Key Matchups vs Illinois

Wet_Blanket_Guy

Reaction score
IMO the game will come down to the bigs:

Battle Garcia Payne

Vs

Mayer Hawkins Dainja

Mayer 6’9” SF - extremely seasoned coming from Baylor, great defender and shooter. Probably sticking on Battle all night

Hawkins 6’10” F - Playmaker who has size and speed to stay with JOJ no problem, will be an issue for us

Dainja 6’9” 270 - big boy with great feet - will be a nightmare when Payne isn’t on him and will be a battle (no pun intended) when he is on him.

These guys looked great against MSU

Last edited:

Battle Garcia Payne

Vs

Mayer Hawkins Dainja

Mayer 6’9” SF - extremely seasoned coming from Baylor, great defender and shooter. Probably sticking on Battle all night

Hawkins 6’10” F - Playmaker who has size and speed to stay with JOJ no problem, will be an issue for us

Dainja 6’9” 270 - big boy with great feet - will be a nightmare when Payne isn’t on him and will be a battle (no pun intended) when he is on him.

Hawkins hot and cold. See who shows up.

I do think this game is a tough matchup for the Gophers. Illinois is strong on the block. The Gophers will need a complete team defense and excellent ball movement with shots dropping on offense to have any chance at winning. Our hope is to get their bigs into foul trouble as Illinois is not deep off the bench.

I do think this game is a tough matchup for the Gophers. Illinois is strong on the block. The Gophers will need a complete team defense and excellent ball movement with shots dropping on offense to have any chance at winning. Our hope is to get their bigs into foul trouble as Illinois is not deep off the bench.
The tough part about getting their bigs in foul trouble is the gophers dont seem to get a lot of action towards the rim and don’t have a post that gets the ball a lot in the painted area.

This is one of those bad matchup scenarios I think.

will be huge for paint to stay out of foul trouble!

Battle Garcia Payne

Vs

Mayer Hawkins Dainja

Who is going to stop or slow down Terrance Shannon Jr.?

The tough part about getting their bigs in foul trouble is the gophers dont seem to get a lot of action towards the rim and don’t have a post that gets the ball a lot in the painted area.

This is one of those bad matchup scenarios I think.
For whatever reason, Payne was at the top of the key, initiating the offense. Rarely did I see him on the block and getting fed from the wing. Payne will need to work on his mid-range game and JOJ will need to get stronger. I said this game would be a tough matchup for the Gophers.

For whatever reason, Payne was at the top of the key, initiating the offense. Rarely did I see him on the block and getting fed from the wing. Payne will need to work on his mid-range game and JOJ will need to get stronger. I said this game would be a tough matchup for the Gophers.
That worked well in the first half. Then they got Payne against Dainja and stuck him with 2 fouls.

Illinois adjusted well, because they shut it down in the second half.

Top Bottom