Justin Walley: I need someone to show me some fishing spots near Minneapolis

Justin "Walleye". I see NIL written all over it. He and Tyler Brown can enter a few team tournaments with Loewe as head coach.

Last edited:

I moved my boat from my home to my cabin 12 years ago. With that move, my considerable number of days fishing Lake Minnetonka came to an end. Otherwise I’d be happy to help the lad out with his question.

True story... In the early 90s the Billds were down at the waterworks at St. Anthony Falls exploring the trails and "ruins" down along the river. There was a spillway on the east bank that was open with a pretty good flow coming down from it...not quite a waterfall but still a pretty nice cataract. While looking up at it all of a sudden a really large northern jumped up out of the water just as it started to go down the spillway. Don't know if it survived the drop but it was quite a sight.

As for fishing, the Mississippi is considered a trophy walleye water but you really need a boat as I understand it. Here's a link for a musky out of Bde Maka Ska (otherwise formerly known as Lake Calhoun) from last summer... https://www.fox9.com/news/minneapolis-man-catches-54-5-inch-musky-on-bde-maka-ska.

True story... In the early 90s the Billds were down at the waterworks at St. Anthony Falls exploring the trails and "ruins" down along the river. There was a spillway on the east bank that was open with a pretty good flow coming down from it...not quite a waterfall but still a pretty nice cataract. While looking up at it all of a sudden a really large northern jumped up out of the water just as it started to go down the spillway. Don't know if it survived the drop but it was quite a sight.

As for fishing, the Mississippi is considered a trophy walleye water but you really need a boat as I understand it. Here's a link for a musky out of Bde Maka Ska (otherwise formerly known as Lake Calhoun) from last summer... https://www.fox9.com/news/minneapolis-man-catches-54-5-inch-musky-on-bde-maka-ska.
There's some real monsters of urban fishing that come from that spillway. I used to live right next to it in Stonearch Apartments back in the late Mason era, and would go carp and catfishing in the spillway. Huge sinkers to handle the current, stinky bait, and lots of river monsters from the bank. Up until I moved to Florida a huge carp from that spillway was my PB fish over a lifetime of fishing.

Justin "Walleye". I see NIL written all over it. Him and Tyler Brown can enter a few team tournaments with Loewe as head coach.
Got to think we will see them casting and hooking fish in the near future.

Not sure if it holds true anymore, but 20-25 years ago we used to fish by the Ford Dam...around the island and actually into the lock. A few times the guys in the tower would get on the horn and ask us how they were biting. Of course, when they knew a barge or boat was on its way they'd kindly ask us to move out). Walleyes, pike, crappies, catfish, you name it. Never a dull moment there.
Also had okay luck fishing from shore on Nokomis.

Top Bottom