Kill is the complete opposite of Brewster

eker0016

Importer Exporter
Reaction score
I actually like Kill. I was thinking about how he is the polar opposite of Brewster in many ways:

Kill:Head coach at every level he has coached.
Brew:Never a head coach before he got here.

Kill: Not a flashy job among all of his positions.
Brewster: Had short stops in NFL (Denver, San Diego), longer stops at high profile UNC and UT-Austin.

Kill: Extremely loyal staff.
Brewster: Rotating door for coordinators.

Kill: About as exciting as a '95 Ford Taurus.
Brewster: Energized the fan base when he arrived (he turned me from a casual fan into a dedicated fan)

Kill: Sticks with his system and believes in it (announcers were commenting on his discipline and commitment to his system on Friday during the game).
Brewster: Musical chairs with offensive systems.

Kill: Proven record of building programs.
Brewster: Drove us into the ground (albeit, while improving the talent level).

Any others?

I actually like Kill. I was thinking about how he is the polar opposite of Brewster in many ways:

Brewster: Had short stops in NFL (Denver, San Diego), longer stops at high profile UNC and UT-Austin.

Brewster: Energized the fan base when he arrived (he turned me from a casual fan into a dedicated fan)

Kill: Sticks with his system and believes in it (announcers were commenting on his discipline and commitment to his system on Friday during the game).

Any others?

Substance over Bluster?

I'm not necessarily against Kill. He'll certainly have my support if he's the guy and he's paid his dues, winning at mediocre programs along the way.

I just don't understand why we'd go for Kill over guys who have expressed interest and are proven, big program, winners (Leach).

I agree, I saw someone say this was Brewster all over again and that to me is both unfair and not true.

However, it seems to me that if a guy like Kill or Chryst for that matter is hired, then we swung and missed at at least 15 candidates all while allowing Mike Leach to continue to beg for the job.

I'm not necessarily against Kill. He'll certainly have my support if he's the guy and he's paid his dues, winning at mediocre programs along the way.

I just don't understand why we'd go for Kill over guys who have expressed interest and are proven, big program, winners (Leach).

I really like Leach a lot as well. I wish we didn't feel the need to be so PC in our approach.

That said, if he is off limits and we can't hire the Bellotti's/Peterson's/Patterson's of the world, I like a lot of what Kill has going for him. Then again, I really liked Brewster as well, so there goes my judgment.

Any others?

sounds like the recently dismissed vikings HC... 'system, system, system'.

does dedication = stubborn??

I think it can, but if you look at his track record it would be hard to say it applies in this case. I will admit to being a little let down by the "splash" factor here, but I'm sticking with my gut feeling from the start - we need someone who can flat out coach more than someone who can make a press conference splash. Now maybe there are guys who can do both - and if that makes this (potential) hire a failure, then so be it.

Good point. I would argue that it does when he has evidence of success with his system.

With Childress...I have rarely seen a coach do less with more talent (outside of Charlie Weis at Notre Dame). When you are stubborn to the point of not having players buy into your system, then that is a problem.

Also, when you are clearly not performing anywhere near the level of the talent on your roster that shows stubbornness. I think Kill has generally outperformed his expectations based off of talent recruited. Childress had all of the tools at his disposal and last season was the only time I thought players played up to their full potential.

Top Bottom