Kadyn Betts to officially redshirt 2022-23 season

Can he still play a certain amount of games or is that a thing of the past?

Can he still play a certain amount of games or is that a thing of the past?

that's just in Football. In hoops, if you play in 1 actual game, you've used a year of eligibility.
Exhibitions do not count, so Betts was able to play against St. Olaf, but not in a regular-season game.

I know some coaches were pushing for a new rule where players could appear in 4 games, but to the best of my knowledge, it didn't go very far.

Now, if you play in a game and get injured, there is still a possibility of a medical redshirt.

Was this expected? I mean to reclassify and then be redshirted. I understand him maybe not being ready this year, but I guess I am just thinking of him missing out on his senior year of high school.

Was this expected? I mean to reclassify and then be redshirted. I understand him maybe not being ready this year, but I guess I am just thinking of him missing out on his senior year of high school.
But, in essence since he was heading out east to play his last year, pretty much the same scenario of missing things.
I thought it was a good move on Ben’s part.

No clue for sure but this was probably the plan all along with him. Gives him a big leg up on other kids from what would have been his graduating class because he will have a full year of college done already and been in the program for a full season.

No clue for sure but this was probably the plan all along with him. Gives him a big leg up on other kids from what would have been his graduating class because he will have a full year of college done already and been in the program for a full season.
Yes and no. Yes he gets to practice against college guys, get on the weight program, etc. I don't know if this is old school or not but I think nothing replaces playing in games. In HS he gets whatever 30ish games to play, develop, find weaknesses etc. You can do that in practice, I just personally dont think its as easy.

I just dont like this much myself, what are the odds Betts is here now 5 years and is a good player for 4, I would wager almost 0%. The one were this stands out that it worked was Race Thompson, went to IU early, sat a year where he bulked up, and is now on his 4th year of being a good player. That feels like the needle in the haystack. There are so many questions that could go the other way. Maybe after 3 months he goes yah this sucks I cant play, I'm leaving, maybe he isnt good and now we spent 5 years on a guy not 4, maybe he gets hurt and using a RS this year is moot, heck maybe he is awesome and is only here 2 years and now we have wasted one. Just seems like for a very thin team this is a red flag. I hope I am wrong and he is our Race and is here 5 years and has a great career, just see that option a the least likely of all possible outcomes.

Yes and no. Yes he gets to practice against college guys, get on the weight program, etc. I don't know if this is old school or not but I think nothing replaces playing in games. In HS he gets whatever 30ish games to play, develop, find weaknesses etc. You can do that in practice, I just personally dont think its as easy.

I just dont like this much myself, what are the odds Betts is here now 5 years and is a good player for 4, I would wager almost 0%. The one were this stands out that it worked was Race Thompson, went to IU early, sat a year where he bulked up, and is now on his 4th year of being a good player. That feels like the needle in the haystack. There are so many questions that could go the other way. Maybe after 3 months he goes yah this sucks I cant play, I'm leaving, maybe he isnt good and now we spent 5 years on a guy not 4, maybe he gets hurt and using a RS this year is moot, heck maybe he is awesome and is only here 2 years and now we have wasted one. Just seems like for a very thin team this is a red flag. I hope I am wrong and he is our Race and is here 5 years and has a great career, just see that option a the least likely of all possible outcomes.
Guess I see it the other way. If he was never really part of the plans for this year anyway then it means he gets to spend the year getting into college basketball shape and developing chemistry with his teammates. He gets to spend a year running Ben's offense and defense and getting direct feedback from the coaches to improve his game.

Then as a redshirt freshman he is hopefully ready to be a part of the rotation in a way that he probably would not have been if he was just now coming in as a true freshman for the 23-24 season and starting from square one.

I would think this greatly improves his chances of being a legit piece of the rotation for the 23-24 season.

I'd like this move a lot better if we weren't dealing with so many injuries. This leaves us with only 8 healthy scholarship players until Carrington/Battle are upgraded. Praying for this team's health right now : )

I'd like this move a lot better if we weren't dealing with so many injuries. This leaves us with only 8 healthy scholarship players until Carrington/Battle are upgraded. Praying for this team's health right now : )
It is a shame that basketball doesn't have the rule like football where you can play a few games and still redshirt.

I think Betts now becomes the equivalent of "break glass in case of emergency."

If there are injuries, and he has to play, then you pull the red-shirt.

If the team stays healthy, Betts gets the year to get stronger, ease into college life and classes, bond with teammates, and learn the system.

that also means that, in practical terms, next year's recruiting class is Evans, Christie and Betts. that's a nice group to add to this year's FR class.

Yeah, I don't get why you'd announce it.

