Keonte Schad has Entered the Transfer Portal

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
I was excited for Schad when he committed here, but he didn't quite make the impact that I was hoping for. This is not surprising to me considering our increased depth at DT. Good luck Keonte.

Yep not a surprise as at with the depth we now have. Sounds like he is down the depth chart a ways.

That's too bad, but yes, with the influx of talent we've gotten, it doesn't surprise me.

Wow, when's the last time we we're not bummed about a losing a former top 25 JUCO player?

We've come a long way baby.

That's too bad, but yes, with the influx of talent we've gotten, it doesn't surprise me.

Wow, when's the last time we we're not bummed about a losing a former top 25 JUCO player?

JUCO talent cones and goes kinda wildly, one year a JUCO guy is great, the next a guy ranked in the same spot.....not so gud.

Should be plenty of playing time for all of the based on rotating in and out regularly. Too bad.

I think it was here that I read that it is not uncommon for guys to decide to transfer right after spring practice. Best of luck to him.

I suspect this means that Pickney and Martin, transfers, moved ahead of him. And Cheney, Carter, and perhaps Richter and Eastern are going to play. Wonder if MDT, in year seven, will move on??

Pinckney is here for one year. MDT should stick around.

The fish aren't biting with Schad, but they'll love a Pinckney pickle.

Schad is a "victim" of out recruiting. The Gophers aren't satisfied until they improve their roster even more. In a way, the Transfer Portal is a bonanza for PJ Fleck. He can sell Paul Bunyan's old rundown shoes. Recruits will buy it sight unseen.

Pinckney, Martin, MDT, Carter, Chaney are all ahead of him. I think Easton will play some Dend as well.

This disappoints me, I think he's pretty solid.
He was solid, but he wasn't a game changer. The fact that he has by all accounts been passed on the depth chart should be seen as a good thing not a bad one. If the new faces and up and comers are out playing him then that can only be a positive for the defense heading into next year.

If Schad wants to try and find a spot where he can be the guy for his final year as opposed to being part of what looks like a pretty deep rotation, it is tough to fault him for that.

I read someplace that PJ Fleck had used his connections to find landing spots for his former players after they declared their intentions to transfer. He is in no way obligated to do so. His caring for the well being of his players doesn't stop. I wonder if this would be the case here, or if it is much tougher to find a landing spot due to the influences of the Pandemic in recruiting. The huge number of players in the portal may make it harder to find a spot.

Last edited:

I read someplace that PJ Fleck had used his connections to find landing spots for his former players after they declared their intentions to transfer. He is in no way obligated to do so. His caring for the well being of his players doesn't stop. I wonder if this would be the case here, or if it is much tougher to find a landing spot due to the influences of the Pandemic in recruiting. The huge number of players in the portal may make it harder to find a spot.
In this year's transfer climate, PJ's caring and connections are definitely a plus and will give Schad a better chance than those may not have the same support from the coach. Schad was also a very positive presence in the community with high character. Coaches that have a need will be lucky to have them as part of their program.

You know, this makes you think about how far we've come from a talent perspective.

In the kill era, I can't remember of a transfer staying in Power 5.

So far we have Tank who went to MSU and now Schad to Pac-12.

It weirdly feels good
A. Who cares?

B. Connor Mayes and Tyler Moore, at least.

Corvallis kind of sucks but good place for him to showcase his abilities.

Bummer for him. An extra year of college football experience would have been nice for him.

Didn't they have their bowl game last night so he just finished his 1 year he knew he had when he transferred?

Rankings are painfully subjective. A top 25 guy that couldn’t break Minnesota’s top 22.

Top Bottom