Kamal Martin to Bypass the Outback Bowl

Is there a published guide to what is a "meaningless bowl game" and what is a "meaningful bowl game"? The Rose Bowl isn't part of the playoff so is that meaningless? The Outback Bowl is on New Year's Day with a sizable TV audience so is that meaningful?

Are only New Years 6 bowls meaningful? Is a bowl game between two ranked teams meaningful? Are all bowl games meaningful? Are no bowl games meaningful?

I'm guessing these definitions are in the eye of the beholder. As a guy that has watched college football my whole life and long dreamed to see my favorite team play on New Years Day, especially in the Rose Bowl but certainly the Citrus or Outback bowls too considering all the interesting examples of those games played between B1G and SEC teams over the years, personally I see the Outback Bowl as meaningful.

I thought I saw it on twitter somewhere, but could be wrong. Any news on any others yet whether in or out?
As far as I know, it is just Martin who has opted out. When the bowl announcements were made, Winston was the spokesman for the team talking about how he was looking forward to playing one last game with his teammates, so I would be very surprised if he doesn’t play (absent an injury between now and then).

Top Bottom