use of stakes
  • Portable generators

Am I missing something?

Technically, the Minneapolis city ordinance has not been changed yet. According to the City of Minneapolis yet, the only areas in the city where public drinking is allowed are the parking lots around the metrodome. The U's lots have not been approved, but the U basically told the city to piss off..

So they are saying you can drink in the tailgating lots as long as you follow the city's rules and the city's rules say you can't drink in the tailgating lots? Gotta love government.

@GophersNow: Was told Kill will go around to dorms and frat houses Friday to encourage students to attend the NMSU game.

@GophersNow: Was told Kill will go around to dorms and frat houses Friday to encourage students to attend the NMSU game.

Back in the day when I was in school if the head football coach showed up to my house and said "Hey why don't you guys come out to the game Saturday? I could really use your butts in the stands to make it a great day. I got some big ideas, but I am gonna need your help to make them happen." I would be there in an instant.

Just another reason why I am loving Jerry Kill

So they are saying you can drink in the tailgating lots as long as you follow the city's rules and the city's rules say you can't drink in the tailgating lots? Gotta love government.

is all of this stupid liquor regulation on the books in so much of minnesota really that surprising? i mean, we have lame ass, bought-and-paid-for-by-lobbyists politicians at the state level and governors who have refused for nearly 80 years to just do away with a stupid ass no sunday off-sale liquor/beer sales law. even though 80% of minnesotans want to be able to purchase off-sale liquor/beer on sundays. and 80% of minnesotans would also like to be able to purchase full strength beer as well as liquor from their grocery and convenience stores as well, like a majority of the rest of the country can.

nope the d-bag, mafia-like, monopolists at the minnesota licensed beverage association, the minnesota municipal beverage association and the minnesota liquor wholesalers association, along with monopolistic private bars and privately owned liquor stores, keep paying off state politicians and fighting against the wishes of the majority of minnesotans. all with the help of their dozens and dozens of paid lobbyists. they think allowing sunday off-sale liquor/beer sales is a "gateway" to them losing their very unfair liquor sale and distribution monopoly. they would rather keep forcing minnesotans to over-pay and have to go out of their way to purchase alcohol instead of being able to just buy it at a lower price at your grocery or convenience store like folks can in so many other states.

imo, we can "thank" the puritan and prudish lutherans who ran this state in the early 20th century for all of these stupidly restrictive and silly "blue laws" around the state when it comes to liquor.

• Portable generators

Am I missing something?

No, they are NOT actually saying that you can. They say "follow the ordinances". I love it! It's perfect!

• Portable generators

Am I missing something?

If the police who patrol the lots don't care about the city ordinance, why should anyone else?

The U should just sell me a plot of land and I will make a parking lot and let things slide that they cannot. Problem solved

The U should just sell me a plot of land and I will make a parking lot and let things slide that they cannot. Problem solved

I will invest with you. We'll put up walls around it and we'll have stripper polls and kegs! Very family unfriendly parking!

Post #1,000 :clap:

Quote Originally Posted by GoAUpher View Post:
I was blown away too! Just awesome. Park your car in a ramp and roll your stuff to a sidewalk, quad, or other greenspace. I'd certainly consider switching to this style of tailgate if I got to party every week on Northrup Mall.

Heck, the U could make more money through something like this. Set up a section where the U provides the food, beer, tents, chairs, etc and does all the setup and teardown for you. Charge for the space (that's the profit) and for the food/labor (that covers costs). Some people would likely take them up on it. Vanderbilt actually does something just like this (it's where I got the idea).[end original quote] Kind of like when you go to a pool in Vegas and rent a cabana. I love that idea. Rent-a-tailgate!!!! Email Maturi and Kill! This is also perfect for us out of town fans who want to fly in, catch the light rail, get the full game experience, and fly out. All you need is a wallet for a great gameday experience and the U would make some money.

I think GoAUpher may be on to something. Each school needs to adapt tailgating to what makes their campus unique. For the U, it is the light rail and abundance of hotels/things to do in the Metro area. This type of tailgating would let those who want to stay at Mall of America (gag) or elsewhere enjoy an extended stay, but still tailgate at the game. Light rail makes it really sweet.

FYI - Our extended group is renting a party/RV to tailgate for the Minnesota-Wisconsin game. We bring booze/food, they provide cooking equipment, large screen HD television, TOILET, and dishes. If it works for us, we may do it every year (estimate is about $30/person, assuming we get 40. The max is 50.) Personally, I'd pay $10 just to avoid the porta-potty.

Top Bottom