Kill looking at Student atmosphere-Marcus Fuller Blog

Those of you that went to the USC game last week now have a great idea of what tailgating could be. I was amazed that it didn't even need to involve a car or parking lot. If there was a plot of land at USC, someone was sitting on it with a cooler and a chair. It was THE place to be on a Saturday morning. I had images of the Mall area packed with 10x10 gopher tents and just a huge party atmosphere or the middle of Super Block getting something together for the students followed by a student victory march to the stadium. Or once the train gets finished having people just take the train with their roller cooler and folding chair and come onto campus to have a good time.
I am very excited to see what Coach Kill can do and how hard he fights to get the atmosphere jumping on campus. It is easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission sometimes.

Funny I was thinking something similiar as I walked from Heritage Hall to the Coliseum.

This year, Johnsonville Sausage and the UW Athletic Department started an open tailgate function on the grounds outside Camp Randall serving food, beer, soda, kids games, etc. I haven't been to it yet, since we have our own tailgate, but it is University sponsored.

Link: http://www.uwbadgers.com/genrel/090611aaa.html

We have Spam, so there!-lol Yeah Camp Randall has some neat things. I like how the "bars" etc have rooftop parties. Well they did in the late 90'/ early 2000's. Haven't been back for a while, so maybe the seen has changed.

Pretty sad that, on the eve of just our third home opener in our new stadium, the athletic department is saying we have a lot of tickets to sell.

I'm embarrassed to even ask this question, but where exactly does the victory walk start and end? I have yet to go to one, and I want to catch one.

I'm embarrassed to even ask this question, but where exactly does the victory walk start and end? I have yet to go to one, and I want to catch one.

Start: By Mariucci
End: the West side of the Stadium (Veterans memorial wall area)

Before we get too worked up over the Alcohol thing again, how many other Universities sell beer or sponsored tailgate functions? I've been to away games and the parties have all been by private parties/bars. I don't think the U is doing any different than most other Universities.
This probably doesn't come at a suprise but the "Badger Bash" at Union South (a different university-sponsored event than the new one TAW was describing) has been serving beer at Union South before Badger Games for years and years. Basically a big university tailgate with an appearance by the band. It's not super popular but is a fun tradition that is more family oriented. Students don't usually attend, so I can't imagine that a similar event at Minnesota without any beer would be heavily by students either.

The student unions at Wisconsin are also the only student unions in the country to sell beer to students and the public. Loved that when I was in school.

Good luck Saturday!

Start: By Mariucci
End: the West side of the Stadium (Veterans memorial wall area)

Ummm...unless they changed this since last year, no. It has started by the MacNamara Alumni Center and ended byt the veterans wall.

This probably doesn't come at a suprise but the "Badger Bash" at Union South (a different university-sponsored event than the new one TAW was describing) has been serving beer at Union South before Badger Games for years and years. Basically a big university tailgate with an appearance by the band. It's not super popular but is a fun tradition that is more family oriented. Students don't usually attend, so I can't imagine that a similar event at Minnesota without any beer would be heavily by students either.

The student unions at Wisconsin are also the only student unions in the country to sell beer to students and the public. Loved that when I was in school.

Good luck Saturday!

The U should do something like this and it should be more family focus, but allow alcohol. Remember the most undergrads are under 21, so it is tough to get them to come to an event.

Switching gears, it seems like (based on Twitter) the Kill walk-around-campus has been having some success today. And he plans on visiting frats/sororities/houses tonight (as has been previously stated here).

My one thing, and not defending Brewster or bringing up comparisons, but many people are saying on Twitter and this board how they love that Kill is doing it and that no other coach would/did. Didn't Brewster do something VERY similar to this with the frats and Dinkytown area to first get some momentum going?

Why can't the U set up temporary beer gardens on gameday and sell the rights to local bars that want to run them? It happens in just about every county in MN and WI during Oktoberfest and that seems to work out fine...why can't it happen on 7 game days per year on campus?

Portable fences, tents and kegs...plus maybe a burger or a brat...is it really this complicated?

Why can't the U set up temporary beer gardens on gameday and sell the rights to local bars that want to run them? It happens in just about every county in MN and WI during Oktoberfest and that seems to work out fine...why can't it happen on 7 game days per year on campus?

Portable fences, tents and kegs...plus maybe a burger or a brat...is it really this complicated?

I posed this question earlier. No liability to the U (they're not the ones selling it), can definitely be seen/used as a family friendly environment if done correctly (have games and fun stuff for the kids and food/beer for the adults), and is easy to police. Wristbands for 21+, black Xs on the back of the hands for those not. ID at the entrance with the portable gate. An entire street block plus some area on the sidewalk in front of Mariucci would be big enough and the U charging a nominal rent to the vendors would cover their set-up costs.

You could do it anywhere - the Mall, the Knoll, McNamara grassy area, etc etc...

STrib: Party's started -- now Gophers just need some more party-goers

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/129499663.html

Go Gophers!!

"There's no place for them to really tailgate. So we're saying, the students are important," Kill said. "That's why we all get paychecks -- the students. We always complain about the students, but none of us would have a job if it wasn't for the students. So I think we ought to take care of them."

This guy could run me down in his car and I'd apologize for breaking his headlight.

Ummm...unless they changed this since last year, no. It has started by the MacNamara Alumni Center and ended byt the veterans wall.

YES, it did change last year. You are describing the victory walk from 2009.

Switching gears, it seems like (based on Twitter) the Kill walk-around-campus has been having some success today. And he plans on visiting frats/sororities/houses tonight (as has been previously stated here).

My one thing, and not defending Brewster or bringing up comparisons, but many people are saying on Twitter and this board how they love that Kill is doing it and that no other coach would/did. Didn't Brewster do something VERY similar to this with the frats and Dinkytown area to first get some momentum going?

Kill can coach and keep a staff together. That is the only/major difference.

*sigh* I'm sorry to see the University, City of Minneapolis and the State of MN continue to treat alcohol like nuclear weapons. It's beer we're talking about here, not weapons grade plutonium. What do these powers that be think will actually happen if beer is served? Someone might get drunk and fall down in the grass? Stop demonizing alcohol and focus on punishing those that get out of line.

YES, it did change last year. You are describing the victory walk from 2009.

Thank you, I guess I must not have done the victory walk last year. Come to think of it, I know it was 2009 because I remember seeing Decker on crutches. Sorry.

I know he did it when he first came to MN but I'm not sure if he was still doing it when the stadium opened (though i thought he was).

*sigh* I'm sorry to see the University, City of Minneapolis and the State of MN continue to treat alcohol like nuclear weapons. It's beer we're talking about here, not weapons grade plutonium. What do these powers that be think will actually happen if beer is served? Someone might get drunk and fall down in the grass? Stop demonizing alcohol and focus on punishing those that get out of line.

^THIS

Alcohol isn't being "demonized", and no, it is not being treated like nuclear weapons. Even acknowledging the hyperbole, that comparison makes no sense.

amazes me how many people rely on drinking to enjoy a tailgate party. you guys should challenge yourself to make the tailgate party entertaining with out alcohol being present.

Alcohol isn't being "demonized", and no, it is not being treated like nuclear weapons. Even acknowledging the hyperbole, that comparison makes no sense.

But it kinda is. That is the point.

Look, I've quit drinking and I'd rather be around sober people than drunk people. That said, allowing beer/booze at the BlockG party or whatever wouldn't hurt the atmosphere.

Top Bottom