Keanon Cooper, Brewster's best recruit?

EE_Gopher

Reaction score
The 4 star recruit blocked the punt Saturday and broke up the 4th down play down field against Michigan State. He was also the one that partially blocked the punt against Wisconsin.

This is definitely someone not coming to Minnesota in the Mason era.

I think as of now, he's proven to be the best of the bunch so far. He just seems to make plays all over the field. Love watching him play. Funny that he was a last minute switch too.

Awesome name...I'm one too.

'95
EE

Good post...I agree. MG hasn't quite made enough plays to be listed as such.

Edwards looks to be a great one too.

I like what I'm seeing so far. He's got a ton of talent.

On the Grandpa Sports and Homer Mona show yesterday, Brewster said that Keanon told him he was going to block the punt before he ran out on the field.

Wow...that is what we want...is guys that make things like that happen...they are THAT good.

Hopefully MG and Edwards and others are that way too.

Here is how I break down Brew's recruits based on their contributions so far:

Impact players (Players who have played a lot and made an impact on the outcome of games)

Stoudermire
Lawrence
Simmons
Theret

Contributors (Have played a significant amount, mostly in backup or special teams roles to this point)

Cooper
Edwards
Eskridge
Green
McKinley
Kirksey
Whaley
Wills

Show promise (Have played some but not a lot, should be big contributors in the near future)

Gray
McKnight
Tinsley
Allen
Carter

Again, this is just my opinion as to how they have played so far. Looking forward, I do think that Cooper could be the best of this group very soon.

Here is how I break down Brew's recruits based on their contributions so far:

Impact players (Players who have played a lot and made an impact on the outcome of games)

Theret

Are you talking positive impact?

love watching cooper. him and lawrence are my favorite players to watch.

but coop could definitely turn into one of the better LBers the gophers have ever seen. he is a sure tackler, and his motor is always churning. he is playing at the weight that simoni lawrence was playing at in his junior year. so i wouldn't be surprised to see him come in weighing above 220 next year, and if it is in his best interests to bulk up and keep his speed--or most of his speed--scary good.

naming names

the problem with naming names you tend to leave people out.. i think as a group the 08 class has come up with big plays.....especially those who have limited opportunity..... when a kid is on the field most of the time they have more chances to make plays and that is great.... but we also have kids that come up big when it is time for them to get their shot...

the problem with naming names you tend to leave people out.. i think as a group the 08 class has come up with big plays.....especially those who have limited opportunity..... when a kid is on the field most of the time they have more chances to make plays and that is great.... but we also have kids that come up big when it is time for them to get their shot...

Just curious...Which kids do you think will be impact players in this class? I'm still expecting exciting things out of a number of them for next year.

08' class
Xzavian Brandon WR Hurt this year medical RS
Keanon Cooper DB Star in the making, makes plays with speed, instincts
Tim Dandridge DB Has played backup roles, should see more time next year
Jewhan Edwards DT Should start, has been solid in rotation
Deleon Eskridge RB Solid RB, platoon guy
Ryan Grant LB Special teamer, in mix for LB next year
MarQueis Gray QB Great playmaker, offseason should improve passing, QB battle in '10
Brandon Green WR Starter, good hands, shown flashes
Johnny Johnson DB Special teamer, gunner
Brandon Kirksey DT Starter next year, great in rotation
Eric Lair TE Has played, hope for improvement, should be candidate for starting
Sam Maresh LB Big guy, all reports seem to say he's finally healthy
Da'Jon McKnight WR Decker Light:) Shown he belongs and then some, redzone target
Spencer Reeves LB Special teamer, brings speed to equation, might start in '10
Shady Salamon RB Contributor turned special teamer, position switch possible
Troy Stoudermire WR Spectacular KR, great speed, route running/hands work in progress
Gary Tinsley LB Has made some plays, should be potential starter, big, fast
Kevin Whaley RB Jitterbug with strength, can't wait to see him around 190
D.L. Wilhite DE Speedy DE, offseason will help with strength, good bet to start in'10

All in all, pretty good contributions from the 08' class, right now alot of role players/rotation guys/special teamers, but pretty good for freshmen/sophmores
Bold are potential starters next year

Ole
Great analysis!!
What about the 09 class? 10?
Most coveted uncommitted recruit that we have a realistic chance of signing?

Well McKnight will be dangerous if he can learn to catch the ball. He had so many drops it was painful to watch in the Illinois game.

