Kickoff Luncheon

WillieBurton

Reaction score
Brewster did a nice job getting everyone fired up about the season at the Kickoff Luncheon today. Clearly, he and the team are finding motivation in the fact that everyone is writing them off. They believe in themselves, which was evident from the interviews Dave Mona did with Adam Weber, Jon Hoese and Brandon Kirksey, as well. Brewster also talked about the unselfishness of Marqueis Gray and how he's going to be a great receiver this year (he asked everyone to envision Weber throwing a 90-yard TD pass to Gray against MTSU). All in all, it made me wish the season was starting tomorrow, instead of next week. While Brewster didn't say it, I got the impression that because MTSU is not a big team in the trenches, they intend to pound the ball as much as they can. I think we can also expect to see a lot of different defensive formations to contain Dasher, such as bringing in an extra speed rusher on the outside, opposite Wilhite (most likely Matt Garin or Leston Simpson), while moving Hageman inside next to Kirksey. I can't wait for this season to get underway!

I think you may want to not include any game planning stuff that was mentioned at the luncheon on a public board.

Brewster did a nice job getting everyone fired up about the season at the Kickoff Luncheon today. Clearly, he and the team are finding motivation in the fact that everyone is writing them off. They believe in themselves, which was evident from the interviews Dave Mona did with Adam Weber, Jon Hoese and Brandon Kirksey, as well. Brewster also talked about the unselfishness of Marqueis Gray and how he's going to be a great receiver this year (he asked everyone to envision Weber throwing a 90-yard TD pass to Gray against MTSU). All in all, it made me wish the season was starting tomorrow, instead of next week. Later, talking to some of the players, they talked about how MTSU is not a big team in the trenches and they intend to pound the ball as much as they can. We should also expect to see a lot of different defensive formations to contain Dasher, such as bringing in an extra speed rusher on the outside, opposite Wilhite (most likely Matt Garin or Leston Simpson), while moving Hageman inside next to Kirksey. I can't wait for this season to get underway!

Nice recap. Thanks

It will be a long season if we cannot dominate both lines of scrimmage next week. Their dline is really undersized and our dline is about the same size as their oline. I would imagine they're going to blitz us quite a bit since we had trouble handling it last year (see SDSU and Illinois games).

I think you may want to not include any game planning stuff that was mentioned at the luncheon on a public board.

Maybe, but quite frankly if they don't want the info out and about they need to A) tell people not to pass it on or B) not mention it at all. Besides, the info he shared really won't help MTSU prepare for anything anyway.

Thanks WillieBurton, great recap. I wish I could have been at the luncheon.

Go Gophers!!

Maybe, but quite frankly if they don't want the info out and about they need to A) tell people not to pass it on or B) not mention it at all. Besides, the info he shared really won't help MTSU prepare for anything anyway.

His post was not bad, and it's not a big deal. But as a general rule, if the players are talking about it privately, it's probably not a great idea to post it on a public forum. There's no secret that we're trying to run the football and will on Sept 2. It's simply better to keep things said at events like this private to both encourage people to attend these events, and to allow the players and staff to feel comfortable divulging somewhat confidential info.

These teams have had a year to prepare. Other than the Dasher situation, there will be no surprises regarding personnel or size.
I would hope the MTSU staff is smart enough to know a bigger team will try to pound the ball against them.

Top Bottom