Key to Gophers' 2013 season

dinkything

Reaction score
As of early 4th quarter vs. UNLV, the Gophers have only been flagged once...for running into the punter, when it could have easily been the 15-yard roughing the punter. The penalty was declined, so the Gophers officially have 0 penalties for 0 yards...

On virtually every big play, the Gophers could have (and prolly should have) been flagged, but it never happened...no holding, no blocking from behind on big returns, no pass interference when numerous times a Gopher DB arrived early with contact.

If I'm Jerry Kill, I try to find out whether this officiating crew might be in Las Cruces next week.:cool:

I've never seen so few penalties against a MN team. We touched their receivers numerous times and the refs didn't blink. Hell even the replay on the interception went our way, which never happens. I turned to my wife at one point and said "UNLV is playing us even, yet they've had 3 Minnesota like plays that are the difference." Sometimes to win big games you have to come up big. This was no where near a big game, but at least our guys have some idea that it is possible. Giving up 450 yards to UNLV is like giving up 650 to Wisconsin and Michigan. Big Ten games aren't going to be very fun to watch again...

I've never seen so few penalties against a MN team. We touched their receivers numerous times and the refs didn't blink. Hell even the replay on the interception went our way, which never happens. I turned to my wife at one point and said "UNLV is playing us even, yet they've had 3 Minnesota like plays that are the difference." Sometimes to win big games you have to come up big. This was no where near a big game, but at least our guys have some idea that it is possible. Giving up 450 yards to UNLV is like giving up 650 to Wisconsin and Michigan. Big Ten games aren't going to be very fun to watch again...

Careful with your wording... this board doesn't like criticism... you aren't a real fan if you criticize the team...

Well, this is partly true, but the UNLV db's arrived early many times themselves, and only one call. Let 'em play.

Careful with your wording... this board doesn't like criticism... you aren't a real fan if you criticize the team...

What's your point? We get it. You aren't impressed with the W.

I don't think there is a sane person that would argue that the Gophers are playing flawless football right now. But you do realize that defense and special teams count too, right? Maybe part of their 450 yards is due to the fact that we keep handing them the ball after 1-play touchdowns, cool?

What's your point? We get it. You aren't impressed with the W.

I don't think there is a sane person that would argue that the Gophers are playing flawless football right now. But you do realize that defense and special teams count too, right? Maybe part of their 450 yards is due to the fact that we keep handing them the ball after 1-play touchdowns, cool?

I didn't say I wasn't impressed... just said I didn't see much to think that this year will be any different from last year...

I didn't say I wasn't impressed... just said I didn't see much to think that this year will be any different from last year...

Fair enough. Compare this opener to last year's, it's not all doom and gloom.

3OT vs Blow Out
Penalty City vs "Was it even being officiated?"

Our passing game is downright scary. Maybe we get McDonald and Harbison back and it looks better? Is McDonald suspended indefinitely?

As of early 4th quarter vs. UNLV, the Gophers have only been flagged once...for running into the punter, when it could have easily been the 15-yard roughing the punter. The penalty was declined, so the Gophers officially have 0 penalties for 0 yards...

On virtually every big play, the Gophers could have (and prolly should have) been flagged, but it never happened...no holding, no blocking from behind on big returns, no pass interference when numerous times a Gopher DB arrived early with contact.

If I'm Jerry Kill, I try to find out whether this officiating crew might be in Las Cruces next week.:cool:

early 4th quarter of the Western Illinois game...not one flag on the Gophers yet today....in spite of the obvious holding and pass interference...only 5 flags on the gophers all season...gonna be a 3-0 record within the hour

80% of our offensive plays cannot be a combination of RB and QB draws.

Fair enough. Compare this opener to last year's, it's not all doom and gloom.

3OT vs Blow Out
Penalty City vs "Was it even being officiated?"

Our passing game is downright scary. Maybe we get McDonald and Harbison back and it looks better? Is McDonald suspended indefinitely?

As mentioned in prior thread(s) he will not play this semester.

Looks to me like the refs from unlv/Las Cruces have been following the Gophers around this season, which is a good thing.

Early in the 4th quarter, only 3 penalties called on the Gophers so far, two of which were grabbing the facemask by RaShede.

No late hit out of bounds right in front of the Cornhusker bench in the 1st half.
No unnecessary roughness when Hill rode Martinez out of bounds in the 2nd half, again right in front of the Cornhusker bench, with the announcers repeating it looked like an intent to injure the QB.
No penalty on crown of helmet to Martinez's jawbone as he released the ball while in the pocket.
No pass interference...no holding...

Need to keep these refs the rest of the way!:cool:

Top Bottom