KC Star: Kansas took two D-line transfers from Minnesota. They think Jayhawks are ‘hungrier’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the KC Star:

“I feel like it was a real easy adjustment,” Booker said on Thursday. “I don’t give Minnesota too much credit, but I will give them credit for preparing me and definitely teaching me a lot about football and culture. So I feel like it’s a super easy transition and working right (into) it as well.”

Booker has also enjoyed getting to know his teammates.

“I feel like the culture fits me a lot better,” Booker said. “I’m definitely a lot happier here. Then, outside of football, all of the players have been real welcoming. I’ve had a good time so far.”

Overall, Booker feels KU’s defensive line has a much different feel around it than his time at Minnesota.

“I feel like we are a lot more younger, a lot more hungrier than Minnesota’s D-line I was part of,” he said. “It’s a good thing and a bad thing. Development is a good thing, but also having a young guy who’s more hungry than an older guy can definitely help.”

Go Gophers!!

per the KC Star:

“I feel like it was a real easy adjustment,” Booker said on Thursday. “I don’t give Minnesota too much credit, but I will give them credit for preparing me and definitely teaching me a lot about football and culture. So I feel like it’s a super easy transition and working right (into) it as well.”

Booker has also enjoyed getting to know his teammates.

“I feel like the culture fits me a lot better,” Booker said. “I’m definitely a lot happier here. Then, outside of football, all of the players have been real welcoming. I’ve had a good time so far.”

Overall, Booker feels KU’s defensive line has a much different feel around it than his time at Minnesota.

“I feel like we are a lot more younger, a lot more hungrier than Minnesota’s D-line I was part of,” he said. “It’s a good thing and a bad thing. Development is a good thing, but also having a young guy who’s more hungry than an older guy can definitely help.”

Go Gophers!!
Doesn't want to give Minnesota any credit, then does with their teaching of football, preparation and culture. Zero contradictions there..

Funny read...

Players leave a team via the portal for various reasons. In a situation where you have a large number of individuals with so many different personalities, it is inevitable that some won't be happy, whether we're talking about a football team or a place of employment. And whether you're a player or an employee, there isn't a situation in existence that make everybody happy.

Good luck to him. I'm glad he found a better fit.

Understand it's spring and they are looking for stories. I also understand that the writer may not have written the headline. That said, in an article referring to two Minnesota transfers, it might be nice if they had talked to both of them before publishing an article about what "they" think. Keys isn't quoted at all. And Booker basically says that, while he learned how to be a better football player at Minnesota, they played the older, more experienced guys and he's having more fun in Kansas.

I think the fact of the matter is that Minnesota (the state) has a culture, and I've heard this from multiple people who move here, can be cold and hard to make new friends/meet people.

You'd think people on the team would always be welcoming to outside players, or at least outsider players would band together. But don't know for sure.

Probably a tough transition for some. Is what it is.

I think the fact of the matter is that Minnesota (the state) has a culture, and I've heard this from multiple people who move here, can be cold and hard to make new friends/meet people.

You'd think people on the team would always be welcoming to outside players, or at least outsider players would band together. But don't know for sure.

Can also have to do with team rules or just some team personalities fit some people better than others. Most of the team and coaching staff are not from Minnesota so I doubt it has to do with "Minnesota" culture. He probably just wasn't a fit for PJ's culture and/or knew he wasn't going to get playing time here.

Clearly Mangino and Weis left their legacy on the Jayhawk training table

I would agree with this. But there are so many transplants here that it's easy to find a fit eventually. And the more time I spent here the more native Minnesotans come around.

I've heard the following statement or variations of it quite a few times and I think it's about as accurate of a description as you'll find regarding Minnesotans:

Minnesotans will tell you all about their lake cabin up north, except for the address.

I would agree with this. But there are so many transplants here that it's easy to find a fit eventually. And the more time I spent here the more native Minnesotans come around.

I've heard the following statement or variations of it quite a few times and I think it's about as accurate of a description as you'll find regarding Minnesotans:

Minnesotans will tell you all about their lake cabin up north, except for the address.
To be fair, in your case it's probably because you're a hawk fan. (joking)

I've heard what you're saying before and my response would be, I guess it just depends. My wife is not from here and her family and friends were very surprised at their misconceptions of what Minnesota was going to be like.

Which programs football future would you rather have Golden Gophers or Jayhawks?

100% Gophers and I dont think that is because Im a Gopher fan

There are always going to be malcontents in any program for one reason or another. Good luck to both Gage Keys and Austin Booker.

In all seriousness I just assume this is just a quote gone wrong for any number of reasons and not intended to be a shot as much as talk about how “hungry” they are.

Top Bottom