KARE 11: Excessive heat on stadium turf alters UMN Marching Band's game plan (video)

Oh man I think I remember that last game…
I certainly will never forget. Morning practice in the dark for the band, so cold the brass instruments froze during the short read between our first and second song so we all went inside as the staff figured out what to do for halftime.

Sent out the drumline to perform their indoor concert routine for the majority of the halftime show while the instruments were desperately thawed out inside. Only played one song from our halftime show and Hail MN before halftime was over.

I felt bad for the clarinet players since they needed their bare fingers to be able to seal their instrument's holes to play...most everyone else could put gloves on.

I think the turf temp differential from first game to last was something like 120+ degrees.

I certainly will never forget. Morning practice in the dark for the band, so cold the brass instruments froze during the short read between our first and second song so we all went inside as the staff figured out what to do for halftime.

Sent out the drumline to perform their indoor concert routine for the majority of the halftime show while the instruments were desperately thawed out inside. Only played one song from our halftime show and Hail MN before halftime was over.

I felt bad for the clarinet players since they needed their bare fingers to be able to seal their instrument's holes to play...most everyone else could put gloves on.

I think the turf temp differential from first game to last was something like 120+ degrees.
I was with everyone else at half time in the bathroom packed TIGHT cowering like refugees in a bomb shelter... just trying to stay alive.

I gave my extra hand warmers to some little kids whose feet had frozen.

Top Bottom