Kerwin Walton enters transfer portal

Who knows how this will all shake out but I would defy anyone to not be excited about the prospects of a starting 5 featuring Cooper, Walton, Battle, Garcia, and Fox. That would be a massive upgrade over the starting lineup this past season and the potential would be there for that to be a really fun group.

Doogie has been pretty plugged in with Ben since he was hired. Ryan James has also stated that Walton would not be high on Ben's list if he entered the portal.
That may be so, but those opinions probably came earlier in the off-season when more alternatives were possible (and thiam was still on the roster). Honestly, if Walton is interested in coming home it would be malpractice to simply discard him at this point given how good of a shooter he has shown that he is. Not saying BJ should blindly give him a spot, but he’s gotta consider him based on now the dominos have fallen.

That may be so, but those opinions probably came earlier in the off-season when more alternatives were possible (and thiam was still on the roster). Honestly, if Walton is interested in coming home it would be malpractice to simply discard him at this point given how good of a shooter he has shown that he is. Not saying BJ should blindly give him a spot, but he’s gotta consider him based on now the dominos have fallen.
Sounds like Doogie suggesting that it’s a mutually unfit. (Perhaps NIL related too?)

Sounds like Doogie suggesting that it’s a mutually unfit. (Perhaps NIL related too?)
I don’t know much about Walton other than reading here and UNC thread. The description of his limits on the defensive end would suggest he wouldn’t fit into Ben’s basic criteria.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Ben didn’t give that info to Doogie just to temper expectations (meaning Due diligence has already been completed).

I feel bad for lil Pitino in New Mexico cuz all of these mn kids hated him and will not choose NM.
I don’t feel bad for him. It was literally his job to recruit them to play here and he wasn’t able to. Guessing at least partly his fault.

I don’t know much about Walton other than reading here and UNC thread. The description of his limits on the defensive end would suggest he wouldn’t fit into Ben’s basic criteria.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Ben didn’t give that info to Doogie just to temper expectations (meaning Due diligence has already been completed).
He’s probably looking for a big role, and maybe that’s something BJ cannot guarantee because of the defense, however, IMO you can never have too many shooters. You can always find somewhere on the roster for that skill.

He’s probably looking for a big role, and maybe that’s something BJ cannot guarantee because of the defense, however, IMO you can never have too many shooters. You can always find somewhere on the roster for that skill.
I trust that Ben and Thorson could coax him into playing some defense. With the limited options out there and the lack of backcourt depth and with his shooting prowess this seems like a nice fit to me.

RJ's comments were similar and he said that about a week and a half ago. I am not impressed with the current guard situation and who is rumored to still be interested. Based on that I have warmed to taking Walton.

But I don't think Walton will ever be more than a spot shooter off the bench for a quality P5 program. He's not a good ball handler or defender. We'll see how it plays out.

Come on home. He can play defense, we saw it in high school and aau. It's up to him if he wants to play defense. Call.me crazy I see him getting minutes in the nba today, the potential is there

The Gophers are not in a position to not be begging Walton to join the team.
Maybe he doesn't want to come home, but the idea we don't need this level of player is preposterous.

RJ's comments were similar and he said that about a week and a half ago. I am not impressed with the current guard situation and who is rumored to still be interested. Based on that I have warmed to taking Walton.

But I don't think Walton will ever be more than a spot shooter off the bench for a quality P5 program. He's not a good ball handler or defender. We'll see how it plays out.
That seems kinda crazy if it's true for the 14th best SG in the entire nation in his class:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-B...ings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=SG

The Gophers are not in a position to not be begging Walton to join the team.
Maybe he doesn't want to come home, but the idea we don't need this level of player is preposterous.
I have to think, at a very minimum, Garcia is all over him with "dude, let's gooo!!".

If it's not meant to be, so be it.

That seems kinda crazy if it's true for the 14th best SG in the entire nation in his class:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-B...ings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=SG

Ben Carlson was a higher rated prospect than Walton, and played more down the stretch for the Big Ten Champions than Walton did at UNC. Does anyone think he's more than a bench player at a P5 program? I don't.

Top Bottom