Kicking woes

bamor5229

Reaction score
I know former Vikings special teams coach Maalouf was helping out in fall practice, but is it possible that Tricketts kicking motion has been tweaked causing him to miss 3 kicks in the game? I know it didn’t hurt us in this matchup but last year we lost two games due to poor kicks. The punter has also been less than stellar. Other than Kesich, we have not gotten what we hoped for from our kickers.

I know former Vikings special teams coach Maalouf was helping out in fall practice, but is it possible that Tricketts kicking motion has been tweaked causing him to miss 3 kicks in the game? I know it didn’t hurt us in this matchup but last year we lost two games due to poor kicks. The punter has also been less than stellar. Other than Kesich, we have not gotten what we hoped for from our kickers.
The bigger question is of all the NFL teams, why did they choose a former Vikings Special Teams coach to help? Have they not watched the Viking’s kickers?

I wonder why we haven’t given the transfer punter from Ark St. a shot yet. Seems like now is the time to try something or someone else.

Trickett was perfect the first two games including a 46-yarder in the rain against OSU and a 50 yarder against Miami Ohio. He is 85% from all distances for his college career which is now in year four. His extra point miss Saturday was the third in more than 100 kicked in his college career.

Last Saturday was an aberration. He will be fine.

I wonder why we haven’t given the transfer punter from Ark St. a shot yet. Seems like now is the time to try something or someone else.
He kicks every day in practice. Whenever they think he is the better option we will see him.

Trickett was perfect the first two games including a 46-yarder in the rain against OSU and a 50 yarder against Miami Ohio. He is 85% from all distances for his college career which is now in year four. His extra point miss Saturday was the third in more than 100 kicked in his college career.

Last Saturday was an aberration. He will be fine.
I hope you are right. It has been some time since kicking has won us a game rather than losing it.

I think they should require your kicker to actually be a player. Required to play 25% of snaps on offense or defense or you forfeit the game. Imagine how fun that would be.

I’m almost positive his steps were off just slightly. I don’t have the film to show it but he is too good to do that. Hard to adjust in game, but minor adjustment during the week will fix it. If his plant foot was off by and inch or the ball was sitting slightly off what he is use to, it can cause these issues.

The bigger question is of all the NFL teams, why did they choose a former Vikings Special Teams coach to help? Have they not watched the Viking’s kickers?
Blame it on Mike Zimmer. Come to think that the Vikings drafted Daniel Carlson from Auburn in the 5th Round in 2018.

He had a rough start, and the impatient intemperate Zimmer cut the guy. His temper and impatience make it difficult to deal with kickers. Carlson is perfect for the Raiders so far this year.

is it possible that Tricketts kicking motion has been tweaked causing him to miss 3 kicks in the game?
Almost 4500' elevation difference will cause some headaches for kickers not used to kicking in the rare air...

Blame it on Mike Zimmer. Come to think that the Vikings drafted Daniel Carlson from Auburn in the 5th Round in 2018.

He had a rough start, and the impatient intemperate Zimmer cut the guy. His temper and impatience make it difficult to deal with kickers. Carlson is perfect for the Raiders so far this year.
Would you say Zimmer is patient and temperate or no?

I think they should require your kicker to actually be a player. Required to play 25% of snaps on offense or defense or you forfeit the game. Imagine how fun that would be.
So basically line up with ten position players.

OK -- and what if you do the same with our kicker after he missed the extra point and FG? You scream at him for 5 minutes and let the next guy kick and you mess the kid up the rest of the year. Doing this is a very bad idea. The way Zimmer handled Carlson was obviously wrong and he deserves to watch the kid boot perfect FG's the rest of the year!!

The Vikings will have a different head coach next year. And maybe new GM, too.

Top Bottom