Kevin Noreen is headed to WVU

I've done the math - it comes out to somewhere between pathetic and horrible. But it was his 'lack of character' that led to his removal from Cinci.

Nancy Zimpher, the Cincinnati president at the time, cited his "lack of character" as a reason she wanted him out. During his Cincinnati tenure, several Bearcats found legal trouble, only 28 percent of his players graduated, and the program went on probation in 1998.

You certainly like Thuggins and WVa... Maybe you can suggest a 'Numb Nut' chant or sign for the students to use next year?

Look, he's a good coach and I don't dislike him like I did years ago... but, the fact of the matter is that West Virginia is not a very reputable academic institution - there is consensus on that - and the fact is Huggins has a poor track record when it comes to the academic 'achievements' of his players.

He had 84 lettermen at UC and 36 of them graduated from UC. On my calculator, that's about 43% but perhaps it's only 28% using Minnesota Math.

SoMpls, this post is from awhile back, obviously.

Kind of my point. They weren't really interested until after he de-committed from BC. Sounds like by then it was too late. If they wouldv'e showed the interest in him earlier like they're are with Moats now maybe he would be a Gopher. IMHO he'll be a better player then any of the Gophers 2010 recruits. I hope we're not going to go back to the Clem era where we don't take kids just because they're from MN.

He had 84 lettermen at UC and 36 of them graduated from UC. On my calculator, that's about 43% but perhaps it's only 28% using Minnesota Math.

If you're inferring that it is my math that is coming up with the 28%, you're wrong (not to mention my post-secondary education was not in the state of Minnesota)... take a break from your internet searches that include the word, 'NAMBLA' and try searching: "Huggins 27 of 95 28 percent". The 28% isn't Minnesota Math - it's a statistic provided by the University of Cincinnati.

Minor Contact With Tubby said:
He had graduated somewhere between 60% and 70% of his players in 28 years of coaching. Certainly above average for Div I head coaches.

60 to 70 percent as a D1 head coach, as you're suggesting, is inaccurate... I know you include guys that he coaches for one year as 'his players' when convenient, but maybe you'd including others... student trainer?.. ball boy? maybe a smart walk-on here and there?..., also, it's not 'certainly above average' for D1 head coaches, even in recent times:

The average four-year grad rate in men's basketball was 62%, or 16 points lower than the Division I average for all sports.

FOT:

It is amazing how you take facts and get yourself totally confused by them. Then you take a shot at MN math when trying to argue the strength of WVU academics. Really? You are so clueless it hurts to read your posts.

Kind of my point. They weren't really interested until after he de-committed from BC. Sounds like by then it was too late. If they wouldv'e showed the interest in him earlier like they're are with Moats now maybe he would be a Gopher. IMHO he'll be a better player then any of the Gophers 2010 recruits. I hope we're not going to go back to the Clem era where we don't take kids just because they're from MN.

haha really? Look I dont want to beat on the hometown kid, but he is way worse than advertised. He ruptured his spleen being defended by a guy who was 6'3 in the state finals. Very weak, and he wouldve redshirted, sat on the bench for 2 years, and ultimately replaced by better recruits in 2013 or 2014. Plus Hollins dropped 22 points last night, I doubt Noreen could've dropped 10, lets see him do better than that 2010 recruit.

There has to be the question asked even if it would piss some people off, Would Tubby of gone after Noreen if everything was the same with him BUT he was black instead of white. I honestly think there is no chance he wouldn't be a gopher right now if he wasn't white.

Neither Huggins nor Tubby have a clue who FOT is, yet he defends them like they're related.

There has to be the question asked even if it would piss some people off, Would Tubby of gone after Noreen if everything was the same with him BUT he was black instead of white. I honestly think there is no chance he wouldn't be a gopher right now if he wasn't white.

Epic fail.

You must be a fan of Hannity or Beck.

haha really? Look I dont want to beat on the hometown kid, but he is way worse than advertised. He ruptured his spleen being defended by a guy who was 6'3 in the state finals. Very weak, and he wouldve redshirted, sat on the bench for 2 years, and ultimately replaced by better recruits in 2013 or 2014. Plus Hollins dropped 22 points last night, I doubt Noreen could've dropped 10, lets see him do better than that 2010 recruit.

You sound very intelligent. The game when he reptured his spleen is the same game he won the state title if I'm not mistaking. What I do know is Moats lost in the first round of sections to Mpls Washburn who maybe had one kid 6'3 that received any playing time and he wasn't that good. Moats is a one-dimentional player that has no interest in playing the post. The state tournament game should show you the toughness of Noreen. As far as Hollins goes I hope he turns out to be great. But haven't head favorable reviews on the other freshman. Face it, you've fallin into the Noreen circle of hate. Luckly for him schools like BC, WV, Providence, Washington St., Northwestern, etc didn't.

Kevin Noreen makes it official for West Virginia
Power forward Kevin Noreen made his commitment official on Tuesday when the 6-foot-10 Minnesota native signed a grant-in-aid package for the 2010-11 school year, head coach Bob Huggins announced.

