Kadyn Betts Announces He's Returning to Minnesota

Hasn’t done much yet but there is potential there. And hey, in this time of craziness and roster turnover it is nice to see a guy excited to stick around.

Hopefully he blows up in a big way this season!

Good to hear....although if he was leaving, it would be time to just shut the program down.

I actually love this. A kid staying the course and trusting the coaches and his own ability to improve and earn time! That's a little unique in these times.
He is a skilled player. With another few months of strength training and summer ball, he will definitely see playing time and will help this team. I am guessing he will surprise some. Look forward to seeing him play!

This is great and I will be rooting for him to have success. Come to program a year earlier, spend time developing, and soon I hope he proves people wrong and becomes a strong contributor. He has 2 good people to get advice from in Garcia and Fox!

What exactly is our assessment of Mr Betts after two almost completely in constructive years?

Is he a young man who came in early and needed to gain weight strength and experience. Or a typical Minnesota reach recruit who will never account for anything.

Here’s hoping he finds constructive minutes and helps the team improve.

Really need this guy to have a breakthough year if this team wants to make a jump.

He and Asuma are the wild cards at this point.

Need them both to boom rather than bust.

He's a good talent to have in the pipeline. No guarantees. Sometimes guys surprise, like Fox.

I have high hopes for him as he falls well into the rotation. Obviously coach and he have discussed the future plan. He seems to have grown in height and width since the end of last season. 3-4 star recruit, best at position in CO, then he reclassified to gain a year of P5 instruction, physio. The more he plays, I feel the better handle he will have moving forward at this level. Have to believe the Betts plan is why Kristupas Keinys left. Incidentally, his teammate Murauskas is out of AZ w/Ballo.

Payne, Carrington, JOJ could have been the issue for him not seeing more time and coach was trying to protect them from leaving???? but then now has finally ok with cutting that cord and letting them go! Be nice if Betts turns into a STUD who dunks over Payne and not be in foul trouble 3/4 of the games.

Has to be in the rotation next year for him to stick around.
He is really in a Great spot being a sophomore now and Garcia and hopefully(Fox) being their last years. Hopefully 3 good years to come!

Payne, Carrington, JOJ could have been the issue for him not seeing more time and coach was trying to protect them from leaving???? but then now has finally ok with cutting that cord and letting them go! Be nice if Betts turns into a STUD who dunks over Payne and not be in foul trouble 3/4 of the games.
He had enough floor time early to suggest he wasn’t ready yet this year. Highly doubt he was pushed down the bench to keep others happy.

I actually love this. A kid staying the course and trusting the coaches and his own ability to improve and earn time! That's a little unique in these times.

Or maybe he knows he was going to drop down a level if he entered the portal?

let's go to the numbers for Kadyn Betts

8 games - 57 minutes - 4 of 15 FG (26.7%) - 1 of 8 3pt (25%) - 1 of 1 FT (100%) - 10 points - 2 Reb - 3 ast - 2 to -

for a player who has been in the program for 2 years. granted, 1 was a redshirt year, but he was part of the program - going to practice, working in the weight room, learning the system, etc.

if there's something there, he has to show it now.

8 games - 57 minutes - 4 of 15 FG (26.7%) - 1 of 8 3pt (25%) - 1 of 1 FT (100%) - 10 points - 2 Reb - 3 ast - 2 to -

for a player who has been in the program for 2 years. granted, 1 was a redshirt year, but he was part of the program - going to practice, working in the weight room, learning the system, etc.

A shot at playing time will either do wonders or it will expose him. Last year at the 4 he had Ihnen (at the start of the year), JOJ through most of the year, Garcia, the whole year and Fox for the last half of the year- all ahead of him. I think he has the ability- it is just a matter of what Ben can get out of him.

So he’s a great free throw shooter! Get him on the court!

Some of this is just up to him. He's a good athlete and seems to be a decent shooter. If he defends, does the little things, and knocks down open looks. He could be a really important stretch 4 type player for us. If he needs the offense to run through him for him to be effective (JOJ), it won't be a good year for Betts.

Some of this is just up to him. He's a good athlete and seems to be a decent shooter. If he defends, does the little things, and knocks down open looks. He could be a really important stretch 4 type player for us. If he needs the offense to run through him for him to be effective (JOJ), it won't be a good year for Betts.
If a guy coming off two years of pine thinks he needs the offense to run through him, he’s got big problems. Hard to believe a guy with his background would be that delusional.

If a guy coming off two years of pine thinks he needs the offense to run through him, he’s got big problems. Hard to believe a guy with his background would be that delusional.
I don't think it's a conscious decision for a lot of these guys. I think it's just how they're used to playing basketball (the game has been run through them their entire lives), so they don't get good at moving without the basketball and being role players.

Top Bottom