KC presser for Penn St

Gophers_4life

Banned
Reaction score
https://247sports.com/college/minne...te-Football-Preview-Kirk-Ciarrocca-195668056/

When you look at at the first half of the year, what are the primary categories you felt you've done well, and what are the things you feel like you need to improve on big picture wise?

Offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca: "Well, we did really well the first four weeks.
I think we just we have to become more consistent. We have to develop the ability to make more explosive plays, and just be more consistent overall in every phase. But that consistency is the biggest thing as we continue to develop our players. I think the explosive play stuff will come back around with us, but consistency."

What's been your message to the receivers this week as they try to get back on track?

Offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca: "I think it's really simple is that they got to stay aggressive.
I talked to then about when I got here in December, and I watched the bowl prep, and I'm analyzing where everybody's at, right? And then I watch them go through the winter and I'm analyzing where are we in our development, and I watched them in spring ball and I've watched them improve. And then go through training camp and then the first part of the season, I've watched him improve consistently.
And they got to stay aggressive. And that's where like in training camp when I thought they were starting to turn the corner, was because they were aggressive. They were attacking every ball. They were attacking every route as if they were going to win. Did they win them all? No.
But I just wanted to see them get back to that mindset. That determined and committed mindset that it takes in order to continue to grow and improve and to get better. But you got to attack, as if you hesitate, you've decreased your chances of having a positive outcome exponentially. They're good players, and they've proven that they can play at a at a high level.
But they have to take what they've learned through their experiences, and now use that as fuel and fire to help them keep moving forward, and to play confidently. So I just want to see them be aggressive on Saturday, I didn't think we were as aggressive against Illinois. I just want to see that aggressive mindset and eventually it'll happen for them. They have enough talent to be able to do it."

Is it just me ..... or does this inspire absolutely zero confidence that we will see literally anything change on offense, this week vs PSU, from what we've seen the last two games?
I don't think KC is much for going in front of the microphone, so I don't put a lot of stock into it one way or another.

Sad but true. Our receivers can be as aggressive as possible but not sure they have the physical abilities to get separation from the defense. Especially this week when they will see 4 and 5 star defensive backs.

Is it just me ..... or does this inspire absolutely zero confidence that we will see literally anything change on offense, this week vs PSU, from what we've seen the last two games?
Wasn't expecting him to cut open a vein and open up about what they plan to do differently...

Sad but true. Our receivers can be as aggressive as possible but not sure they have the physical abilities to get separation from the defense. Especially this week when they will see 4 and 5 star defensive backs.

I feel a little better about the "separation" issue after flipping back through the game. A lot of balls were thrown behind the receiver which made them hesitate and allowed the DB to close. Some of those were obvious PI calls that didn't get made. Regardless, I'm not sure Tanner is going to change. Maybe the short crossing routes can be corrected quickly, but he's always underthrown the long ball.

I feel a little better about the "separation" issue after flipping back through the game. A lot of balls were thrown behind the receiver which made them hesitate and allowed the DB to close. Some of those were obvious PI calls that didn't get made. Regardless, I'm not sure Tanner is going to change. Maybe the short crossing routes can be corrected quickly, but he's always underthrown the long ball.
Underthrowing a long ball is actually a good thing ... if you get the PI call. It gets called quite a lot. Maybe we got unlucky with a crew that doesn't want to call it.

Wasn't expecting him to cut open a vein and open up about what they plan to do differently...
Well I suppose he could just be lying, to try to trick PSU.

I would like to think that we don't think we need to stoop to that level of gamesmanship, but I wouldn't put it past Fleck's MO for the staff.

Well I suppose he could just be lying, to try to trick PSU.

I would like to think that we don't think we need to stoop to that level of gamesmanship, but I wouldn't put it past Fleck's MO for the staff.
Not sure how you got that from my post.

Underthrowing a long ball is actually a good thing ... if you get the PI call. It gets called quite a lot. Maybe we got unlucky with a crew that doesn't want to call it.
Contact that happens on underthrown balls doesn’t favor the WR by default. If the DB ends up being closer to the ball, and is at least turning back toward the ball, they’re not going to call it. Likewise, “faceguarding” is not a penalty even if not looking at the ball.

Actually in a study by Ken Pomroy, if a pass longer than 12 to 15, is intercepted, a 5% chance it was overthrown, 11% change it was underthrown. The rest is between tipped passes and great defense.

Not sure how you got that from my post.
If they do actually have a plan to do things different on offense, and he then said what he said at the presser, to me that's not that far off from lying to the fans and media.

PJ is one who likes to prevent any and all information about his team from getting out, so that would align with his MO.

You could say something like "we need to take a hard look at what we're doing schematically and who we put out there, if we have guys not playing aggressively enough" without really giving anything away.

Hell, if anything, KC basically saying "we aren't going to do a single thing differently, we're just going to try to get the guys to play like they did against MSU instead of how they've played the last two games" makes it easier on Penn St. Gives them less to prepare for.

Unless, of course, the plan was to be dishonest about that. Maybe it was

If they do actually have a plan to do things different on offense, and he then said what he said at the presser, to me that's not that far off from lying to the fans and media.

PJ is one who likes to prevent any and all information about his team from getting out, so that would align with his MO.

You could say something like "we need to take a hard look at what we're doing schematically and who we put out there, if we have guys not playing aggressively enough" without really giving anything away.

Hell, if anything, KC basically saying "we aren't going to do a single thing differently, we're just going to try to get the guys to play like they did against MSU instead of how they've played the last two games" makes it easier on Penn St. Gives them less to prepare for.

Unless, of course, the plan was to be dishonest about that. Maybe it was
Coming out for the second half against Purdue, the sideline reporter asked PJ if he planned to go to the air in light of the fact our running game had been totally stymied in the first half. PJ replied, Oh no, we just need to block and run better (without Mo).

Top Bottom