Kerwin Walton enters transfer portal

Sounds like Doogie suggesting that it’s a mutually unfit. (Perhaps NIL related too?)
Despite the fact that we don't have a big NIL program here yet, I actually think his best NIL opportunity may be back here in Minnesota. He is not a big name anywhere else at this point.

Ben Carlson was a higher rated prospect than Walton, and played more down the stretch for the Big Ten Champions than Walton did at UNC. Does anyone think he's more than a bench player at a P5 program? I don't.

I do.

Ben Carlson was a higher rated prospect than Walton, and played more down the stretch for the Big Ten Champions than Walton did at UNC. Does anyone think he's more than a bench player at a P5 program? I don't.

If you go by 247's ratings ( https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=MN ), they both had a 92 4* rating, with Walton listed above Carlson. #108 in the nation overall vs #115.

That doesn't refute your point in the slightest, just sayin. I have no idea where the threshold is of "after X top in the nation, you really have no idea who is really better than who". Maybe it's top 100.

Who did Ben actually comment to about Walton? Would he or can he comment about someone on another team? Who at the time was not even in the portal? Just curious

20+ minutes a game easy.. Coach Smith doesn’t make a personal visit to Madison if there ain’t a chance to start..

Well, in 2 years Carlson got 0 starts and played 9 min a game and was under 2 ppg. By just numbers Walton play and scored more this year. If you go back 1 year, Walton started 20 games, played 21mpg and shot 53% from the floor and 42% from 3. Seems pretty stupid to say Walton is trash but somehow Carlson is a stud

Well, in 2 years Carlson got 0 starts and played 9 min a game and was under 2 ppg. By just numbers Walton play and scored more this year. If you go back 1 year, Walton started 20 games, played 21mpg and shot 53% from the floor and 42% from 3. Seems pretty stupid to say Walton is trash but somehow Carlson is a stud

That's not even remotely close to what I said...

Are you serious? Walton started for UNC his freshman year. Played way more than Ben l, scores way more then Ben and was a contributor where Ben was not. He then lost playing time to some amazing players on the team that was in the national championship game. Coaching change there had a lot to do with it too. I think he would come and be a huge contributor for the gophers.

I have no idea why we wouldn't want Kerwin. Makes too much sense for him to come in and fill that final starting spot.

I am just hoping we could get either him or Jones at this point (or some sort of starting caliber guard). I am not too confident in that right now.

People who want to pass on Walton are crazy. There is no world where he isn’t at a minimum a bench contributor. Look at our guard rotation, we need at least one more big ten level player. Did last year teach people nothing? Being thin at positions will kill you in the big ten. It was a big problem for Pitino as well.

Are you serious? Walton started for UNC his freshman year. Played way more than Ben l, scores way more then Ben and was a contributor where Ben was not. He then lost playing time to some amazing players on the team that was in the national championship game. Coaching change there had a lot to do with it too. I think he would come and be a huge contributor for the gophers.
I said down the stretch this season. I wasn't talking about last season. Carlson still played meaningful minutes down the stretch this season while Walton didn't play at all.

Everyone is so hung up on what Walton did on a very mediocre team his freshman season. He regressed this season and was passed by RJ Davis and Puff Johnson. Puff barely played last season, by your logic Walton is still better than him. Over the last two seasons UNC was 12-9 with Walton as a starter, 35-12 when he didn't start.

I don't think Walton or Carlson are starters on good power conference teams. They could be starters on bad power conference teams or lower level teams. Carlson will likely be the backup to Branden Carlson at Utah. If he starts, I don't think that bodes well for Utah.

Time will tell with Walton. He's a one trick pony, and his one trick wasn't very good this season. I don't have any issue with him being a bench/rotation player who can knock down a few shots. If he's starting and playing big minutes on your team, it's likely because you're not very good.

Last edited:

I said down the stretch this season. I wasn't talking about last season. Carlson still played meaningful minutes down the stretch this season while Walton didn't play at all.

Everyone is so hung up on what Walton did on a very mediocre team his freshman season. He regressed this season and was passed by RJ Davis and Puff Johnson. Puff barely played last season, by your logic Walton is still better than him. Over the last two seasons UNC was 12-9 with Walton as a starter, 35-12 when he didn't start.

I don't think Walton or Carlson are starters on good power conference teams. They could be starters on bad power conference teams or lower level teams. Carlson will likely be the backup to Branden Carlson at Utah. If he starts, I don't think that bodes well for Utah.

Time will tell with Walton. He's a one trick pony, and his one trick wasn't very good this season. I don't have any issue with him being a bench/rotation player who can knock down a few shots. If he's starting and playing big minutes on your team, it's likely because you're not very good.
The thing is...if he's not starting and playing big minutes for the Gophers this fall, somebody worse IS.

It's not that I'd pass on him. However every report that has him and the gophers linking up just say don't expect it to happen or it ain't happening...

People thinking Walton wouldn’t be a starter for a good P5 team arent being honest about the fact that the Gophers are not a good P5 team and haven’t been for a few years—or more.
Exactly, does everyone realize we are that bad P5 program right now? Finishing last in the B1G with nowhere to go but up.

People thinking Walton wouldn’t be a starter for a good P5 team arent being honest about the fact that the Gophers are not a good P5 team and haven’t been for a few years—or more.

So you would rather continue to have the Gophers be a bad team?

Walton would fill a huge hole on this team and would make the Gophers instantly better. As a starter or off the bench, Walton is a proven talent at a position of need. At 6’5”, the length on the roster would be exciting.

I want to take Walton, if he would come. That said, I also want to be picky about getting a really good SG at this point. If we get a very good player, we will be a good P5 team. So, if the coaches don't see Walton as an upgrade over Carrington and/or Henley, then pass on him and let the young guys play. If Walton is the guy that brings the team up or some other SG is that guy, then grab him.
Ben has a lot to sell here now that he has Garcia in the fold. This isn't like last year.

Not very many are disagreeing with you... But again, As stated by James, doogie and whoever else.. coach has stated he doesnt see it as a good fit between player and program. At the end of the day... That's all that matters
Not much being mentioned about him heading in this direction, with the NBA evaluation it is going to be a month anyway but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

Top Bottom