KFAN interviewing Badger's Lepay?

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
Apparently KFAN has decided to bring on Matt Lepay (the voice of the Badgers) as one of their guests this morning. Didn't hear it myself...GG05 let me know that he was hearing about it as he drove to his worksite. Discuss.

Apparently KFAN has decided to bring on Matt Lepay (the voice of the Badgers) as one of their guests this morning. Didn't hear it myself...GG05 let me know that he was hearing about it as he drove to his worksite. Discuss.

I heard it. OMG, they're discussing the upcoming game?!?!? The jerks!

Not everything is a fricking conspiracy.

Well they can't have Dave Lee on for obvious reasons. And if the Gopher program won't provide any interviewees leading into gameday, yet KFAN wants to cover the game, I'm not sure if they have many other options. I think that kind of interview should actually be done on a weekly basis (in addition to local interviewees if made available). I think it's interesting to get a report and hear about the mood/status of the opposition each week.

Matt Lepay is awesome....just like Iowa's Gary Dolphin. They are true voices of their football programs. Just like Ray was for the U. Too bad the U doesn't give a darn about that now. Total joke.

Frankly I don't care one way or the other (and I can't even listen to it in the first place). I figured it would end up on the board eventually and figured I'd post it once I heard about it.

It certainly isn't a conspiracy (oddly, I don't believe I called it one either).

And Lepay certainly has a radio voice. I would be able to pick out a Badger radio broadcast immediately if he's talking.

Good interview. A caller after even mentioned Gopher "boycott" and PA said that's been settled and they could get someone if they wanted.

If you've been listening, they've avoided talking about the Gophers all week. No coverage there means no negative coverage so that's fine with me, but today that's been just wonderful!!:rockon::rockon:

It's been quite welcome with what's happened off the field. They didn't even mention the trouble much during the Justin Conzemius segment. It's got to be killing them!:D

I wonder if Barrerio will be able to hold his tongue or if the temptation to rip and an honest story at that, will bring down this enjoyable moment!

Now, the Gophers just need to beat the Badgers!

They have always brought people from the opposing teams in a variety of sports...really is a non issue.

Matt Lepay is awesome....just like Iowa's Gary Dolphin. They are true voices of their football programs. Just like Ray was for the U. Too bad the U doesn't give a darn about that now. Total joke.

I listened to Matt Lepay doing the badger play-by-play when I was growing up just over the border in Wisconsin, and I would love to have him calling the Gopher games. I don't care for Mike Lucas at all though.

Mike Grimm seems a lot like Lepay to me. I like when Grimm dose hoops games, and wish he could call football instead of Dave Lee.

I think the best Lepay call was when the badgers were playing at Purdue, and Drew Brees took off running and just got drilled. He dropped the ball and a badger scooped and scored. Another good call was a Nick Davis punt return for a TD. I always like how he says "touchdown Wisconsin" and not "touchdown Davis<INSERT name player?s>". Lee couldn't do that thought because he needs to say "touchdown Decker" because he won't tell you during the play who is running it or who the ball is being thrown too.

Lee couldn't do that thought because he needs to say "touchdown Decker" because he won't tell you during the play who is running it or who the ball is being thrown too.

I'm surprised we even get the name once the TD is scored. That should be considered a bonus.

Matt is really a nice guy. We played on the same softball team not long after he came to town. Great play by play voice. He's had a few chances to move on to higher profile gigs, but has stayed in Madison. I thought we would have lost him to the NFL by now, but I'm very happy he has remained with UW.

I like Lepay and he is an excellent announcer. Sadly he was more knowledgeable about the Gopher football team than PA. But there is some good stuff from the last couple of days on KFAN fan on demand.

One thing I have heard PA say at least a couple of times now, I think it was in his Jack Brewer segment, is that Mason was a great late-game coach. I cannot understand that one. Mason was good at player development and game prep, but his teams never adjusted in the second half and showed poor clock management on a regular basis.

One thing I have heard PA say at least a couple of times now, I think it was in his Jack Brewer segment, is that Mason was a great late-game coach. I cannot understand that one. Mason was good at player development and game prep, but his teams never adjusted in the second half and showed poor clock management on a regular basis.

I think he's been spouting this nonsense for a while.

I think he's been spouting this nonsense for a while.

Usually right but he caught himself today. Right after saying it he followed with something on the order of "what I mean is he was great at preparing for a team". Yeah, they never read this site!:blah::blah:

While I hated seeing it as a fan, there was something quite comical about about looking for Mason on the sidelines after a play went against the Gophers. His "what the hell just happened?" look was pretty darn priceless!:)

Still one wonders what would have happened if Mason would have actually decided he wanted to stay here and devoted his energies to that rather then.....

When did Mason ever show poor clock management????

Please give me one example other than - "Kamrath snapped the ball with 7 seconds left on the playclock with 5 minutes left in a game." Please.

Game adjustments, especially defensively, no question. There were none.

But poor clock management? It simply isn't true - and I never saw one example of this in 10 years. Poor clock management is a blanket term uneducated fans use when they don't like a coach.

Poor clock management is Les Miles keeping a timeout on the board and getting balied out with a 30 yard TD with one second left. Poor clock management is Danny Hope taking a TO with only 30 sec left in the game with ND scrambling to get up and run a play.