Moses Alipate QB Big boy, big arm. Expect to develop a few more seasons
Bryant Allen WR Speed to burn, moves, maturity, needs to hit the weights and learn
Josh Campion OL Greyshirt, hope his back is ok, Will RS til 2011
Hayo Carpenter WR Disappointing so far, needs to show something or he'll be passed up
Michael Carter CB Great skills, needs some weight, should start '10
Matt Garin DE Great getoff, very quick off the ball. Get to 240 and he'll be a player
Kendall Gregory-McGheeDE Big frame, strong kid, good bloodlines. Should compete for PT '10
Ra'shede HagemanTE/DE Huge and strong, needs to develop DL techniques, Redzone TE
Eric Jacques DT Big kid, don't know much about him
Victor Keise WR Great body control, hands. I'd expect him to contribute in '10
Kerry Lewis DB I thought he'd play this year on Special Teams, fast with hitting ability, needs to get bigger
Hasan Lipscomb RB JUCO 2011 recruit, hope he honors his word, great talent
Brooks Michel OT BIG kid. Darkhorse for starter in '10 at OT, strongest freshman
Ed Olson OL Big frame, needs more weight, athletic, should be great in 2 years
Dan Orseske P Medical RS, we've seen the leg, should start next year
Nick Rengel FB/TE I'd compare him to Hoese/Nick TA with better tools, a true H-back
Joey Searcy DT Greyshirt should be a rotation guy behind Kirksey/Edwards
Brent Singleton LB I was impressed with him at the fall scrimmage, needs to be bigger
Kenneth Watkins DB I swear he's been playing special teams, future at safety
Jeff Wills OL Starter, he should be able to drop 20-30 and get stronger the offseason and be ready to rock for next year

Overall more redshirts means more development, look at Cooper, Wilhite, and Whaley.
Alot of talent in the 09' class, we should have a good idea about our DE's for the future after seeing what Garin, KGM, and Hageman have to offer

Thanks Ole for that breakdown.

A lot of potentially exciting players in the last couple classes as well as in the '10 class. I am interested to see how Alipate is utilized. I suspect that he will not see the field a lot (if at all) until 2011, when perhaps we stay with the 2 QB system with Gray and Alipate. Then a couple years later it could be Alipate and Parish doing the same thing.

I am especially excited to see guys like Hageman, Garin, Maresh, and Gregory-McGhee. They appear to be players who combine good size and good to great speed.

Thanks Ole for that breakdown.

A lot of potentially exciting players in the last couple classes as well as in the '10 class. I am interested to see how Alipate is utilized. I suspect that he will not see the field a lot (if at all) until 2011, when perhaps we stay with the 2 QB system with Gray and Alipate. Then a couple years later it could be Alipate and Parish doing the same thing.

I am especially excited to see guys like Hageman, Garin, Maresh, and Gregory-McGhee. They appear to be players who combine good size and good to great speed.

The DE quartet of Hageman, Garin, Gregory-McGhee, and Wilhite should produce the defensive end starters for the next 3-4 years. I really noticed Garin's getoff in the fall scrimmage, he just plain has great explosion off the ball. Hageman and KGM are legit 6-6 6-7 and will grow into 270-300 lb bodies with good athleticism. Wilhite has flashed, but it's clear he needs to work on his strength and technique. I just really like the athleticism coming in the next few classes. The players on this team in 2-3 years will be a level above anything to come through this program in a long time.

linebackers next year will be freshmen and sophomores

DE's will be freshmen for the most part

the secondary will have some freshmen and sophomores

this is when we start to build it

i'm not trying to rip todays defense.......but we are about to cycle from mason defenses into more athletic defenses

The DE quartet of Hageman, Garin, Gregory-McGhee, and Wilhite should produce the defensive end starters for the next 3-4 years. I really noticed Garin's getoff in the fall scrimmage, he just plain has great explosion off the ball. Hageman and KGM are legit 6-6 6-7 and will grow into 270-300 lb bodies with good athleticism. Wilhite has flashed, but it's clear he needs to work on his strength and technique. I just really like the athleticism coming in the next few classes. The players on this team in 2-3 years will be a level above anything to come through this program in a long time.

remember in the 08 class most of the d. ends were recruited as athletes and did not play on the defensive side of the ball... most were running backs that required a different skill set.. than a d end would possess... they were recruited for good size and great speed of the edges... the fact that they have learned a new skill set and are contributing is a testament of coaching hard work and determination.....watch out after thee years of that formula

remember in the 08 class most of the d. ends were recruited as athletes and did not play on the defensive side of the ball... most were running backs that required a different skill set.. than a d end would possess... they were recruited for good size and great speed of the edges... the fact that they have learned a new skill set and are contributing is a testament of coaching hard work and determination.....watch out after thee years of that formula

Yep, BTW I love the recruiting theory on the DL. Get big framed guys that can move and teach them how to put their hand on the ground. Cross has some serious talent in the 08 and 09 groups, he very well could mold these guys into a feared unit if they can develop the technique and mental aspects of the pass rush.

Tramaine Brock was good for the year he was here.

Tramaine Brock was good for the year he was here.

Agreed, I would have had him on the list of impact players if he were still around.

I really think Brock's presence this year could have been worth a couple more wins. Easy to speculate, of course, but having him in the secondary taking the place of either Royston or Theret would have added much needed talent and depth to the defense.

Top Bottom