Kerwin Walton enters transfer portal

Texas Tech lost Shannon and McCullar. That would be a challenging landing spot for him since they play very strong defense.
I think TT’s interest should dampen the rhetoric that he’s hopeless on defense, but i agree it could be challenging for him (for most!). It could be a Marcus Carr situation where he’s being told he has to prove it on defense to get a sniff at the next level.

I've driven through Lubbock Texas, hard to imagine convincing someone that is a good place to spend any length of time... Only thing I can imagine is some NIL on the line.
Yeah—I have a couple customers out there. Not my idea of a place I’d want to spend any time on purpose.

He can defend bigger wings. His issue is when he has to guard your prototypical “2”. He wasn’t quick enough and got killed on ball screens
Fair. Feel like he could have found some big wings to defend in the B1G but maybe he wasn’t interested so the gophers didn’t pursue.

I don't know how he does it but Texas Tech had like 9 incoming transfers last year with Beard and players leaving. Bunch of excellent incoming players again this year. I would doubt the NIL angle.
Coach does recruit 13 guys and rotate them all onto the court. 13 guys played 7 or more minutes per game. They finished third in the conference. So, not everybody recruits 9 and plays 7.
Several successful teams go this route. Houston and Saint Peters were two more.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2641
Walton will play.

I don't know how he does it but Texas Tech had like 9 incoming transfers last year with Beard and players leaving. Bunch of excellent incoming players again this year. I would doubt the NIL angle.
Coach does recruit 13 guys and rotate them all onto the court. 13 guys played 7 or more minutes per game. They finished third in the conference. So, not everybody recruits 9 and plays 7.
Walton will play.
Walton will play but his choices included schools that offered playing time and NIL money. Those were the two priorities.

As far as rotations and players, TT played 9 guys most games until things got out of hand. The reason so many guys had an average of 7 mins was skewed because of covid and injuries. TT also has some pretty low academic standards and can get pretty much anyone in.

Fair. Feel like he could have found some big wings to defend in the B1G but maybe he wasn’t interested so the gophers didn’t pursue.
Agreed, but I think it would’ve been tough defensively with Garcia and Battle playing 30 plus a night. Our situation probably wasn’t very attractive to him.

Yeah—I have a couple customers out there. Not my idea of a place I’d want to spend any time on purpose.
I lived in Wyoming for several years in my 20's. Interestingly, a couple of things that I found frustrating about the area (miles of isolation, ect.) were the exact things that long-time residents loved about it. I mentioned to a friend, "There are times you can drive for almost an hour and not see another vehicle". He was like, "Yeah, ain't it great?!". "Sure, unless you're broke down and a storm's coming! (pre-cellphone days)

Bummer. But if there wasn't a fit....what can you do? Garcia was a more important get.

Walton will play.
In reality they are just like most if you actually look at the stats. They had 37 games. They had five guys play in all 37 games. They had another three who played in 302 or more games, and one who played in 29 games. They had five who played 25 minutes or more, one who played more than 20 minutes, and three who played 14-15 minutes. They had a primary rotation of six guys, and three more who played 14-15 minutes. It was 6 with the most minutes by far consistently, and another three who played some minutes.

That's what Ben is looking at for next year, probably giving the bulk of minutes to 7-9 guys, just like most programs, with another couple of guys for depth. If he found a 12 or 13 with potential and who were willing to come in and never get any minutes, he would take them. A guy good enough to get meaningful, productive minutes at a mid-major won't come and sit on the bench as a 12/13 and be happy.

yikes... and now he has to sit a year if he wants to get out again!

View attachment 22151
He lost the ability to shoot and unlike Gabe, the rest of his game doesn't justify the minutes. Gabe is a darn good defensive player and an ok ball handler, so he sees minutes.

Walton, if he isn't shooting, he isn't helping.

He lost the ability to shoot and unlike Gabe, the rest of his game doesn't justify the minutes. Gabe is a darn good defensive player and an ok ball handler, so he sees minutes.

Walto
, if he isn't shooting, he isn't helping.
Walton was always a very robotic player who didn’t have a natural flow to his game. He is not a natural basketball player and now two programs have caught on…I assume two more programs will learn that lesson the hard way.

Top Bottom