Kaliakmanis twins lead Antioch

swingman

Reaction score
from Chicago Daily Herald:

Minnesota-bound Athan Kaliakmanis has raised his ability at quarterback to another level. His role leading Antioch shows his growth and efficiency from all of his work effort over the last four years and through offseason work through the quarantine.

Kaliakmanis (11 of 13 passing for 232 yards) threw for 4 touchdowns in the first half as Antioch rolled past North Chicago 61-6 in a Northern Lake County Conference game in Antioch on Thursday night.
"This week we took practice very seriously," Kaliakmanis said. "Week two, we got it all together. I've worked so hard on my accuracy and my arm-strength. I've done a lot with my dad (Alex). He has shown me a lot of things with research. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't look this good."

"One of the things was the decisions he's making at the line and checking in and out of plays," Antioch coach Brian Glashagel said. "He had a couple of great checks. My plays are suggestions to the quarterback, if they see anything else to check off. He had a couple of nice checks and it put us in a better position to move the sticks. It was really good decision-making on his part." Antioch (2-0, 2-0) raced out to a 46-0 lead in the first half as the Sequoits scored on every possession.

Dino Kaliakmanis added 40 yards on 9 carries with rushing touchdowns of 1 and 8 yards and he caught a 42-yard pass.

Chicago Sun Times had a story on the brothers this week:

Senior year has been salvaged for Antioch’s talented Kaliakmanis brothers​

The Antioch brothers, both seniors bound for Minnesota, are very different in their approaches to life.

clark_cst_031721_2005.0.jpg

Antioch football’s Athan Kaliakmanis throws a pass during a Sequoits’ practice.
Allen Cunningham/For the Sun-Times
Athan and Dino Kaliakmanis share a few things, including a last name and a college destination.
But the Antioch brothers, both seniors bound for Minnesota, are very different in their approaches to life.

“My brother is very outgoing,” said Dino, a wide receiver. “He’s very energetic, He loves to bring a light into the room.

“I’m not outgoing. I’m very quiet.”

“They’re polar opposites, personality-wise,” Antioch coach Brian Glashagel said. “Dino is quiet, he’s just non-stop 100 mph in every drill. Doesn’t say a word, leads by example. You don’t have to tell Dino to run hard.”

Athan, a quarterback, doesn’t need to be pushed either. The transformation of his body since his junior season — which ended prematurely with a broken collarbone — is proof of that.

“I put on 30 pounds since the last time I played football,” Athan said before the Sequoits opened their season with a win over Grayslake Central. “It’s not fat.

“I worked so hard, harder than I ever have worked to leave Antioch the best I’ll be.”

He has no doubt his brother will do the same.

“What happens in the dark shines in the light,” Athan said. “Dino is a different animal this year. He’s a different player this year.”
“The guys on my team, I literally grew up with,” Athan said, “I’ve known them since kindergarten.”

But he and his brother weren’t always teammates with the current Sequoits; they played as freshmen at Carmel before transferring back home.

Glashagel knew about them for years. Like other high school coaches, he hears about up-and-comers all the time. Some pan out in high school, some don’t.

Glashagel knew he had something special when college coaches were coming to Antioch to watch their new quarterback, who wasn’t even a high school sophomore yet

That was then. It’s even better now.

“When he throws the ball in the gym, it’s humming,” Glashagel said

Sequoits?

These kids should fit right in.

"Ski-U-Mah" isn't a "real" word either other than its meaning to Minnesota fans.

Athan mentions putting on 30 lbs of muscle since he last played. Wonder if that means he is up in the 220 range now.

So their mascot is a smooth pebble in a stream???? 😳😳😳

Athan mentions putting on 30 lbs of muscle since he last played. Wonder if that means he is up in the 220 range now.
Just a causal 30 pounds of muscle!

What's that quote from The Program where that one guy goes out into the parking lot and starts slamming his head through car windows because he found out he made starter. 😆

I have a hunch that both brothers are going to contribute mightily to the Gophers in the years to come. But my mother is a Greek-American, so I might be a little biased!

Fleck knows how to recruit Illinois.

Excited to continually see how the quarterback position is going to be tougher to win.

Athan is the headliner but Dino is nicknamed the rocket so let’s assume he’ll be good too. He is very athletic, multi positional, special teams ready. LFG!!!

Athan is the headliner but Dino is nicknamed the rocket so let’s assume he’ll be good too. He is very athletic, multi positional, special teams ready. LFG!!!
”Is that a rocket in your pocket?”

Top Bottom