Poor clock management is not Glen Mason.

Please give me one example other than - "Kamrath snapped the ball with 7 seconds left on the playclock with 5 minutes left in a game." Please.

But poor clock management? It simply isn't true - and I never saw one example of this in 10 years. Poor clock management is a blanket term uneducated fans use when they don't like a coach.

Poor clock management is Les Miles keeping a timeout on the board and getting balied out with a 30 yard TD with one second left. Poor clock management is Danny Hope taking a TO with only 30 sec left in the game with ND scrambling to get up and run a play.

You could question how he handled time at the end of the first half on many occasions, well at least the booing indicated that many people in the crowd questioned his management. I can remember being confused at whether he was trying to run the clock out or try to score on more then one occasion. He seemed to do both on the same possesion.

Josh, better yet maybe his judgement at those times was being questioned. He seemed to have more faith in his Defense and their ability to hold a lead then was justified.

Hell, the "what the hell just happened" look my have led to this feeling rather the actual clock management mistakes.

I don't think he had a consistent clock management issue, but I can remember some clear bonehead TO scenarios. For instance, in the '06 game vs NDSU he called back to back TO's prior to punting the ball back to NDSU while leaving us with no TO's in case they scored.

Not saying this is the rule, but he certainly wasn't immune to the affliction.

I can remember being confused at whether he was trying to run the clock out or try to score on more then one occasion. He seemed to do both on the same possesion.

Hell, the "what the hell just happened" look my have led to this feeling rather the actual clock management mistakes.

Right on both counts. He seemed to simultaneously be running the clock out and trying to score very regularly. The result was often just that the clock would run out, but it's a dangerous way to play in my opinion.

The Mason look is one my friends and I talk about often. The gaping mouth, the look in his eyes that seems to reveal he doesn't know what city, state, or even sport he is coaching in. It's a look that I can laugh at now, having had two+ years to get over having seen it way, way too often.

So you're evaluation of a coach is based on "that look in his eye?" Wow.

I'm not trying to totally defend Mason. His downfall was playing a base defense 99% of the time and his inability to develop balance on offense. The game changed from when he learned it in the 60's and 70's. No longer could you win by only running the ball. Athletes improved to the point where they could beat a base defense on a consistent basis with their speed and precision. Mason refused to adjust to these changes in the college football landscape, and could not beat the teams with superior athletes on a consistent basis.

But again, you're questioning his philosophy more than his game management. Think of it this way. If you're a 90% running team trying to protect the lead - the last thing you would do is pass. Trying to score in the last minute of a half? Pretty difficult when you're not a passing team. Again, the philosophy comes into play, not clock management.

I just hate when people who obviously don't know what they're talking about use "bad clock management" as some sort of blanket critisism when they can't provide any examples.

I also don't think "that look in his eye" makes any sense. You have no idea what he's thinking or feeling. It just makes you seem like you have no idea about what you're talking about.

Mason had his ten years. Couldn't get it done, wasn't getting better. I'm just not sure there needs to be anything more to it than that. It was time to move on.

Mason often didn't know what he wanted to do in the final minutes of the first half. A couple notable items stick out. In 1999 when we were home to OSU we led 10-7 with 2:05 left in the half. Minnesota had dominated the first half. OSU's only points were a horrible pick-6 that Cockerham threw on the first drive. So we're up 3 and took over on around out 35 yard line with 2:05 left and Mason proceeds to call 3 run plays up the middle and grind the clock out. No desire to drive the 40 yards for a FG. We ended up losing 20-17 when OSU kicked a FG with a little over a minute left to play.

Another example was 2000 @ Wisconsin. Minnesota leads 12-3 with a little over 1 minute to play in the 1st half. It was 4th and long and he sends Nystrom out to kick a 58 yard FG into the wind! The ball didn't make it to the goalline. Rather than pin Sconnie deep and go into the half up 9, he gave it to them at their 48 yard line with 1:00 to play. Wisconsin scored on 2 plays and went into the locker room trailing 12-10 and had all the momentum going into the 2nd half. Minnesota got outscored 31-8 in the 2nd half.

I like Lepay and he is an excellent announcer. Sadly he was more knowledgeable about the Gopher football team than PA. But there is some good stuff from the last couple of days on KFAN fan on demand.

wow. further proof that PA has no clue. mason was so overmatched in the half time adjustment category that we probably give the current staff too much credit for some of the second half play. anything in the game adjustment category would probably beat mason.

I forgot about that Nystrom 57-yard FG attempt against Wisc. Fair point.

Yes, I was thinking about the numerous instances of bad game management at the end of the half. A game against Purdue at the dome and a game against UW in Camp Randall spring to mind, can't remember the years.

One example at the end of the game was the second Sun Bowl game against Oregon. Without extraordinary effort from Maroney and a gift from the opposing coach, we do not get that field off. We won the game in spite of, not because of, our late game management.

In general, when Mason's teams built a second half lead they were not able to put the game away, rather they played not to lose. That is all on the head coach.

This is not Mason bashing: I believe Mason was a solid coach who did some good things for this program, but late game coaching was not one of them.

Top Bottom