"We are really excited about getting a player of Kevin's caliber this late in the process," said Huggins. "Kevin is a multi-skilled player who will fit in our system extremely well. With our abundance of physical low post players, Kevin's skill set should prove very valuable for our team's future."

It will be fun to see how Noreen does. His prospect status was the the most divisive case I can remember for an in-state kid. I was in the don't offer him camp. He doesn't look athletic and he played for a strip mall school against mostly the sister's of the poor. I wish he would've attended DeLasalle if he didn't want to go the public schools route.

It's water under the bridge at this point and we'll see what side was right soon enough.

It will be fun to see how Noreen does. His prospect status was the the most divisive case I can remember for an in-state kid. I was in the don't offer him camp. He doesn't look athletic and he played for a strip mall school against mostly the sister's of the poor. I wish he would've attended DeLasalle if he didn't want to go the public schools route.

It's water under the bridge at this point and we'll see what side was right soon enough.

Did Butler look athletic? And why DeLaSalle? It's not like they player a tough schedule. I'm willing to bet that Transitions and DeLasalle's strength of schedule were closer then you think. I wish some of you people would let go of the past. He had a great senior season against quality competition. He's was offered by more then just WV and BC so other coaches took a liking to his overall skill-set. Not just how athletic he is or isn't. And the Gophers have a couple of stiffs of they're own.

Colt Iverson, Elliot Elliason and Oto Osenieks say hi....

Did Butler look athletic? And why DeLaSalle? It's not like they player a tough schedule. I'm willing to bet that Transitions and DeLasalle's strength of schedule were closer then you think. I wish some of you people would let go of the past. He had a great senior season against quality competition. He's was offered by more then just WV and BC so other coaches took a liking to his overall skill-set. Not just how athletic he is or isn't. And the Gophers have a couple of stiffs of they're own.

People...there is no right or wrong. Kevin is a good player. There are 100's of good players that don't get offers. If Noreen didn't want to play here or we didn't want him, who cares? There is no one player that is irreplaceable and certainly not Kevin Noreen. (Not to mention I'm guessing Kevin's dad was more offended than Kevin.)

I hope he does really well at WVU. It's a good program and I'm sure he'll do great. It'd be good for Minnesota basketball if he does well. Good luck to him but move on. This was not losing Cory Joseph or Kris Humphries or Rick Rickert type recruit.

People...there is no right or wrong. Kevin is a good player. There are 100's of good players that don't get offers. If Noreen didn't want to play here or we didn't want him, who cares? There is no one player that is irreplaceable and certainly not Kevin Noreen. (Not to mention I'm guessing Kevin's dad was more offended than Kevin.)

I hope he does really well at WVU. It's a good program and I'm sure he'll do great. It'd be good for Minnesota basketball if he does well. Good luck to him but move on. This was not losing Cory Joseph or Kris Humphries or Rick Rickert type recruit.

There is one player who cannot be replaced, I think you know who that is.

So do Blake, Stark, Halvorsen, Joel Esposito, and Ron Jirsa

Blake's a Monson recruit, and Stark and Halvorsen don't have scholarships, but it still proves Brew Recruit's statement to be ridiculous.

Blake's a Monson recruit, and Stark and Halvorsen don't have scholarships, but it still proves Brew Recruit's statement to be ridiculous.

I think it has more to do with being a MN recruit. Another player I would've liked to see is Godfrey. If Mbakwe doesn't play I think Godfrey is going to be another regrettable miss.

I think it has more to do with being a MN recruit. Another player I would've liked to see is Godfrey. If Mbakwe doesn't play I think Godfrey is going to be another regrettable miss.

Dear Lord dude, no other school in the country (outside ISU at the very end when they lost half their team) wanted Godfrey. I suppose in two years when he's not even in school, you'll come back and say you were wrong. :cool:

Have you ever watched any of these kids play? I'm seriously curious.

You are completely missing the point I was responding to. Read Brew Recruit's post, he said Noreen didn't get a scholarship offer because he was white. We were naming all the current white athletes on the team.

Noreen: This from Andy Katz's daily blog.

"West Virginia may have picked up a coup in nabbing 6-foot-10 Kevin Noreen. The one-time Boston College signee was supposed to be the catch of the class for the Eagles. If Noreen can be a stretch-4 as he was projected for BC, he could help the Mountaineers immensely next season."

Huggins

He's had some success with tall shooters like Noreen.

Joe Alexander (recently) at WVU. And Ryan Fletcher (late 1990's) at Cincinnati.

I'd think Noreen will spend more time in weight room during 2010-11 than PT on the court.

You are completely missing the point I was responding to. Read Brew Recruit's post, he said Noreen didn't get a scholarship offer because he was white. We were naming all the current white athletes on the team.

I caught it. I was saying I don't think it has anything to do with being white, it has more to do with him being from MN. If he was from SD or NE he'd have a scholarship offer from the Gophers IMO.

Top Bottom