Keaton Grant 3 pointer

EG#9

Reaction score
I apologize if there has been a discussion on this, but Grant's 3 with 1:24 left was a killer. That shot goes in MAYBE 1 out of 10 times. Grant clearly altered his shot to get it over Sampson and the thing looked ugly. Gophers get the rebound there and are up 4 with about 1:20 left with the ball.

I see that there is a thread on Iverson (his missed bunny was the very next possession), but I thought he played well most of the night. The real unfortunate aspect of him missing that bunny was that it triggered a break for an easy layup...complete bad luck and a 4 point swing there.

If bad breaks/heartbreaks/luck truly even out over the course of time, Gopher fans have banked up a lot of equity in the past two decades.

I thought he had gotten a peice of that shot. I couldn't believe it fell either.

The killer is that Grant entered the game as a 25% 3pt shooter on the season. He had been benched, was not starting. He was told only to shoot when wide open. Yet, he goes out and does that against us tonight. That is a killer.

Not unlike Michigan who shot 12-for-24 in 3pt against us (only game this year they shot over 41%). Last night they had all kinds of open 3pt shots against Illinois and went 6-for-31 (19%).

For whatever reason, we have some bad luck.

That isn't necessarily lucky. He has that in his arsenal. He was actually a 3pt shooter in high school. That part of his game will develop.

That's why he didn't have a single 3 pointer in his college career until tonight.

Look, RS3 made the shot, good for him, but Keaton Grant htting an open 3 is not newsworthy. Check out his last 2 games.

That's why he didn't have a single 3 pointer in his college career until tonight.

Look, RS3 made the shot, good for him, but Keaton Grant htting an open 3 is not newsworthy. Check out his last 2 games.
Hey - its a MN board - I'm not about to check it out. But check out RSIII's 3 point shooting percentage - not many centers bother practicing this shot.

It's not that Grant hit a 3, it's that he hit THAT 3. He was clearly bothered by Sampson and altered 3 point jumpers don't go in very often.

Against us, Michigan made 7 out of 14 from behind the arc.

It was definitely a very tough shot, but I'm not sure if he "altered" it. As soon as he released, I thought it was in.

Are you really comparing those shots? Sampson's shot was during the middle of the game. Grant isn't the greatest shooter and his came at the very end to take the lead. Were you really not surprised when he pumpfaked and stepped just inside the 3 and made it with 2 hands in his face?

Not as lucky as RS3 hitting a trey.

That isn't necessarily lucky. He has that in his arsenal. He was actually a 3pt shooter in high school. That part of his game will develop.

RSIII talked about it during the postgame. You are right, there was no luck involved there. The kid can shoot from three. He needs to do it more often, it could certainly give us another dimension offensively.

I think the Purdue folks need to go back to their own board.

Back to the point of the post, yes it looked like a very tough shot. I'm surprised he hit it.

Grant has kind of an ugly looking release, period. I'm not sure that he really altered that shot more than any of his other shots.

I have no idea what his % is, but as someone seeing him play for the first time last night, he does not look like a natural jump shooter.

He is a senior, though, and last night was the difference between a team of jrs and srs that are having a good season and believe they will win, and a young team that has been snakebitten and is hoping to win.

It was definitely a very tough shot, but I'm not sure if he "altered" it. As soon as he released, I thought it was in.

I thought it was in too. Not for the fact that he's deadly beyond the arc, but because we are the gophers and we were up with under 2 minutes left against a good team. That's why I thought it was in for sure :rolleyes:

And on another note, RSIII's three pointer was way more open of a look than Grant's three pointer...

I rewatched the game last night. I didn't see anything off about the 3. I wasn't surprised at all it went in. However, Grant's two pointer to win the game was MUCH more difficult than I remembered. I cannot believe he made that. Joseph's shot was a layup compared to Grant's. He made, we missed. There's the game.

Top Bottom