Just don't play him unless you need him. If he doesn't play all season, he can RS. If we need to use him, then we get to get him some run and experience.

Dumb question: a “redshirt” isn’t anything official until the season is done, right? So if we’re mid game and we need him, he could go in at any time, and just at that point it’s no longer considered a redshirt season?

I suppose all this does is stops people from speculating on why he isn’t playing.

Dumb question: a “redshirt” isn’t anything official until the season is done, right? So if we’re mid game and we need him, he could go in at any time, and just at that point it’s no longer considered a redshirt season?

I suppose all this does is stops people from speculating on why he isn’t playing.
I think that would be a good reason to announce it -- so those of us on message boards don't sit here typing "the Betts kid must suck if he can't even see the floor." Protects him a little if they know this is the plan from the start. They can always play him in an emergency.

First, Betts comes in much more highly regarded than Race Thompson. The plan the whole time was to give him a chance to prove himself this summer and fall or redshirt. He was fully aware of this.

Johnson and the program wanted to lock Betts up as there other programs sniffing around. Betts got the benefit of locking in his schollie this summer instead of an injury potentially putting it in doubt. Betts will have an opportunity to hit the ground running next year after a full year of B1G level training, conditioning, and meals. Betts gets to focus more on academics to ensure that he is where he wants to be in that arena.

He was going to receive a schollie for 4 years anyway. Johnson had an extra schollie for this year so he gave this to the young man. This doesn't extend the risk to the program another year. It simply uses what would have been an unused schollie for this season.

First, Betts comes in much more highly regarded than Race Thompson. The plan the whole time was to give him a chance to prove himself this summer and fall or redshirt. He was fully aware of this.

Johnson and the program wanted to lock Betts up as there other programs sniffing around. Betts got the benefit of locking in his schollie this summer instead of an injury potentially putting it in doubt. Betts will have an opportunity to hit the ground running next year after a full year of B1G level training, conditioning, and meals. Betts gets to focus more on academics to ensure that he is where he wants to be in that arena.

He was going to receive a schollie for 4 years anyway. Johnson had an extra schollie for this year so he gave this to the young man. This doesn't extend the risk to the program another year. It simply uses what would have been an unused schollie for this season.
Agreed, Betts will be so much better prepared for next season than if he went to his academy. I've only seen him on film, but he doesn't look like someone who would be ready to play on a front line in the Big Ten. If he has good relationships with coaches and players, this may work nicely for next year and beyond.

Announcing it eliminates the questions as to why you aren't playing him.
Why would he care about that? The only people who follow the team close enough to care would understand that was the likely scenario if he wasn't playing. If there are injuries, the same group of people will be the only ones asking him to pull the redshirt.

The casual fan won't know or give a crap.

Last edited:

Why would he care about that? The only people who follow the team close enough to care would understand that was the likely scenario if he wasn't playing. If there are injuries, the same group of people will be the only ones asking him to pull the scholarship.

The casual fan won't know or give a crap.
Who knows.....sure he had his reason for making the announcement. As was pointed out it doesn't really matter as they could always decide to pull it later.

Who knows.....sure he had his reason for making the announcement. As was pointed out it doesn't really matter as they could always decide to pull it later.
Yeah, who knows, clearly not me either, hence why I asked the question.

What? No he doesn't.
The buzz surrounding Betts this summer was on a whole different level than Thompson in 2017. Betts rankings shot up across the board with PrepHoop bumping him all the way to 87th in the nation. Betts was getting interest from some notable programs but he committed to the Gophers quickly after his offer. It was very well known in recruiting circles that he was very interested in MN due to the family connections and familiarity so .

The buzz surrounding Betts this summer was on a whole different level than Thompson in 2017. Betts rankings shot up across the board with PrepHoop bumping him all the way to 87th in the nation. Betts was getting interest from some notable programs but he committed to the Gophers quickly after his offer. It was very well known in recruiting circles that he was very interested in MN due to the family connections and familiarity so .
Betts might have more buzz but if I recall Race was more physically ready to play in the Big Ten as an early freshman than Betts is. I know Race redshirted but don’t remember if it was for development or injury that first year.

No it wasn't. Thompson was a 4* recruit and had offers from Michigan, Baylor, and a bunch of other power 6 schools in addition to Indiana where he ended up.

Betts had received only one other offer this year and that was from Nebraska which is his best offer besides the Gophers. He's not close to the same level.

Betts might have more buzz but if I recall Race was more physically ready to play in the Big Ten as an early freshman than Betts is. I know Race redshirted but don’t remember if it was for development or injury that first year.
Race redshirted for development. He left Armstrong with the full intent to redshirt and not play. Thompson was bigger, Betts is taller and more athletic.

Top Bottom