Kevine Whaley

the point is, when one is an athlete at the University of Minnesota, whether we like it or not, are held at higher standards. That, my friends, is a fact of life. I do NOT know if Big Play's question ever got answered or not, but the point is, if a normal everyday student gets into a tustle, no word from anyone. If an athlete gets into one, it is news. To me, that is wrong, but that is the way it is. The public holds representatives responsible for their actions....just ask politicians.

BTW, if you are referring to Big Play, all he did was ask a question about if anyone else saw an article. He did NOT say he saw it happen. And no one has answered his questions. That bothers me...

Couple of thoughts on this...

Agree with most of your first paragraph. It is no doubt unfair, but athletes are held to a higher standard. That said, it seems that many (not you) are jumping to the conclusion that a post on a message board is undisputed fact. Big Play DID NOT imply this, but his initial post was followed by the usual suspects doling out their moralistic condemnations of this kids character. Of course, the fact that none of them know Whaley or exactly what transpired is of no consequence to them. While you are bothered by the lack of an answer Big Play's question, I would advise you look at it from the standpoint of your first paragraph. "If an athlete gets into one (fight), it is news". As we have yet to hear anything other than hearsay, in point, internet hearsay-- the lowest form, I would be somewhat heartened. We all know the newsies in the Twin Cities love a story like this, even if it is just a short blurb. Be patient and we'll see what happens, but at present, I'm inclined to think it is a non-issue.

general undirected p.s.: I was in a fraternity, and while I am kind of a dick :D , many of my brothers were not, so that stereotype doesn't pass the smell test anymore than one of Loons racist rants from days gone by or the stereotypes being applied to Whaley.

the point is, when one is an athlete at the University of Minnesota, whether we like it or not, are held at higher standards. That, my friends, is a fact of life. I do NOT know if Big Play's question ever got answered or not, but the point is, if a normal everyday student gets into a tustle, no word from anyone. If an athlete gets into one, it is news. To me, that is wrong, but that is the way it is. The public holds representatives responsible for their actions....just ask politicians.

BTW, if you are referring to Big Play, all he did was ask a question about if anyone else saw an article. He did NOT say he saw it happen. And no one has answered his questions. That bothers me...

There was no "article". There was a post on a Scout forum by someone who supposedly had a roommate that was on the football team and alleged to have witnessed this assault. Other posters asked this person if they reported this to the police and got no response. I have yet to see any other information at all, that this event even occurred. As others have pointed out, one would think this would be newsworthy if true.

OK. Then I guess the whole thing is a non-issue.

We don't know the kid. We don't know what is rumor and what is fact. But keep in mind that no small number of people get through their entire lives without being shot or punching someone in the face. Some people are constantly in a situation where those things happen....they are not just around the wrong people, they ARE the wrong people. We do not need players who are "trouble" or who damage the program or embarrass the university. We have had our full quota of that stuff. Let's be fair and supportive with our scholarship student athletes, but let's be wise and wary as well. Go Gophers.

HA!

tj...when I was an undergrad, I was in a very private frat... Gamma Delta Iota.... GDI'S for short. Heard of that group?

I was a (PG version) Goll Darn Independent myself.:D

In Minnesota, here is what GDI means. Hear only in Minnesota. Everytime I hear someone say this it cracks me up.

GDI = Goll Dang It

Goll? What is that...what does it mean? Hilarious.

In Minnesota, here is what GDI means. Hear only in Minnesota. Everytime I hear someone say this it cracks me up.

GDI = Goll Dang It

Goll? What is that...what does it mean? Hilarious.

Where you from? I dont know what it means we just say it.

OK, I looked it because I thought it was spelled gall. Of course I'm right. And according to wiki it's simply a euphanism for God Damn. Like saying frikken instead of fucking, or shoot instead of shit. Although interestingly enough there is a word goll. It refers to a one eyed irishman, mostly of yore. the places a thread may take you....

Here is the Real MN GDI Stuff

OK, I looked it because I thought it was spelled gall. Of course I'm right. And according to wiki it's simply a euphanism for God Damn. Like saying frikken instead of fucking, or shoot instead of shit. Although interestingly enough there is a word goll. It refers to a one eyed irishman, mostly of yore. the places a thread may take you....

I have relatives who live in Central Minnesota. When I go up there, I just die laughing at these GDI statements:

GDI - gall dang it

or they just say: gall ( nothing but just gall...sometimes they drag it out gaaaal)

or they just say: gall dang

or another one is: what da heck

It absolutley puts me on the ground laughing. It has that real under hick, back woods, uneducated sound. But it is harmless and a real hoot to hear it.

someone wrote a good book in the early eighties about the unique sayings. I remember being in the service walking through the lunchline asking for a scoop of hot dish. the lady didn't have a clue, "there all hot, what you want". Asking for pop and getting a blank stare. "Gimme dat der thing-a-ma-jig would ya", "ya, I guess a guy could do that".

Did any see on the Scout.com boards that Kevin Whaley went up to a kid and punched him and then ran away and the kid was bleeding quite bad. I sure hope this is not true.

Nothing wrong with a little scrapping in practice. This ain't bean-bag!

"Kevin Whaley went up to a kid and punched him and then ran away" Sounds like a "chicken sht" little punk arse thug. If true, get him outa here so we don't have to deal with another "Brookhaven boys" mess.

Top Bottom