KFAN Post-game - Fargo Flash thinks Brew back next year?

TCF=UnitedWeStand

Reaction score
I didn't listen to the KFAN postgame show, but a guy in our crew did and said FF thinks it is very likely brew WILL be back next year because there is an outgoing President and a lame-duck AD in place. Thus, any new coach isn't going to want to come here because a new AD will want to bring in his own coach.

If he did in fact say this, I don't agree. If a coach wants to be the head coach here, he's going to have a five or six year contract. Even if a new AD comes on board, it's not like he (or she) is going to be able to just get rid of the guy.

And, the though of Brew being back and the negativity that would surround the program all off-season just makes me sick in the gut...

Yeah, I'd say there's a small chance it happens. The trouble will be getting a good candidate in here who is willing to work without knowing who his new boss will be. It's not that he would get canned by the new AD to bring someone of his or her own choosing in; it's more about not knowing the personality, how heavily he or she (to say nothing of the new president) will fight to protect/grow the football budget, etc.

If we win one or two games this year, Brew is almost certainly gone. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

if this is the case I have 6 season tickets that won't be getting renewed and I imagine there are a lot of season ticket holders that feel the same way. The only way I renew is if Brew is gone and I sense and change in direction in the program.

if this is the case I have 6 season tickets that won't be getting renewed and I imagine there are a lot of season ticket holders that feel the same way. The only way I renew is if Brew is gone and I sense and change in direction in the program.

What a lame statement. Who the hell gets tickets because of the coach? How many years have the Gophers been playing? 100 years? There are good times and bad. In my 26 years of having official season tickets, there have been some good times and bad. Would love a rose bowl but a REAL fan sticks with their team...which happens to be the University and players, not the fricken coach. Give up your tickets and get season tickets to golf or tennis.

As uncomfortable as it feels to say it, it may make sense to wait until the new Pres. and AD are in place before hiring the new coach. I mean that just makes sense on a variety of levels, but that would require us to suffer through another year of Brewster and Co. So is it worth that pain, to wait and hire a coach with the unconditional support and commitment from the new administration, or is it too much to ask, and would the thought of another year of Brewster eroding the program be too damaging to even contemplate?

I have no idea. It's a tough call though.

What a lame statement. Who the hell gets tickets because of the coach? How many years have the Gophers been playing? 100 years? There are good times and bad. In my 26 years of having official season tickets, there have been some good times and bad. Would love a rose bowl but a REAL fan sticks with their team...which happens to be the University and players, not the fricken coach. Give up your tickets and get season tickets to golf or tennis.

I get your point, but, respectfully, he's not alone in that sentiment. I'll stick by the team, but I feel like there are a lot of season ticket holders who would not renew if Brew comes back.

Hard to look down on them for doing that, imo. Times are tough right now for a lot of people. I can't blame them if they don't want to spend $300+ per ticket to watch another year of potential ineptitude.

wow sonny, what a wonderful show of support for the Golden Gopher football program. You should be supporting the program no matter who the coach is or no matter what the state of the program is in. I'll be glad to buy those tickets from you.

I get your point, but, respectfully, he's not alone in that sentiment. I'll stick by the team, but I feel like there are a lot of season ticket holders who would not renew if Brew comes back.

Hard to look down on them for doing that, imo. Times are tough right now for a lot of people. I can't blame them if they don't want to spend $300+ per ticket to watch another year of potential ineptitude.

I understand your point but really, I see this whole thing happening now getting major attention after this season is over and Brew or no Brew, improvement will ensue. Why would you leave your tickets out to dry? I say don't skin your knees jumping off the band wagon. Are you going to the wisky game?

Agree. We are in a recessionary economy, and things are tough all over the place. And when it comes to discretionary spending like that, it's not my place nor anyone else (in my opinion) to question that or make value judgments on how others choose to spend or not spend their money.

If that person feels that he/she is throwing their hard-earned money away on a product that is extremely unsatisfying to them, then they have every right to not do that anymore and not be questioned or attacked about it as if they've made some morally indefensible choice.

I understand your point but really, I see this whole thing happening now getting major attention after this season is over and Brew or no Brew, improvement will ensue. Why would you leave your tickets out to dry? I say don't skin your knees jumping off the band wagon. Are you going to the wisky game?

I'm with you. I've already told the wife we're buying the tickets around us owned by brokers if the worst comes to pass and our winning is done for the year. Hard to believe they'd renew if fan apathy gets where I'd expect it would with one win.

No, not able to make it on any road trips this year. Will be heading to the Big House next year. We'll look for you out there.

I'm sure those in our crew will all hold on to their tickets (there are seven of us with 13 tickets between us, but we've arranged to have all of our tickets in the same seats, in three consecutive rows) because the tailgating and hanging out are as much a part of the experience as anything - we won't give that up.

That being said, I really don't want to deal with another year of this - our $1 dollar fine system for negative comments is overflowing to the point that we're all just tired of even enforcing it; the games have been too depressing to even bother.

If that person feels that he/she is throwing their hard-earned money away on a product that is extremely unsatisfying to them, then they have every right to not do that anymore and not be questioned or attacked about it as if they've made some morally indefensible choice.

Bingo. Gotta love the fans that just expect people to pony up for season tickets to go watch a 1-10 team. Why the fuc& would people pay to watch what is on the field right now, why don't you jump off that horse you're riding on Jay. If Brew is gone and we go get a coach that is worth a lick I will be keeping my tickets, if not I will wait until Brew is gone and at that time there will be more than enough season tickets available for me to jump back in. In the meantime you have a heck of a time watching bad football in a half empty stadium next year.

