Ken Evans Jr. campaign thread!

And sane if Garcia is our wing .. we're fucked ..
He doesn't look like an NBA power forward, but he has perimeter shooting skills which may translate to an NBA wing.
Choosing a wing between Garcia, Fox, Big Mitchell or Edmonds, I think Garcia is the best choice. The other three need to be near the basket to utilize their offensive skills.
[/QUOTE]
Choosing a wing between Shaq, Kareem, Bill Russell or Moses Malone, I think Russell would have been the best choice.

He figured it out last season until JOJ and Carrington got their feelings hurt and quit!

He figured it out last season until JOJ and Carrington got their feelings hurt and quit!
Ahh yes beating up on the bottom 3-4 teams in the B1G is figuring it out....

You have very low standards

That's CBJ job.....

But again... In his entire coaching/playing career he never figured that out
Yes he did figure it out. He assembled a team all by himself with absolutely no money or advantages. Got to 9-11 in conference with no seniors and rapidly improving.

But a year later after he assembled this team...we still decided that we still wouldn't pay anyone. So now we do it all over again from scratch.

If we had paid to keep everyone Ben would get all the credit in his mind. NIL would never even be brought up.
I was hoping that we'd make a competitive ballpark offer to at least keep our team.

No, we're not a big program that's going to go out and buy already-good players. But I was hoping that we wouldn't officially become a farm-team.

while we wait for news on Evans (247 does not have a Crystal Ball prediction for him yet)

on Garcia - he is not a wing. he is a PF who has enough mobility and shooting range to play outside in certain sets and matchups. He also has enough size to move to the post in certain sets and matchups.

while we wait for news on Evans (247 does not have a Crystal Ball prediction for him yet)

on Garcia - he is not a wing. he is a PF who has enough mobility and shooting range to play outside in certain sets and matchups. He also has enough size to move to the post in certain sets and matchups.
I agree, but if our second wing has to be either Mike Mitchell or Dawson Garcia, I'm not picking Midget Mitchell.

I mean if it didn't blatantly all become solely about money.

Ben put together a team all by himself. Without any money. Without any advantages like the winning schools have. He found guys that over-performed like Hawkins & Christie. MN guys Payne & Garcia stayed/returned home and developed. He found Mitchell & Fox. Great improvement with no seniors.
A lot of teams and coaches did that. And some even made the NCAA tournament.

I decided to read one of Pilgrim's posts...is he pretending that the players CBJ brought in last year didn't get paid? Is he actually doing what I joked he would do and giving all the success to CBJ and then blaming everything bad on NIL? That is hilarious!
I said all along, for 3 years...that I was hoping we'd be good when our first recruits (Payne) were upperclassmen. Which would have been next year.

So yeah, after all that time waiting...it's disappointing to have it all implode due to officially becoming a farm-team this offseason.

Payne, Hawkins, & Christie didn't command money when we got them.

I said all along, for 3 years...that I was hoping we'd be good when our first recruits (Payne) were upperclassmen. Which would have been next year.

So yeah, after all that time waiting...it's disappointing to have it all implode due to officially becoming a farm-team this offseason.

Payne, Hawkins, & Christie didn't command money when we got them.

Christie left for the NBA. I'm not sure why you keep insisting we lost him for "money"

Well, technically we did. Just not to another school

He keeps lumping Christie in with Payne and Hawkins. It's dumb. If he sneaks into the late first round, he's gonna get $12 million+ guaranteed. Even an early second round pick he's gonna get between $7-$8 million. I've never heard anyone say, when losing a player to the NBA, we lost him because of money.

I agree, but if our second wing has to be either Mike Mitchell or Dawson Garcia, I'm not picking Midget Mitchell.
Any updates on Glenn Evans Jr? I would like him to slot in between Garcia and Mitchell

He keeps lumping Christie in with Payne and Hawkins. It's dumb. If he sneaks into the late first round, he's gonna get $12 million+ guaranteed. Even an early second round pick he's gonna get between $7-$8 million. I've never heard anyone say, when losing a player to the NBA, we lost him because of money.
Christie also entered the transfer portal. And we wouldn't have made a competitive offer keep him. We didn't go out and sign a high-priced replacement.

What's dumb is your continual heaping of all the blame on Coach Johnson.

Christie also entered the transfer portal. And we wouldn't have made a competitive offer keep him. We didn't go out and sign a high-priced replacement.

What's dumb is your continual heaping of all the blame on Coach Johnson.
The coaches job is to take a roster and make it perform to its absolute best day in and day out.. Ben had what was IMHO a NCAA tourney roster last season... Outside of one stretch this roster under performed and from the onset of the season was poorly utilized. Some players (Hawkins) the main driving factor for leaving could of been money, or he could of seen it imploding with Joj, Payne, Carrington all leaving and decided it was in his best interest for his final year of college ball to go find a place where he had a shot at winning..

