Kaler/Coyle presser -wouldn't say if he would clean house, just create accountability

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here are the very quick notes from the presser. Obviously, I only catch so much as I type, but you'll get the general idea.

Eric Kaler:
• Mark and his family are also coming home, sort of, he and his wife are Iowa natives.
• Mark's new job is a big one, I want to make this clear, I have very high expectations for Mark. We are investing in him. This has been a tough week and couple of months for our men's' basketball program…it simply can't continue. Mark's commitment to integrity is unquestioned.
• At Syracuse last March, he oversaw not one, but 2 final 4 basketball teams.
• Mark also bring an easy going and accessible personality that we wanted.
• Through months of uncertainty our student athletes have been competing.
• Our Gopher athletics program possesses potential. We will also do this work in a financially responsible way. I do want to underscore something, my confidence in Beth Goetz. I'm thankful for her, raised over 15million under her, and she has a bright future.
• Beth's role - I would encourage Beth to say, she has a bright future, she's extremely talented and I know people will be knocking on her door.
• Important for me to bring on an experienced, D1, AD, we have such incredible potential, but people look at FB and Bball, and hockey, in the state of MN…having someone that's been to the final four and fiesta bowl…icing on the cake is the terrific human being Mark Coyle is.
• On his pay - It's remarkable what the avg. compensation for B10 AD's is, $910K. Mark had a strong contract, he will be in the mid range of the Big 10. In the past, we've been satisfied with lower compensation, Mark is in a different class and deserves the compensation he's received.

Mark Coyle:
• I have a great deal of respect for Beth, I followed this program closely over the past 9 months. I look forward to working with her.
• Why Minnesota? It's very simple for me, I've been in this a long time, we love this place. Our kids. (Choking up). Harder than you think.
• Our #1 priority will be our students, we're going to make decisions out of the best interest for our student athletes.
• I can bring stability, I want to come in here and have a chance to visit with people. It's very important for me to be transparent, earn trust, develop those relationships.
• Are you going to clean house? It's my job to create accountability, and I look forward to learning about the program.
• There were conversations with Turnkey, I was very happy at Syracuse, they reached out a few more times, and I had the chance to come home, I'm obviously emotional about that, and had a chance to visit.
• Realistic goals for FB and Bball? All the pieces of the puzzle are here. We come back here every other summer. I've been driving around the stadium, unbelievable. We need to talk about it now. Recruiting is the backbone of everything you do, we have that wow factor. Now we have to create that culture, and expect to win at a high level. Kaler - we need to build a big fence around the state of MN and keep MN athletes at home, if we do that, it should be realistic to win.
• My goal is to get out here after Memorial Day weekend, I need wife's approval on that.
• I regret the timing (leaving stunned people in Syracuse), I'm so grateful for them. I talk all the time, the AD's take a lot of credit and get a lot of heat too. The people up there were phenomenal.
• On Beth Goetz - she handled it with class and well..
• The key with fundraising is relationships. I spent 7 years doing that in Kentucky.
• How much to do you owe Joel Maturi? I'm forever grateful, when I came in as the director of Marketing and Jowl got here a year later, one of the hardest parts about leaving was leaving Joel Maturi. There's not many more people I have more respect for than Joel Maturi.
• Syracuse taught me these are very visible jobs. I never want to lose sight of our students. I learned the importance of not losing sight of why you do this.
• When asked about Teague - My plan is to focus on students, need to turn to the student athletes
On how visible he'll be - My kids will tell you, I can set the record for number of sporting events attended. We have very loyal and hungry fans. I want to be around our supporters, they have a huge impact on our students.*
He was able to not use a search firm at Syracuse, knew coaches and made a hire.

#1 goal is to bring consistency, and stability.

Too much to fix at Syracuse? No truth to that at all. There was one place I was going to leave Syracuse for, and it's Minnesota.*

He will clean house.

What house needs be cleaned other than perhaps men's basketball? (Argued plenty in other threads) Maybe women's? Football is on the upswing. Are you talking about the administrative wing of the department? I can see movement with new leadership but maybe not cleaning house. Does Coyle have a history of bringing a team with him? I don't know. That would give us a clear indication of how much house cleaning he might do.

Today was good day for U athletics, but not necessarily for Pitino

All in all, I think it was a good day for U of M athletics. I don't think Coyle will put up with nonsense.

Conversely, get the impression this was not a good day for Richard Pitino. Kaler pretty much laid down the gauntlet by singling out the men's basketball program. If there's even another whiff of trouble between now and October, no longer certain he'll make it to next season. Richard is on thin ice.

All in all, I think it was a good day for U of M athletics. I don't think Coyle will put up with nonsense.

Conversely, get the impression this was not a good day for Richard Pitino. Kaler pretty much laid down the gauntlet by singling out the men's basketball program. If there's even another whiff of trouble between now and October, no longer certain he'll make it to next season. Richard is on thin ice.

Got the same impression. Don't think Pitino keeps his job if anything else comes up, even if the timing would be terrible. Pretty rare for a president to single out a program in a negative way like that. My only hope if it does happen is that Coyle has an idea of a realistic candidate who would take the job. That is what has always bothered me most about Tubby's firing...there was no plan for a successor. Firing someone doesn't accomplish anything if you don't make a good hire to replace them.

Kaler comes off as a self serving putz. He is the one who should be fired. If you say what he said- you also have to support your coach or you cripple him. He should have done so.

Kaler comes off as a self serving putz. He is the one who should be fired. If you say what he said- you also have to support your coach or you cripple him. He should have done so.

Yeah I never really got the impression Kaler was good for the university at anything. But I could be completely off base on this, just my impressions.

Yep. Kaler is inept. I would love to see him get canned.

I do not think Kaler is inept. He just does not have Gopher athletics as a priority.
How can the FB team be on the upswing? If it is it is not reflected in conference wins or recruiting. There must be some other metric.
The Stracuse BB program is well known for receuiting violations. Their HC is a crook.

I do not think Kaler is inept. He just does not have Gopher athletics as a priority. How can the FB team be on the upswing? If it is it is not reflected in conference wins or recruiting. There must be some other metric. The Stracuse BB program is well known for receuiting violations. Their HC is a crook.

Of which Coyle was a part of for roughly 10 months.

I doubt he cleans house if we have a winning record in the B1G. Except for hockey of course.

Top Bottom