Is anyone else tired of the arrogant pricks on this board that tell the rest of us what "a real fan" is? Give it a break already.

The same Fargo Flash that thinks Matt Garmin is going to be a Heisman winner?

I wouldn't put too much stock in what the "fargo flash" says. He doesn't know what he's talking about...

It's the ultimate power of the consumer- voting with the pocketbook. If the product sucks, then you can register your disapproval by no longer buying into it, and that has nothing to do with that person's love of the University or how big a 'fan' they are. Sometimes enough is just enough, and then it's too damn much.

I live in Maine so it's not an issue for me, but if I lived in the Twin Cities, I will tell ya right now that it would be one. I don't know that I could or would 'buy in' to what I'm seeing out there, particularly given the state of the economy and my own personal circumstance.

If this University would give a commitment to their fans that they're serious about winning, than that would be a totally different beast. They got off to a great start with building TCF, but then Brewster managed to piss all that excitement and hope and goodwill away, and that is the ultimate hurt. We'll never have that situation again, the brand new stadium and all the excitement that brought, and to have stunk that up and to continue to stink it up and just throw it all away....what can ya say?

another side of season tix are those sold to corps and general sports fans, those are likely the ones they are going to lose as true fan alumni come no matter what as the event is more than the game, no matter how bad it is, as enough lubrication means you don't even know the score until the next day anyway. If I still ived in Mpls, I'd still come, maybe picket the admin/coaching staff before the game, but watch and cheer anyway, maybe no longer make donations to the U, I'm on the books for $50K in donations, but an withholding anymore for the foreseeable future.

another side of season tix are those sold to corps and general sports fans, those are likely the ones they are going to lose as true fan alumni come no matter what as the event is more than the game, no matter how bad it is, as enough lubrication means you don't even know the score until the next day anyway. If I still ived in Mpls, I'd still come, maybe picket the admin/coaching staff before the game, but watch and cheer anyway, maybe no longer make donations to the U, I'm on the books for $50K in donations, but an withholding anymore for the foreseeable future.

Oh no

Bingo. Gotta love the fans that just expect people to pony up for season tickets to go watch a 1-10 team. Why the fuc& would people pay to watch what is on the field right now, why don't you jump off that horse you're riding on Jay. If Brew is gone and we go get a coach that is worth a lick I will be keeping my tickets, if not I will wait until Brew is gone and at that time there will be more than enough season tickets available for me to jump back in. In the meantime you have a heck of a time watching bad football in a half empty stadium next year.

Point taken and thank you for substantiating mine. By the way, I don't ride horses, scared of them. I ride one of those avatar things you saw in the movie.

Terrible post. Being satisfied with mediocrity does not make you a "REAL fan," it makes you "not a fan."

+1

Terrible post. Being satisfied with mediocrity does not make you a "REAL fan," it makes you "not a fan."

Where does it say I am satisfied? Definitely not satisfied and definitely expect something to be done about this non-excusable performance. I do get sonny's frustration and hope he keeps his tickets, he is a good gopher fan from what I have seen. By the way, "terrible post"? take that back! I have seen way worse and I'll take back calling sonny's statement lame. Everyone is entitled to their view. I think we are all very frustrated right now.

Because of the Prez and AD situation Bewster being back next regardless of the record is possible. The problem being fan apathy has already set in and there would be no reason for excitement next season surrounding the program leaving many feeling like not spending the money on season tickets unless you are one of those that feel things are moving in the right direction.

Next year say the team goes 5-7 or 6-6 IMO many will believe this is just more of the same and this has already been done. Another medicore season and the program is no better off 5 years with this HC. It will be even harder to sell this HC and program to the masses if that is what happens. If Brewster is still around for year 5 he probably will need to go 8-4 or 9-3 to actually show as he likes to say "the program is light years ahead" from the one he took over.

Make the Right Decision

What coach would want to come to MN when the AD and the President are out in the next 2 years. Last thing we need is an emotional firing and we start this whole thing over. Get the right people in place to make the optimal hire before resorting to the C list of college football coaches.

I think we are all very frustrated right now.

Exactamundo, as the Fonz would say. We are understandably a very frustrated fan base right now, so what you've got are fans sniping at each other over trivialities, when all the anger should be directed towards Joel Maturi's office, as he is the architect of all of this.

Exactamundo, as the Fonz would say. We are understandably a very frustrated fan base right now, so what you've got are fans sniping at each other over trivialities, when all the anger should be directed towards Joel Maturi's office, as he is the architect of all of this.

Very true, many on this board wake up at 5:00am or earlier, drive along way and set up a tailgate that was planned all week, recruit friends to experience the day, sit in our incredibly fine stadium, and then spend the next 3.5 hours watching something we don't deserve. Leave disappointed and frustrated.

The only thing LAME is telling other people how to spend their money and thinking that they can't voice their opinion with the almighty dollar.

If Brewster is allowed to come back I have no problem with people voting with their wallets. The dude is a terrible coach and he needs to go. He defends every moronic decision whether its right or wrong. Its time.

Not buying tickets doesn't mean you aren't a fan, either.

Very true, many on this board wake up at 5:00am or earlier, drive along way and set up a tailgate that was planned all week, recruit friends to experience the day, sit in our incredibly fine stadium, and then spend the next 3.5 hours watching something we don't deserve. Leave disappointed and frustrated.

And then, on Monday, have to explain to our co-workers that Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden and Bill Cowher will not be coaching the team next year....

And then, on Monday, have to explain to our co-workers that Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden and Bill Cowher will not be coaching the team next year....

LOL

Top Bottom