Not putting players in positions to maximize potential and abilities lies squarely on the shoulders of the coach...

Not being able to land quality replacements doesn't land squarely on CBJ. We also never went after higher profile players maybe because we didn't have the money, or maybe those recruits flat out said no thank you I'm not playing for you when we sent out feelers....

We will never know

The coaches job is to take a roster and make it perform to its absolute best day in and day out.. Ben had what was IMHO a NCAA tourney roster last season... Outside of one stretch this roster under performed and from the onset of the season was poorly utilized. Some players (Hawkins) the main driving factor for leaving could of been money, or he could of seen it imploding with Joj, Payne, Carrington all leaving and decided it was in his best interest for his final year of college ball to go find a place where he had a shot at winning..

Not putting players in positions to maximize potential and abilities lies squarely on the shoulders of the coach...

Not being able to land quality replacements doesn't land squarely on CBJ. We also never went after higher profile players maybe because we didn't have the money, or maybe those recruits flat out said no thank you I'm not playing for you when we sent out feelers....

We will never know
Yes...most fans will continue to put all the blame on the coach...no matter what.

He can assemble a cheap fast-improving team with no seniors...they can all improve to being worth $500K+ in 1 year...and all leave because we're a farm-team. But fans will still say "We don't know what really happened" and pin all the blame on the coach.

That's a must to add to our growing cliché list.

We don't know what really happened.

Yes...most fans will continue to put all the blame on the coach...no matter what.

He can assemble a cheap fast-improving team with no seniors...they can all improve to being worth $500K+ in 1 year...and all leave because we're a farm-team. But fans will still say "We don't know what really happened" and pin all the blame on the coach.
In college sports the head coach has the most power of any position in sports. Thry decide who to target, recruit them and coach them up. If they fail, they have no one to blame but themselves.

No the playing field is not even. That only matters if the AD/fan base have unreasonable expectations. That is not the case here. This is not Nebraska football or Kentucky basketball. No one is demanding conference titles or Final Fours. We are asking for a competitive team and an NCAA bid maybe half of the time. A competent coach can achieve that at Minnesota, difficulties and all. Ben has failed to do that and there's no reason to think that's going to change.

No amount of crying about how good you THINK running back last year's tenth place team would have been matters. The odds of everyone returning were always low.

In college sports the head coach has the most power of any position in sports. Thry decide who to target, recruit them and coach them up. If they fail, they have no one to blame but themselves.

No the playing field is not even. That only matters if the AD/fan base have unreasonable expectations. That is not the case here. This is not Nebraska football or Kentucky basketball. No one is demanding conference titles or Final Fours. We are asking for a competitive team and an NCAA bid maybe half of the time. A competent coach can achieve that at Minnesota, difficulties and all. Ben has failed to do that and there's no reason to think that's going to change.

No amount of crying about how good you THINK running back last year's tenth place team would have been matters. The odds of everyone returning were always low.
Lou Holtz only lasted 2 years here before he was ran out of town amid scandal. And he finished in 8th place and 6th place...out of 10.

So according to YOUR words, not mine...he's a failure.

Last edited:

Lou Holtz only lasted 2 years here before he was ran out of town amid scandal. And he finished in 8th place and 6th place...out of 10.

And what does this have to do with Ken Evans Junior not becoming a Gopher

He wasn't run out of town and he wasn't a failure. Ben is a massive failure so far. Maybe he will pull off a miracle this year. If you can't see the difference between Lou Holtz and Ben Johnson as coaches, you're beyond help.

I'm starting to think they are done adding players and that Garcia may be the wild card at wing.
Frank Mitchell and Fox in the front court;
backed up by Edmonds and Garcia.
Odukale and Garcia at big wings.
Mike Mitchell, Williams and Rigsby at small wings.
Patterson and eventually Asuma at PG.
Zero chance. None.

He wasn't run out of town and he wasn't a failure. Ben is a massive failure so far. Maybe he will pull off a miracle this year. If you can't see the difference between Lou Holtz and Ben Johnson as coaches, you're beyond help.
Yes he was run out of town. Our administration accused him (& bagman Luther Darville) of paying players. This is a fact. Not an opinion.

And you're beyond help if you still put the blame on the coach after what just happened to our team. And the circumstances Ben has been under from the start.

Comparing a college football hof coach to CBJ
You'd be calling every HOF coach a failure if they had to coach a farm-team.

Top Bottom