Kill is literally the exact opposite of Brewster

Dirk Diggler

Reaction score
Brewster was slick operating car salesman type who looked the part with no track record of success. I have no doubt he had good intentions here, but he was an arrogant blowhard. Kill is a no-nonsense blue collar guy who has won as a head coach.

Completely opposite...I think that could be a good think.

I've had my gripes with the process but I support Kill and I think he'll do a good job here.

Kill

I totally agree. We need a blue collar coach and get back to winning.

Brewster was also an extremely hard worker. You've got to give him that much, and he and Kill have a definite commonality in that regard. If effort were all it took, then we would have been fine with Brewster, but all his hard work couldn't overcome the fact that he had no idea how to coach a football team on the field, and in that sense he and Kill could not possibly be more different.

The temperament of the Gopher HC has swung like a pendulum since Lou Holtz. We always go for the exact opposite of the predecessor thinking that THIS TIME we will get it right.

After Lou we went to someone a little more studious and low key with Gutekunst. That did not work, so we needed someone with energy, drive, enthusiasm and got Wacker. After that disaster we decide that we needed someone far less emotional, someone who could coach and got Glen Mason. However, Glen was too laid back - need someone with drive, passion and here comes Brewster. No, no - we decide that enthusiasm is not what we need, back to the low key, even-keeled Kill.

Guaranteed that if Kill does not work out that the pendulum will swing 180 degrees again.

Instead of going with the opposite, it would be nice if we added to the good qualities Brewster brought to the table. Switching strengths and weaknesses doesn't get us anywhere.

Instead of going with the opposite, it would be nice if we added to the good qualities Brewster brought to the table. Switching strengths and weaknesses doesn't get us anywhere.

Please remind me what those good qualities were?

He made his coaches sleep in their offices during camp and spoke with a fake Texas accent. His recruiting was way overblown. He blathered on with the same loop of awful cliches.

He built very little public support in the context of that a new stadium opened under his tenure. The student section actually dropped from close to 11,000 in 2006 to 2007 and beyond.

He tried to gin up interest from Kansas after they gassed Manigino and certainly would have bolted to Illinois or somwhere else if anything good ever had happened under his watch. He was all hot air with no loyalty at all to the U of M in my estimation.

Again, please remind me what positive qualities this clown really had.

Please remind me what those good qualities were?

He made his coaches sleep in their offices during camp and spoke with a fake Texas accent. His recruiting was way overblown. He blathered on with the same loop of awful cliches.

He built very little public support in the context of that a new stadium opened under his tenure. The student section actually dropped from close to 11,000 in 2006 to 2007 and beyond.

He tried to gin up interest from Kansas after they gassed Manigino and certainly would have bolted to Illinois or somwhere else if anything good ever had happened under his watch. He was all hot air with no loyalty at all to the U of M in my estimation.

Again, please remind me what positive qualities this clown really had.

The only positive thing Brew did was lock up a lot more MN kids than Mason and essentially lock Wisconsin and Iowa out of MN. In Brew's three classes, we lost one kid ranked in the state's top 5 to WI.

Other than that, he was a complete failure.

Brewster was slick operating car salesman type who looked the part with no track record of success. I have no doubt he had good intentions here, but he was an arrogant blowhard. Kill is a no-nonsense blue collar guy who has won as a head coach.

Completely opposite...I think that could be a good think.

I've had my gripes with the process but I support Kill and I think he'll do a good job here.

You didn't hear all that Rose Bowl talk, Kill talked about the little things that we have to concentrate on now so bigger things will come.

I am warming up to Kill as well as others are but I worry about recruiting. Brewster could somewhat recruit at least at the start of his tenure. Kill looks like he can coach but will he able to recruit is the big question. I too wish we could get someone who could do both--who knows maybe it will be Kill.

Say what you want about Brewster but I will always have better feelings about him than I ever will for Mason. Brewster wanted to be in Minnesota too, and he worked his ass off when he was here. And as far as I am concerned he out recruited Mason from the first day he was here to the last day. Remember, Mason himself said that recruiting is 80% of college football coaching. Starting next year we are all going to find out just how well Brewster could recruit. Finally, I don't think I have read about even one Gopher player who did like Brewster. He deserves better than the constant abuse that he is taking in GopherHole.

Say what you want about Brewster but I will always have better feelings about him than I ever will for Mason. Brewster wanted to be in Minnesota too, and he worked his ass off when he was here. And as far as I am concerned he out recruited Mason from the first day he was here to the last day. Remember, Mason himself said that recruiting is 80% of college football coaching. Starting next year we are all going to find out just how well Brewster could recruit. Finally, I don't think I have read about even one Gopher player who did like Brewster. He deserves better than the constant abuse that he is taking in GopherHole.

Agree.

The temperament of the Gopher HC has swung like a pendulum since Lou Holtz. We always go for the exact opposite of the predecessor thinking that THIS TIME we will get it right.

After Lou we went to someone a little more studious and low key with Gutekunst. That did not work, so we needed someone with energy, drive, enthusiasm and got Wacker. After that disaster we decide that we needed someone far less emotional, someone who could coach and got Glen Mason. However, Glen was too laid back - need someone with drive, passion and here comes Brewster. No, no - we decide that enthusiasm is not what we need, back to the low key, even-keeled Kill.

Guaranteed that if Kill does not work out that the pendulum will swing 180 degrees again.

Agree.
It is amazing to see all the people calling Brewster a big blow hard now. Some of these people are the same people that would rip Patrick when he called out Brew and his big talk. A few people never liked Brewster's boasting and should feel free to give Kill his props. However, there are way to many people on this board gushing about how great Kill is because he didn't talk about going to a Rose Bowl. Man up. I loved Brew's big talk and drank the kool-aid heavily. Brewster's biggest failure wasn't talking a big game, it was being a poor coach. Maybe the lesson to learn here is to not fall in love with a coach after one press conference. If Kill is fired after 4 years, the media and public will rip him for being in over his head and a country bumpkin. Support the coach but don't label him the messiah because he is the opposite of the last guy.

So if Coach Kill has the ability to make a very positive impression on the players, our early verbals, MN coaches, media, the AD/Presidents, and we can't leave out his lovely wife, why can't he do the same for the recruits he goes after?

IMO, Coach Kill seems to have a very good track record in improving recruiting at NIU. I have confidence he will be able to do very well with a bunch of 3* and even the right 2* if he has the time to develop them. He seems to have won over Marques who was All-World. And no one has tranferred to this point.

What a great insite!...Maybe our next AD will be the opposite of maturi! He will focus on revenue producing sports, create an environment like they have at Wisky and Mich State that fosters winning programs, and will get out of the way and let his coaches succeed.

I don't view him as a 180 from Brew at all, I think(hope?) he combines Brew's enthusiasm and work ethic with Mason's coaching ability. If we have a coach that can coach like Mase with Brew's passion I think we will be more than happy.

I am hoping...

that Coach Kill experiences success with players that he didn't recruit to suit his system. Brewster's players are athletic, but my hope is that he can experience success so that other Big Ten caliber athletes will be drawn to Coach Kill's system because they see the quality of his coaching.

I look at Dean Blais...He is not going to win anyone over with flashy style or good looks. But he gets high quality hockey players that give Lucia's Gophers loads of problems..Because he's one heckuva coach. I'm hoping we got College Football's Dean Blais. What he lacks in style and sizzle, he makes up for in coaching quality.

18 year olds want to win, and they want to go where they think they can. Hopefully, Coach Kill can coach up Brewster's athletes to demonstrate his acumen to the next generation of Gopher football recruits that fit into his vision for the program.

Top Bottom